Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated September 1, 2014
3.9

Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Ability to set your own schedule and manage your own work-life balance (in 37 reviews)

• The MyRyan program creates a flexible work environment that fits your schedule (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good management. Good people. Good company policies and procedures. They give you flexibility in your work schedule. Not a Big 4, but they're just as good without the daily overtime.

Cons

Not much. There will always be some office politics since people within the office have different personalities. Also, they recruit straight out of college like the Big 4s.. so there's a level of immaturity amongst those who are young.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Liked the company until things started 'slipping off its axis...'

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Brint Ryan has been committed to implementing programs and benefits that will better serve his employees. The company has come a long way and I liked the changes that were made.
    The increased flexibility has been good for most employees.
    I was able to work with many functions in my administrative role and build a network of support that helped me better assist those in my office.
    I felt like I could contribute and implement processes and that was welcomed in the office.
    It was a nice place to work until egos got in the way.

Cons

Not sure if exit interviews are used for the stated purposes. Exit interviews/pre-exit interview was used to send out behind the scenes email to leadership team to trash personal reputation and performance. This was just unbelievable and quite disappointing.

Raise system needs to be reviewed. Never had a formal review. Had to approach management when I sensed something was wrong. That's when the floodgate opened with all of these "issues". What happened to ongoing communication and coaching from the "LEADERSHIP" ranks? Attestations regarding data entry errors were not my fault, but it was easy to blame it on "the help."

Company pushes fitness and wellness on a corporate level, but on the local level the managers had a problem with it. What I did on my unpaid lunch break became a sore spot for management and I couldn't understand why.

Management complains about outside interests as if that were a crime. Making a one word generic LinkedIn profile containing "entrepreneur" should not have been raised to me as a bad thing. How dare I think more of myself than just being an admin? Apparently it was felt that I had some nerve to describe myself in that way.

Pay not competitive for admin roles in NYC, but the expectations on how your attitude should be was as if they were paying you big bucks. Make the salary match what you want out of the person so they won't have to think about doing something else outside of work.

Manager wanted a so-called "Dallas-like" personality as if I had not been professional in the 6.5 years that I had been there. I had "lasted" because I had did a good job and got things done. Not because someone was doing me any favors by letting me stay around.

Don't use exit interviews to send out emails on employee performance to 'beat' the publication of what was said by the exiting person. Let them have their say as their last rites.

Honestly I tried to "protect" certain people because I genuinely liked them, but it was all for nothing apparently. So disappointed that email happened after 6 months as a temp making less than $14/hour, then after another 6 years as a FT employee? I proved I was dedicated, and it was the longest that I ever worked anywhere. And all of what I did was trashed. All because I said "office environment" as the reason for me leaving the company. That's the thanks I got. Wow.

Communicate your expectations to employees and don't let things escalate to a point of no return.

Let people be who they want to be outside of work and on their LinkedIn accounts. I represented the company JUST FINE being the person I was when I was off the clock.

Keep expectations professional and not personal. A manager being upset because he wasn't (quote) "number one" to me was a bit much. Especially to the person that you barely spoke to, who didn't get a raise, a bonus, and was getting paid below market rate. Honestly, making you feel 'number one' is a job for your spouse. I wasn't getting paid enough to be anyone's Edith Bunker.

People are individuals. Never tell anyone to 'be like' another person. Statements like "Be like the ladies in Dallas", or be like this person or that person is not how supervisors should coach employees. People will become resentful when things are stated in that way. That's like saying "I wish you would be more like my ex-wife or ex-husband." Focus on SKILLS and CHARACTERISTICS that you would like emulated. I'm sure any HR professional will tell you that as well. Management needs training in coaching employees at that company big time.

I was honest in everything that I said in my conversations regarding my exit. Manager felt betrayed and I have no idea why when I was the one who served my head on a platter and left voluntarily. I did that to make others happy...not myself. But in the end I didn't even get credit for that. I put others before myself and I was still made out to be a bad employee anyway in some email. So no matter what I did, I just couldn't win.

My career and MyRyan's workplace

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible work hours allow a work life balance.
    Career opportunities are available for those who work hard.

Cons

Too much travel for my position.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ryan is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Tax Technology Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Technology Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

My Ryan is a great way to balance your work schedule with your other life obligations. Ryan holds all its employees accountable for getting the work done, while at the same time allows its employees to (within reason) work a schedule that is convenient for them.

Cons

I didn't see any cons to working here. It's a great place to start a career! Great potential for advancement for new employees as this is a growing firm!

Be weary if you are in a corporate support position

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Global tax firm known for finding significant client savings

Cons

Limited work life balance, managers are not trusted to make business decisions, people are seen as a commodity. Senior leadership has no respect for corporate staff and treats them like "overhead".

The support staff work very hard, but need more resources to do their job. Stop treating people as though they can be replaced!

Intern perspective

Current Employee - Intern  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great flexibility! Even as an intern I was given quite a bit of flexibility throughout my internship. The bonus structure also makes the company quite competitive from the typical CPA firms. They also offer terrific training if you lack skills in programs such as excel and access. Their technical training wasn't very effective in my opinion however. I did accept a full time offer with the company. I do believe this is a great place to start a career if you don't want to do the whole big 4 thing while still doing taxes yet not spending countless hours doing tax returns. You get the opportunity to do a variety of tasks at Ryan which was nice.

Cons

Although the bonus structure is great it takes a good deal of time before you see these bonuses. And as much as I hate to admit, your happiness at Ryan ultimately depends on what team you end up on. Not all managers are created equal and not all managers embrace the flexibility of myRyan. Thankfully, I had a wonderful manager but it is still a drawback of working there. I also couldn't stand how the company micromanages every little detail and requires multiple approvals for even the smallest things. I understand the company wants to effectively allocate their resources but some of these internal procedures are inefficient when you have to wait on management and ownership approval on certain things.

The flexibility is great but not all managers embrace this. Make sure all managers are following the blueprint set out by the CEO. Also I think at the current rate of growth with the company that some of the internal processes need to change to be more efficient. I also think interns should be entitled to bonuses for their work they contribute to projects as well. Interns are treated the same as first year consultants so I believe the work they spend on projects should be rewarded. Also I think the hourly pay rate needs to be closer to the CPA competitors.

Internal processes are choking the company

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

The company is very customer centered and will do what is right by the customer. They also do a good public service by trying to limit tax burdens.

Cons

Generally speaking, mistakes are not tolerated well. When a mistake happens, the reaction is to create an internal process to make sure that the same/similar mistake does not happen again. The result is a mountain of interal processes and policies that take away decision-making ability. It also results in resources being mis-allocated to managing internal process instead of working on the business. The Chief of Staff spends most of her time creating this internal bureaucracy -- she also implements ineffective HR programs just for the sake of trying to win workplace awards (rather than HR programs that acutally help the business).

Go through internal processes/policies one a time and strike the ones that don't help the business.

Ok Place to Start Your Career

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can set your own work hours if your manager approves. Flexible vacation time

Cons

You are expected to work until the job is done, which can vary depending on the project. You do not get a set amount of PTO. You can utilize "myryan" if your manager approves it. Apparently not too many managers approve it because no one is working from home. Basically if you don't have an emergency you will be in the office. Expect to be overworked and overwhelmed.

Bonuses are few in between and expect to be work for a year and a half before you will see a bonus. Depending on your projects bonuses may not be too rewarding and not every project will get you a bonus. Most likely there will be several dead end projects.

There is no training aside from the one week technical training that is irrelevant. Other than that hopefully someone on your team is good at helping you learn the job. Don't expect a warm welcome because majority of people will not even speak. The atmosphere can be strange. A lot of people are walking around pretending to be satisfied but are not happy with their current position. People are consistently quitting or getting fired, especially around promotion time. There is a lot of turnover, expect to have a newly staffed office every year.

Check in with employees before they leave the firm. Make sure employees are knowledgeable about the bonus structure.

Plenty of freedom, not much money.

Current Employee - Consultant, Property Tax  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Consultant, Property Tax in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of freedom in your work/life balance. Easy to work from home. Work is not monotonous and gives plenty of opportunity to network.

Cons

Salaries are way too low compared to other tax consulting firms, regardless of the fact that the CEO brags about being better than the Big 4.

Set salaries to attract talent away from the other tax consulting firms rather than paying large finder bonuses for recruiting people from those firms. That makes me feel like you value people fro other companies more than your own employees.

In a rut for entire career

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The workplace flexibility is incredible. I can work whenever and wherever I want. I just need to focus on completing my work.

Cons

An absolute vacation is out of the question. Managers are always on call. Additionally, employees are placed in a practice area with little ability to learn new areas.

Develop a system for employees to cross train and learn different practice areas. Additionally, give employees resources for covering work when on vacation.

Worked for Ryan, LLC? Contribute to the Community!