Ryan, LLC

Updated July 16, 2014

4.0

Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Ability to set your own schedule and manage your own work-life balance (in 37 reviews)

• The MyRyan program creates a flexible work environment that fits your schedule (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

My overall experience at Ryan was absolutely incredible, and I can not imagine a better internship.

Former Employee - Property Tax Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Property Tax Intern in Atlanta, GA

Pros

* You will receive very competitive pay as an intern, and it helps to add to the idea that you are important to Ryan as the other team members will also make clear to you.

* Team environment where you are surrounded by competent, intelligent, hard-working, extremely amicable and helpful coworkers.

* The property tax division is very fast paced as interns are brought in during the busy season, but the advantage to the system is that you are almost instantly working on the same basic projects as the senior consultants and managers (you are helping them with pieces of their larger projects).

* You begin delving into commercial real estate and property tax analysis almost as soon as you arrive and get set up. This allows you to start learning useful things right away.

* You will have a chance to really learn and work in Excel during your internship and will start learning market conditions in your office's regional coverage area. Insights into how property taxes work and how the laws differ from one jurisdiction to the next.

* The property tax division is the probably the most team-oriented inside Ryan as every project is touched by multiple hands/minds.

Cons

* For interns, you will be limited to a 40 hour work schedule, but that may not be an issue unless you are hoping for overtime and trying to save up more money for college, etc.

* Honestly, I can't see too many cons to this internship. It was much better than I could have ever expected, and you will get tons of practical and useable knowledge and skills from it.

Great Experience

Pros

New and skillful work given with different daily objectives. Key to understand big picture and improving upon it.

Cons

I did not experience any downsides of working for Ryan LLC. I enjoyed my time while i was there.

A little bit of training should be given before starting the job.

Great Experience, so far

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax

Pros

-The opportunity to manage my time and work where I need to - The flexibility of myRyan allows me to work from home or while traveling as needed.
    -I have been supported (and occasionally rewarded) in my ambitions and life goals (CPA, volunteering, etc)
    -Ryan is increasing the focus on personal health and well-being - (realizing this affects productivity as well)

Cons

-I know that much of the flexibility is dependent on your manager/office.
    -The bonus structure is generous, but HIGHLY dependent on the project you are assigned, thereby rewarding more on luck than hard work.
    -At times we have been expected by upper management to produce results "yesterday" that are completely out of our control (ie. getting decisions/responses and updates from the state government, vendors or clients; even after multiple follow-ups and pushing)

Continue to push for greatness and work with your employees to overcome the obstacles (internal and external). People will tell you what they think if you ask them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Most flexible, rewarding workplace imaginable!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Super flexible (work in the office about 10 hours a week, the rest from home). 30 hour work week is normal.

Cons

Constantly watching my phone/email. Sometimes difficult to unplug because we're given so much flexibility.

My career and MyRyan's workplace

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX

Pros

Flexible work hours allow a work life balance.
    Career opportunities are available for those who work hard.

Cons

Too much travel for my position.

Ryan is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Tax Technology Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Technology Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

My Ryan is a great way to balance your work schedule with your other life obligations. Ryan holds all its employees accountable for getting the work done, while at the same time allows its employees to (within reason) work a schedule that is convenient for them.

Cons

I didn't see any cons to working here. It's a great place to start a career! Great potential for advancement for new employees as this is a growing firm!

Great Place To Work! A Breath of Fresh Air!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

Pros

Great work-life balance with myRyan. Ryan offers an awesome benefits package that passes up most companies! Management Team is great and the structure within the company if very sound. They offer an awesome instant support system for their employees through RyanNet. Everything you need is right at your fingertips. Everyone at the Corporate Offices has always been pleasant and great to deal with! They just released a great Tuition Reimbursement plan that will allow employees to grow within the company! Ryan is definitely a breath of fresh air!

Cons

There are no cons that I have come across thus far that worth mentioning.

Keep up the great work! Brint has a great vision and the Executive Team is focused on making that vision happen! It is a win-win situation! Thank you for choosing me to be part of an awesome team!

The BEST company ever.

Pros

I can't emphasize how much Ryan takes care of its employees in all aspects.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about this firm.

Keep up the great work. Ryan LLC will be the company that Brint Ryan has the vision for.

Great Workplace Flexability

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Dallas, TX

Pros

First off, I would like to say that I don't love my job. Taxes can be mundane and boring, but I love working at Ryan. This is mainly driven by the manager and teammates that I work with. In general, the workers that I get negative feedback from about the company have bad managers. Unfortunately, not all managers embrace the myRyan culture. There are also managers who are stingy when it comes to handing out bonuses. My manager allows me to be very flexible with my work hours and is very generous when it comes to bonuses. Understand that if you're looking to be employed at Ryan that the team you work on makes a huge difference in whether you like Ryan or not. The principals and Brint Ryan can't always control that, but if you don't like the team you're on, they want to retain you, so they'll let you explore options with other teams.

I also love Ryan because of the leadership of Brint Ryan and the principals. They are aggressive with their growth strategy, which gives us job security. They are also innovative with their work policies. Not too long ago, you had to put in 50 hour work weeks at a minimum to keep your job at Ryan. And trust me, Brint is putting in 50+ work weeks. He lives and breathes Ryan and is the hardest working person in our company, so it’s likely very difficult for him to implement a policy that says you don’t have to work as many hours as he does. But, he and the other principals took a huge risk in letting employees completely control their work schedule. It’s paid off big for me who doesn’t need to work 50 hours a week to achieve benchmark. Finally, the bonus structure gives employees the opportunity to earn bonuses higher than your salary. It’s a very generous incentive, especially if you’re one of the lucky few to be on a monster project. For me, I don’t get monster bonuses, but the ones I do are enough for me to make more than I would in a B4 firm and I feel a sense of accomplishment.

Finally, I can’t say enough about the unique business structure. Working on hourly projects suck; you have no flexibility on the amount of time you spend on a task and are always have to worry about billing enough hours to make it profitable, not enough hours to get the job done right. Consequently, you end up having to work those long hours just to make you revenue goals. Contingent projects give you the freedom to do the best job in how every many hours it takes you to do it. I never have to worry if I’m spending too little or too much time on a task.
    Overall, I don’t know of any other company in our space or in another industry that offers such flexibility, generous incentive bonuses, and unique business structure. This is all because of the

Cons

Not all managers are created equally. There is little oversight on how managers implement myRyan or the incentive bonuses, so you can end up with a bad manager and everything I said above would not apply.

I have friends on other teams that can't utilize myRyan at all because of their manager. So, I would provide a survey to team members to rate their manager's adherance to myRyan and provide an incentive to mangers rated high and/or help for managers who are rated low.

Pretty sweet gig

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

Pros

Flexible schedules, very fair pay, and pretty good benefits as far as I can tell. Better than any of my friends anyway.

Cons

Pay is only average for the industry, which is just that - average. The benefits and flexibility are great, but, cash is king!

Worked for Ryan, LLC? Contribute to the Community!