Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated August 23, 2014

4.0

Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Ability to set your own schedule and manage your own work-life balance (in 37 reviews)

• The MyRyan program creates a flexible work environment that fits your schedule (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent firm, Slightly Bizarre Culture

Current Employee - Tax Consultant
    Current Employee - Tax Consultant

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Senior management is very involved and genuinely seems interested in employee's success. If you're on a good team it can be rewarding. Really depends on your team.

MyRyan is good if your manager embraces it.

Cons

I found the culture to be very bizarre. The firm is obsessed with winning (seemingly meaningless) awards and people speak of Brint Ryan as if he is God. I'd get a constant barrage of e-mails asking me to fill out surveys for random awards and make contributions to the (quite conservative) Ryan Political Action Committee. Perhaps it is because I came from a very large firm, but the culture just was too weird for me.

Aside from the culture, the only other cons I can think of is that your success really depends on your team and the review/compensation process could be better. If you're on a crappy team, it's not fun. Not all managers are equal and not all managers embrace MyRyan.
    Additionally, the review process is not entirely logical and can hamper your advancement and compensation until the next year. As an aside on compensation, I found Ryan's base salaries to be below market, but there is a high bonus potential. I left the firm for a very comparable position at a comparable firm with significantly higher base pay.

More consistency in managers/training. Ease up on the awards and other random stuff and let people work. Who cares if Ryan places 3rd in Sheboygan Wisconsin's Best Places to work list? Let employees focus on clients and driving revenue and stop flooding inboxes with this stuff. Base salaries more in line with the market will attract better young talent, not these meaningless awards. It's not like the firm is competing in Forbes or Fortune or anything.

Great Place To Work! A Breath of Fresh Air!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work-life balance with myRyan. Ryan offers an awesome benefits package that passes up most companies! Management Team is great and the structure within the company if very sound. They offer an awesome instant support system for their employees through RyanNet. Everything you need is right at your fingertips. Everyone at the Corporate Offices has always been pleasant and great to deal with! They just released a great Tuition Reimbursement plan that will allow employees to grow within the company! Ryan is definitely a breath of fresh air!

Cons

There are no cons that I have come across thus far that worth mentioning.

Keep up the great work! Brint has a great vision and the Executive Team is focused on making that vision happen! It is a win-win situation! Thank you for choosing me to be part of an awesome team!

I think this has become a really great place to work

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hands down, you can't beat the flexibility given to you here. The gym, phone, and train allowances are the best thing ever to me. I will say that the CEO has been forward thinking and has become open minded over the past 5 years. It has been a great change to see here at Ryan. He seems to listen to feedback and implements changes based on that feedback. I have yet to work at any company that has done that.

Cons

The review system and having to be at exactly 100% doesn't seem realistic. I understand if you don't meet all of your goals that you shouldn't get a full increase, but some sort of partial increase should be allowed if you achieved 85% of your goals??? Also if you get below 100% that hurts you for an entire year and can stop you from getting an salary bump for waayyy too long.

Communicate!!! Communicate if your employee is not doing well or is not meeting your expectations. Embrace the differences in an individual's work style and MANAGE that to get the results that you are seeking from that person. Simply saying, "Be like him" or "Be like her" or "I wish you were like such and such" is not a motivator for anyone and will cause resentment. Describe the TRAITS that you desire and coach your employee that way.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible schedule, great experience, and LOTS of room for improvement

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, working remotely, immediate supervisor is awesome to work for, bonus structure, ability to work on different projects in various industries, and enjoy working for/with clients

Cons

Takes forever to get new technology, needs to be a way to anonymously bring up issues (e.g. laziness, inability to complete tasks, etc.) with co-workers as we work in teams, there needs to be a way to divide up money-making projects equally, ergonomic furniture, better annual salary increase, less expensive health insurance, and more accountability, to name a few.

Keep up the forward thinking progress and remember that a thank you with your employees goes a long way. Even our Christmas bonuses have gone away.

Great Workplace Flexability

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

First off, I would like to say that I don't love my job. Taxes can be mundane and boring, but I love working at Ryan. This is mainly driven by the manager and teammates that I work with. In general, the workers that I get negative feedback from about the company have bad managers. Unfortunately, not all managers embrace the myRyan culture. There are also managers who are stingy when it comes to handing out bonuses. My manager allows me to be very flexible with my work hours and is very generous when it comes to bonuses. Understand that if you're looking to be employed at Ryan that the team you work on makes a huge difference in whether you like Ryan or not. The principals and Brint Ryan can't always control that, but if you don't like the team you're on, they want to retain you, so they'll let you explore options with other teams.

I also love Ryan because of the leadership of Brint Ryan and the principals. They are aggressive with their growth strategy, which gives us job security. They are also innovative with their work policies. Not too long ago, you had to put in 50 hour work weeks at a minimum to keep your job at Ryan. And trust me, Brint is putting in 50+ work weeks. He lives and breathes Ryan and is the hardest working person in our company, so it’s likely very difficult for him to implement a policy that says you don’t have to work as many hours as he does. But, he and the other principals took a huge risk in letting employees completely control their work schedule. It’s paid off big for me who doesn’t need to work 50 hours a week to achieve benchmark. Finally, the bonus structure gives employees the opportunity to earn bonuses higher than your salary. It’s a very generous incentive, especially if you’re one of the lucky few to be on a monster project. For me, I don’t get monster bonuses, but the ones I do are enough for me to make more than I would in a B4 firm and I feel a sense of accomplishment.

Finally, I can’t say enough about the unique business structure. Working on hourly projects suck; you have no flexibility on the amount of time you spend on a task and are always have to worry about billing enough hours to make it profitable, not enough hours to get the job done right. Consequently, you end up having to work those long hours just to make you revenue goals. Contingent projects give you the freedom to do the best job in how every many hours it takes you to do it. I never have to worry if I’m spending too little or too much time on a task.
    Overall, I don’t know of any other company in our space or in another industry that offers such flexibility, generous incentive bonuses, and unique business structure. This is all because of the

Cons

Not all managers are created equally. There is little oversight on how managers implement myRyan or the incentive bonuses, so you can end up with a bad manager and everything I said above would not apply.

I have friends on other teams that can't utilize myRyan at all because of their manager. So, I would provide a survey to team members to rate their manager's adherance to myRyan and provide an incentive to mangers rated high and/or help for managers who are rated low.

The BEST company ever.

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

I can't emphasize how much Ryan takes care of its employees in all aspects.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about this firm.

Keep up the great work. Ryan LLC will be the company that Brint Ryan has the vision for.

Wonderful place to be!

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, fun environment, sense of accomplishment everyday. This is my second time at Ryan, and am much happier this time than I was prior.

Cons

Smaller teams are having issues maintaining a good bonus pipeline. Also, not all managers (especially in my group) are embracing MyRyan. I notice it a lot with the managers from the recently acquired Thomson Reuters PTS group.

Make sure all managers (especially in the new PTS group) are embracing MyRyan

Must have an advocate to get anywhere. Company culture eroding.

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Senior leadership is fine. Company growth presents ample opportunity for career growth if you have someone to advocate for you. Atmosphere is friendly and generally helpful. Great place to enter from another company. Company is awesome to work for if you only stay 2-3 years. Workplace flexibility is unmatched.

Cons

Middle management is based entirely on revenue with no thought to leadership or management ability. Hence, if they bring clients with them when they come, are able to sell effectively, or get fed by a Principal, they will generally be considered successful even if they are extremely poor at actually managing. If you don't have an advocate (i.e. a manager or Principal who is interested in seeing you progress), nothing you do will make a difference. Managers / Principals are generally too busy pursuing sales leads to take an interest in your career, which obviously compounds the previous problem.

The poorer managers are also perfectly willing to accept mediocrity: poor performers are accepted, nurtured, and praised when they do well while star performers are expected to be stars and pick up the slack. This is a relatively new phenomenon (within the past 2 years) and is why I say the culture is eroding. When I started, mediocrity was not tolerated.

The firm does not care about education beyond the required accounting hours that they want you to have as a Consultant; an MBA is useless here due to the aforementioned reason.

Unless you come in as a manager or have an advocate you will never make manager (Team Leader) here. Having an advocate is the key to success here.

With a few notable exceptions, the Principal group is wholly consumed with itself.

Keep the good managers, fire the rest. You should know who they are, most of the employees probably do. If you want more sales, hire more BD's. Your managers should be there to manage. Your revenue would increase if engagements and employees were managed and motivated appropriately.

On that note, some of the things you seem to think motivate us actually don't. When you sign an engagement that in no way affects my team, I don't care. Principals and the relevant engagement teams benefit from those engagements, not me. I don't need the informative email. The amount of interest I have in that engagement and the amount of interest you have in my personal stock portfolio gaining 3% is roughly equal.

If you want to motivate your employees, find out what they want as individuals and then give it to them. I can tell you right now what would motivate each member of my team and about half the members of other teams in my office; I feel quite confident that their managers couldn't and don't care anyway.

Finally, you rest your laurels on myRyan and workplace flexibility. It's great, don't misunderstand; it's just not the only thing most employees are concerned with. You seem to have the attitude that since we have myRyan your job is complete and no one will even dream of leaving, which is clearly not the case. By all means keep it and be proud of it, but don't think it gets you off the hook for motivating your employees. Employee motivation is a job for the managers who have (or should have) one-on-one professional working relationships with their employees. Give your managers training on how to motivate their employees and measure them on their success. Rather than using their teambuilding budget for dinners and cirque shows, encourage them to use it on Myers-Briggs or Strengths Finder. Or better yet, let them do the cirque shows and you pay for their Strengths Finder.

Poor Benefits, self serving, good flexibility

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, thats about it...

Cons

401k horrible, insurance expensive, ability for advancement lacking

Stop being so self indulgent and try to think about your employees

OK place to work. Micro management seems to be the theme.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Property Tax  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Property Tax in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

"My Ryan" allows workers to work from home which leads to employee retention. The CEO is a very smart man who built the company from the ground up.

Cons

The salaries are low and the medical benefits are pretty bad compared to the rest of corporate America. Ryan is micromanaged to the lowest level and there are numerous inefficient corporate processes that divert attention away from actual productivity.

Focus on bottom line results, not political agendas. You can't retain talent unless you promote producers.

Worked for Ryan, LLC? Contribute to the Community!