Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
4.0

Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Work life balance, lucrative bonuses if you get on the right team, client services (in 38 reviews)

• My Ryan" allows workers to work from home which leads to employee retention (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

The BEST company ever.

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

I can't emphasize how much Ryan takes care of its employees in all aspects.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about this firm.

Keep up the great work. Ryan LLC will be the company that Brint Ryan has the vision for.

Great Workplace Flexability

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

First off, I would like to say that I don't love my job. Taxes can be mundane and boring, but I love working at Ryan. This is mainly driven by the manager and teammates that I work with. In general, the workers that I get negative feedback from about the company have bad managers. Unfortunately, not all managers embrace the myRyan culture. There are also managers who are stingy when it comes to handing out bonuses. My manager allows me to be very flexible with my work hours and is very generous when it comes to bonuses. Understand that if you're looking to be employed at Ryan that the team you work on makes a huge difference in whether you like Ryan or not. The principals and Brint Ryan can't always control that, but if you don't like the team you're on, they want to retain you, so they'll let you explore options with other teams.

I also love Ryan because of the leadership of Brint Ryan and the principals. They are aggressive with their growth strategy, which gives us job security. They are also innovative with their work policies. Not too long ago, you had to put in 50 hour work weeks at a minimum to keep your job at Ryan. And trust me, Brint is putting in 50+ work weeks. He lives and breathes Ryan and is the hardest working person in our company, so it’s likely very difficult for him to implement a policy that says you don’t have to work as many hours as he does. But, he and the other principals took a huge risk in letting employees completely control their work schedule. It’s paid off big for me who doesn’t need to work 50 hours a week to achieve benchmark. Finally, the bonus structure gives employees the opportunity to earn bonuses higher than your salary. It’s a very generous incentive, especially if you’re one of the lucky few to be on a monster project. For me, I don’t get monster bonuses, but the ones I do are enough for me to make more than I would in a B4 firm and I feel a sense of accomplishment.

Finally, I can’t say enough about the unique business structure. Working on hourly projects suck; you have no flexibility on the amount of time you spend on a task and are always have to worry about billing enough hours to make it profitable, not enough hours to get the job done right. Consequently, you end up having to work those long hours just to make you revenue goals. Contingent projects give you the freedom to do the best job in how every many hours it takes you to do it. I never have to worry if I’m spending too little or too much time on a task.
    Overall, I don’t know of any other company in our space or in another industry that offers such flexibility, generous incentive bonuses, and unique business structure. This is all because of the

Cons

Not all managers are created equally. There is little oversight on how managers implement myRyan or the incentive bonuses, so you can end up with a bad manager and everything I said above would not apply.

I have friends on other teams that can't utilize myRyan at all because of their manager. So, I would provide a survey to team members to rate their manager's adherance to myRyan and provide an incentive to mangers rated high and/or help for managers who are rated low.

Pretty sweet gig

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedules, very fair pay, and pretty good benefits as far as I can tell. Better than any of my friends anyway.

Cons

Pay is only average for the industry, which is just that - average. The benefits and flexibility are great, but, cash is king!

Ryan, LLC has a very positive work/life balance culture.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ryan, LLC shows clear vision which is rare in these days of uncertainty. The standards for work product are high. Compensation and fringe benefits are competitive. The flexible work environment is definitely a plus and improves my productivity.

Cons

The down side of having high standards is that you are somtimes disappointed with results and the rewards.

I am a 'lifer' at Ryan. I can't imagine working anywhere else and having such an entrepreneurial opportunity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule is fantastic. I truly do have the freedom to work wherever I want and whenever I want as long as my work gets done. For those in service delivery, there is no limit as to what you can make. Bonuses are not capped out which is great for those projects resulting in significant savings and a significant fee.

Cons

The struggles we are facing as an organization relate to high growth in a short period of time. The infrastructure has to grow quickly to support the organization.

Keep up the good work! myRyan has changed the company for the better and allowed many to spend quality time with their family while still getting their work done.

My last five years at Ryan has been both rewarding and challenging while affording maximum flexibility.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been able to work from multiple Ryan office locations as well as from home when necessary to accommodate demands of family and my husband's job transfer.

Cons

I really don't see any disadvantages to working at Ryan at this time, however, I do anticipate we will experience some bandwidth issues in the area of corporate services as we prepare for accelerated growth.

In the last couple years, I have seen that leadership has taken very positive steps in addressing employee feedback. As we continue to expand globally, we need to develop the appropriate level of IT infrastructure to handle global access points as well as increase resources in non-revenue producing corporate services support areas (Finance, Facilities, IT, Marketing, Professional Development and Training).

Working for Ryan during the past eleven years has been the best experience in my professional career - by far!

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great leadership – The CEO has a great vision for the firm for the future. Importantly, he can articulate this vision clearly and convincingly, and can generate excitement among all of us in making his vision a reality.

Extraordinary work environment and culture – myRyan permits us to work when and where we please whenever possible. The responsibility is placed on us to get the work done on time and to produce work of the highest quality while permitting us to schedule family and personal needs in and around our work at Ryan. The work environment is terrific for individuals who embrace taking responsibility for their work products and work schedules in exchange for the flexibility in scheduling work and personal/family activities. It is all about producing outstanding results for our clients by providing them with the highest quality work products in a timely manner, and that should be the priority in every work environment.

Great co-workers – The work at Ryan is challenging, intellectually stimulating and fulfilling. But, what makes it very special is having terrific people with whom to work. There is a genuine “can do” attitude among the professionals at Ryan and a commitment to do whatever it takes to provide our clients with the highest quality results in a timely fashion, and to surprise and please them by doing more than was asked.

Cons

I have not encountered any downsides in working for Ryan during the past eleven years. It has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and has been the highlight of my professional career.

Keep up the great work! Let’s conquer the world by becoming the leading firm in our industry internationally.

Challenging and rewarding

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy the Firm's bonus structure that compensates people who work hard and bring value to the firm. The flexability Ryan give through the myRyan program is unmatched.

Cons

Can be stressfull at times. Would love to have a Christmas bonus. Wish partners would be more proactive instead of reactive.

It would be nice to have management be more transparent about what is going on. They are doing an execellent job though navigating the direction of the Firm.

I have worked for a Ryan for nearly 2 years and love my job.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I work with are thoroughly professional. They also know how to be friendly and sociable. I enjoy the flexible workplace. They also provide me with all the tools I need to perform my job properly.

Cons

The drive to work in the office is the only negative aspect of this job.

Keep doing what you areoing.

A Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ryan LLC offers a flexible work environment which empowers employees to be in control of their work hours, work location and personal committments. Everybody has the potential to earn above-market compensation. Assignment of professionals to teams results in pro-active efforts to generate value for the firm's clients and a sharing of skills, knowledge and friendship among team members.

In-house technical training is not only excellent but also better than what I experienced in working at a big 4 accounting firm. The training provides in-depth technical education and practical skills on how to perform and document tax recovery reviews.

Cons

I do not have any cons to note.

Nothing to recommend