Ryan's

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Anthony Wedo

Highly understaffed

General Manager (Current Employee)
    Augusta, GA

ProsPays well, and room for advancement.They offer a competitive benefits and PTO package most AD's are very fair to work with.

ConsUnderstaffed, 4 GM's for 8 stores; two stores have three managers, five have two and one has one. This has been an issue for over three years

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers to run store properly as well as to offer a quality of life for managers. Give managers more notice about changes: menu and marketing

The worst Ryan's I ever worked for.

Server/Baker (Former Employee)
    Russellville, AR

ProsThe main thing I like about working for Ryan's is that they offer insurance packages to all employees for the first day. The packages are reasonably priced for the benefits received.

ConsManagement is the only down side I have found so far. I love the business but when you have people over you who have no clue it makes for a bad environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement training for Ryan's needs to be more thorough and not based so much on seniority as ability. I have seen people who have no clue get promoted because they have been there for 3 years while someone who has only been there a few weeks can do every job in the store and has management experience gets walked all over like a rug.

Ryan's has great food and benefits, but also long hours, low salary, and poor leadership.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    North Charleston, SC

ProsThe benefits were by far the best in the business. Great place to work if you enjoy a very fast non-stop pace. Great free food for managers.

ConsManagers work very long hours. On some occasions work 16 hour days and paid low salary ($34,000). Senior managers require non-stop paperwork to be filled out giving little time to check in with guest and deal with employee's problems. If any part of paperwork not filled out then bonuses are denied. Hourly employees paid very little causing low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management critized staff constantly with no positive reinforcement or constructive criticism. They set unreachable goals which also killed morale.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was your typical working environment for a restaurant.

Dishwasher (Former Employee)

ProsGave you good hours
    Fun co workers

ConsManagers did not seem to care for employees
    Had to pay for meal even though food was wasted at end of night
    Not well payed
    Worked nights then had to come in early next day

They try to squeeze the life out of you!! Very unrealistic expectations.

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe stores close at 9.

ConsUpper management asks for unrealistic results.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't expect miracles from your managers and remember they deserve to have a life outside of work.

Adequate

ProsOverall job security, benefits, support

Conspoor bonus structure, long hours

Love my coworkers, hate the company.

Server (Current Employee)

ProsWe're family. Most of us have been here long enough to become grandparents together. Our regular customers are part of our family also.

ConsInsurance sucks! Benefits for long-term employees are non-existent. They force waitresses to clean chair legs and window blinds for 2.13 an hour. Don't have enough equipment, like glasses, silverware.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop telling us what to do, we already know. You spend so much time in the office watching us on the cameras, why don't you deal with the people who aren't doing what they're supposed to? I smoke, but I also do my job as opposed to some who don't smoke but also don't do what they're supposed to do. Upper management treats us like peons, they're too good to talk to us. We've been here forever, why don't you care about our feedback? And you need to remember we are not slave labor, we choose to work here and would appreciate some appreciation. Honestly, when it comes down to company/employee relationships, this is the worst company I have ever worked for. This company is completely, totally about the dollar.

one of the worst jobs ever

Server (Current Employee)

ProsVery busy restaurant gives a server the opportunity to make good tips Servers also get plenty of hours every week

ConsManagement makes it a miserable place to work. Very high turn over rate of employees. Morale is very low. Very chaotic with no leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs better training especially need to work on building morale I dread everyday that i have to be there.

It was a fun place to work when I first started working there but now I'm searching for a better job

ProsThe employees because the managers are a bunch of cheap skates thats all about a dollar and the company is too...I mean how can you try to work around the really good things to find cheaper things that won't last long to keep money in your pocket..FOR HEAVENS SAKE ITS A RESTAURANT

ConsManagement speaking badly about other team members to the other managers and coworkers and sometimes treating employees as if they're kids and we're all adults

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone fairly. Raises should be in order again. There shouldn't no limit to stop someone from getting 40 hours just because it cuts into the managers bonus if someone is a good hardworking employee and is about to hit 40 hours don't send them home or tell them not to come in the next day because theyre gonna hit 40 hours let them get it that means they're doing there job to the highest I mean why work but can't get 40 hours or more because if thats the case there is no need for employees the management and the people who own the company should run the business by themselves and pay themselves and see how and employee feels. Also PTO should be shown at the end of the year PTO each week should be shown on each weeks check and employee works hard to get that PTO to have it only be seen at the end of the year ITS NOT FAIR. And also i think the company should show ALOT more compassion and be closed every holiday not just Christmas everyone has a family who they wanna spend the holidays with and not at work people who come out to eat either are to lazy to cook or don't have family or don't get along with their family i mean those are personal issues and I don't think people should have to work on a holiday I VOTE TO BE CLOSED EVERY HOLIDAY SO EMPLOYEES CAN SPEND TIME WITH THEIR FAMILY!!!!!

A disappointment to say the least.

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAt the time a quality benefit package. Opportunity if you are able to relocate at the company's discretion. Discount on your wireless plan.

ConsLack of leadership. Lack of company structure. Lack of time off. Pay scale not in line with similar concepts. Very little training. Managers are basically salaried food runners.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not trust upper management's word on anything. I was told I would have the company requirement of 4 Managers for the volume our store was doing and they ran me with myself and one other manager for over 6 months. Only did they send a Manager from another store to cover 1-2 shifts a week. For our district my store ran lowest food cost%, lowest labor% and kept well within our budget for operating supplies. We also had the highest sales and put 19%-21% on average to the bottom line. Yet, we were left shorthanded for a long period of time with only promises of good things to come.

Worked for Ryan's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ryan's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ryan's CEO Anthony Wedo. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Ryan's employees.