Ryan, LLC

Updated December 14, 2014
4.0

Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Work life balance, lucrative bonuses if you get on the right team, client services (in 38 reviews)

• The ability to work from home is a plus, but this also means that you are on call at all times (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Ryan LLC

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

great company to work for.

Cons

There are not cons with this company

none

Good company, lot's of potential.

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work environment that allows for work life balance.

Cons

Projects (and therefore bonuses) not evenly distributed. If you are on a good team with good projects that the partners distribute to you, then you're set, but if not, you have to find your own clients or be forced to do junk projects with no profit. Also, this is not a CPA firm so it is difficult to get certified if your manager is not a CPA.

Balance project distribution out better.

Many opportunities for career development, all the tools needed for self-motivated goal oriented professionals

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to set your own schedule and manage your own work-life balance
    Very successful model in place, all the tools you need to succeed are available

Cons

Opportunites to succeed must be sought and created by you - for those that are driven and ready for the challenges, the rewards are immense
    Achieving success is not easy - must be willing to put in extra time and effort at times to succeed

Overall great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexibility and work from home policy. Hours can be long at times and short at others. When you have proven yourself, you will have a lot of flexibility to work the way you want. There is the potential to make a high bonuses, but see the noted cons. Overall, I would recommend Ryan to someone who is looking for a good place to work. There are plenty of opportunities for someone new out of college to get some really valuable business experience and have a fun time with the great people that work there.

Cons

The experience you have varies significantly depends on the team you are on. The area is very niche and although there are exit opportunities to go to the Big 4 and industry, I would doubt that any of these would compare or compete with some of the great things Ryan offers. Ryan is growing to completely own this industry in an almost scary way. As a CPA with 5 years of experience in a general tax area or general area of accounting you can work almost anywhere. With 5 years of experience at Ryan you will not have this same type of flexibility.

Create a discretionary yearly bonuses that is only loosely based off teams revenue. The way success is measured is sometimes a demotivating factor.

Getting better by the week

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing! In 2014 my husband's health insurance was so bad we switched to mine. I'm happy to have an employer who cares about the health of their employees!

Cons

Pay not consisten with industry/city standards

I'm treated as a professional

Current Employee - Ano in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Ano in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ryan's efforts in work-life balance is outstanding. In addition, management is willing to listen to employees through town-hall meetings.

Cons

No issues with the firm

Keep striving to improve employees.

Brilliant place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Motivating Leaders, Inspiring Vision and achievements, Transparent work culture

Cons

It gets better every day

With the path designed and being followed by Ryan; it will definitely meet its goals, earlier then expected

My overall experience at Ryan was absolutely incredible, and I can not imagine a better internship.

Former Employee - Property Tax Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Property Tax Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ryan, LLC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

* You will receive very competitive pay as an intern, and it helps to add to the idea that you are important to Ryan as the other team members will also make clear to you.

* Team environment where you are surrounded by competent, intelligent, hard-working, extremely amicable and helpful coworkers.

* The property tax division is very fast paced as interns are brought in during the busy season, but the advantage to the system is that you are almost instantly working on the same basic projects as the senior consultants and managers (you are helping them with pieces of their larger projects).

* You begin delving into commercial real estate and property tax analysis almost as soon as you arrive and get set up. This allows you to start learning useful things right away.

* You will have a chance to really learn and work in Excel during your internship and will start learning market conditions in your office's regional coverage area. Insights into how property taxes work and how the laws differ from one jurisdiction to the next.

* The property tax division is the probably the most team-oriented inside Ryan as every project is touched by multiple hands/minds.

Cons

* For interns, you will be limited to a 40 hour work schedule, but that may not be an issue unless you are hoping for overtime and trying to save up more money for college, etc.

* Honestly, I can't see too many cons to this internship. It was much better than I could have ever expected, and you will get tons of practical and useable knowledge and skills from it.

Great Experience

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

New and skillful work given with different daily objectives. Key to understand big picture and improving upon it.

Cons

I did not experience any downsides of working for Ryan LLC. I enjoyed my time while i was there.

A little bit of training should be given before starting the job.

Great Experience, so far

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-The opportunity to manage my time and work where I need to - The flexibility of myRyan allows me to work from home or while traveling as needed.
    -I have been supported (and occasionally rewarded) in my ambitions and life goals (CPA, volunteering, etc)
    -Ryan is increasing the focus on personal health and well-being - (realizing this affects productivity as well)

Cons

-I know that much of the flexibility is dependent on your manager/office.
    -The bonus structure is generous, but HIGHLY dependent on the project you are assigned, thereby rewarding more on luck than hard work.
    -At times we have been expected by upper management to produce results "yesterday" that are completely out of our control (ie. getting decisions/responses and updates from the state government, vendors or clients; even after multiple follow-ups and pushing)

Continue to push for greatness and work with your employees to overcome the obstacles (internal and external). People will tell you what they think if you ask them.