Ryan Transportation Reviews

Mel Winstone

1. Carrier Sales Representative

Current Employee - Carrier Sale Representative in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Carrier Sale Representative in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Ryan Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, the more effort you put in, the more you will make. You can't say that about a lot of companies these days. The company's expectations of you are very clear. Very manageable to set yourself up for raises & promotions. A very minute amount micro-managing! If your end results are in line with company standards, you are not "under a microscope." Great benefits at no cost to you. Wonderful set of senior employees who are willing to mentor and guide you to success. A very fast-paced work environment. I love it when I look at the clock and it's already mid-afternoon! Even though the company is growing rapidly in terms of employees, there is still a sense of a small family-owned company and culture. The culture that the CEO implements into each branch of the business is very successful. You can see this culture in every aspect of the business, and it's great!

Cons

Unfortunately there is a luck factor in this business... but what business doesn't have a degree of luck at play?

Advice to Management

The management style seems to be a little reactive. A little bit more of a proactive approach might be beneficial in terms of short & long term strategic planning.

2. Ryan Transportation

I have been working at Ryan Transportation

Pros

The people I work with are helpful and friendly. My days go by very fast because there is always manageable work to be done. The hours aren't bad at all. On a given week, I work 45 hours not including my hour lunch break. As long as you work hard, you will be given an opportunity for advancement.

Cons

There is a bit of luck involved in making good money within the brokerage. It can be stressful handling truck drivers who have a tendency to fabricate the truth.

Advice to Management

Start carrier sales representatives off at a higher salary without commission. Do the same with account managers but obviously include their commission. I think that would attract people who could make the company more money in the long run.

The only job I've ever had

I have been working at Ryan Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ryan Transportation has been my only job since graduating college. The fun work environment and “family” vibe makes it easy to come into work each day. I have made some great friends while working here. Managers definitely recognize the hard workers and you will get rewarded if you put the work in. The employee benefits are a great perk. Very happy at this growing company and love my job!

Cons

Right now there are two separate campuses, which makes it hard for meetings with the other affiliate companies. Everyone will be over at the new campus soon though which will make things much easier.

5. Positive experience

I worked at Ryan Transportation

Pros

Solid company with friendly employees

Cons

Work was monotonous at times

6. Good place to work.

I have been working at Ryan Transportation full-time

Pros

Ryan will reward you per your performance and interest.

Cons

Easy to get burnt out if you don't have an effective plan

7. Operations

Current Employee - Operations in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Operations in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Ryan Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and they care about their customers

Cons

Not room for growth in operations or recognition

Just another transportation company now

I have been working at Ryan Transportation

Pros

Clean and attractive work place. Paid benefits and employee perks. Tied to a successful sister company. Appropriate commission structure that hopefully doesn't change.

Cons

Rapid growth of the company is the main concern. Hiring inexperienced employees has replaced the former model of bringing in proven sales reps. Perks have begun to be altered/removed due to company growth. Top sales commission structure has been changed to put more money on the company's bottom line. Management pushing to offer new services to customers without the expertise and know how to execute them. Trying so hard to become one of the big players in the industry, that they've lost sight of what originally made this company great.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics. Quit being so enthralled with multi million dollar buildings and start focusing on the employees that fill them. Bigger is not always better. Reconnect with the family friendly values that used to make this place great. Realize that you are losing top performers not because of their income, but because of the leadership and direction this comapny is headed. It's very sad to watch this company turn into just another transportation company.

9. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Representative in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Ryan Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, benefits and people.

Cons

Be prepared to deal with stress.

Amazing Dynamic Company That Cares!

Current Employee - Brokerage Accounting in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Brokerage Accounting in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Ryan Transportation full-time

Pros

I absolutely love coming to work daily! At first, the benefits bring you in and you question if this place is actually real. It is and they care! Each new employee meets with the CEO of the parent company during the interview process. It is imperative to him that he has the best to see his company into its next phase. The outlook for the company is so bright and it’s apparent by the continued growth sustained over several years. The positivity among most employees is again proof that everyone is relishing their positions and wants to be here daily giving 110%! Witnessing the President giving accolades to multiple employees in front of the entire company is something that I admire and appreciate in my workplace. Since I began working here 2 ½ years ago, I’ve seen our department increase by 10 people. The opportunities to grow and succeed are endless! As we venture into uncharted waters with product offerings, there is ability to shine with thought provoking ideas that can impact the processes of the department to make a difference. The manager of the department listens to each of us, takes our ideas to upper management for implementation, is open to change and has always been supportive in our decisions. I like the management style in which our department manager focuses on the members of the department above their self. I’ve sat in meetings at previous companies where new ideas are presented and some managers take the ideas as their own, even if from a brainstorming session with multiple people; that is not the case here, as our department manager gives credit to each team member for their idea in front of peers and upper management. I also appreciate the open door policy within our department and the entire company. I have never been turned away by any manager when requesting time to discuss an issue that has arisen. I feel just as comfortable walking into my manager’s office as I do the President’s office and know that what I have to say will be listened to with full ears anytime. In Accounting, we have the privilege to work with multiple departments which fosters relationships and allows us to really get to know all sides of the business. Everyone is willing to assist each other because we all have a stake in this company and want to succeed exponentially! All in all, this is a great place to work where you are valued, your ideas are heard and you are rewarded admirably for your hard work and positive attitude!!

Cons

Due to the rapid growth of our company and our sister company, we're on two different campuses.

Great company!

Current Employee - Sales in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Sales in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Ryan Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced and team oriented culture. Great compensation plans that don't cap salespeople. Good leadership team who is focused on continued training and success. Company is evolving and promoting employees from within. More paid time off was awarded so the work life balance is very good.

Cons

No complaints. People that work hard are rewarded.

Advice to Management

Keep evolving the company for future growth.

RSS Feed </> Embed