Ryan's

Updated December 1, 2014
2.4

Anthony Wedo
1 Rating

Part time server in Indianapolis for 5 years.

I have been working at Ryan's

Pros

Large regular customer base. I'm able to support a household of 3 with my part time server wages. My experience has been a good one working for this restaurant.

Cons

Management is over worked stressed out. Too many free meals given out to insincere people. Customers allowed to steal food make huge messes. Management is too busy cashing, cooking, preping or doing dishes to pay attention to dining room & customers.

Allow more hours to back of the house employees! BETTER MARKETING PLEASE!!

was once great place to work

I have been working at Ryan's

Pros

salary above most other chains

Cons

long hours no payroll unreasonable expectations

need to review way you treat employee

Mediocre food offer

Current Employee - Cook in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Cook in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Ryan's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ryan's stresses good human relationship in their employee manual. And, indeed, the climate among the workers is friendly - in more than 3 months I have not heard one unprintable expression in anyone's contribution to communication.

Cons

Ryan's does not put any effort into maintaining standards for any job. They put you to your position and let you find out how it is done. Several superiors give you different rules about specific procedures, including the priorities. There is no information at all about how a certain job should be done. Even if the employee after some weeks writes a job description and asks for feedback upon it - there is none! In stressful situations as they come up regularly in the restaurant industry, superiors do not mind wether you are aware of priorities of the moment - they rather interrupt your work by giving additional orders, thereby making your task in said stressful situation (peal times) more difficult. Climate in the crew changes strongly with manager on duty.

Make sure that information is passed to employees! Be aware who in the team is responsible and who is skillful in passing on the pressure to a fellow team member! Ensure procedures and make sure that every employee follows procedures in the same manner! Live to Ryan's mission and create a pleasant experience and environment to the customer and provide quality food.

Amazing

I have been working at Ryan's

Pros

I have more information here than anywhere else

Cons

Faster alerts
    More organzine details

Ryan's was a true experience with consistency in completely work and keeping up presentation your area.

Former Employee - Cashier, Baker, and Line Server in Zachary, LA
    Former Employee - Cashier, Baker, and Line Server in Zachary, LA

I worked at Ryan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interaction with customers, discount on meals, getting all scheduled works, and getting paid weekly.

Cons

Having to deal with unruly customers, managers not following to check up on employees compared to senior manager before them.Some employees just not following job guideline and managers allowing them to get away with it.

I believe overtime anyone could advance to management

No time for life outside of work and very little respect from upper management

Current Employee - Hospitality Manager
    Current Employee - Hospitality Manager

I have been working at Ryan's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great customer base, good food and plenty of challenges to keep work interesting, great training program, many employees have over 5 years with company

Cons

constantly being used as a "labor saver", unrealistic goals and expectations from upper management, working christmas and very long hours

show mid level and lower level management some respect and treat them like people too, show recognition for job well done, let employees work their shifts

Turned into a stressful nightmare

Former Employee - General Manager in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - General Manager in Springfield, MO

I worked at Ryan's full-time

Pros

The base pay for managers was good

Cons

Brutal working hours. Many times working with only 2 managers on staff with no support from Corp. Labor allowances are so low store managers are slotted in a staff position during every meal period

Understand that unhappy store team means unhappy guest experiences. Low wages, short weekly hours and double duties does not allow staff to properly f
    give the guest the atmosphere to enjoy their dinners.

It's okay for a temporary position

Current Employee - Server in Anderson, SC
    Current Employee - Server in Anderson, SC

I have been working at Ryan's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees get to eat for $4 while friends and family eat for $7.99. Free meal the first day you start. Even for a buffet, servers often made well over minimum wage. On slow days, we'd sit and do nothing sometimes. I got plenty of hours, often working 6 days a week for 5 hour shifts each.

Cons

Upper management is quick to threaten to fire people and do it often. They had a "purge" at one point where they fired anyone who wasn't "up to standards" (aka older), even people who were there for years. Required to do a lot of minimum wage cleaning work for $2.13/hr. Customers can be extremely rude and demanding.

There's a lot of favoritism, more so than I've noticed at other employments. Listen to your employees and don't treat them like they're beneath you. Customer isn't always right.

Great place to work but not worth it

I have been working at Ryan's part-time

Pros

Great people to work with, management is nice, great job for just starting out

Cons

Long hours, not able to make ends meet on low pay, more work than a minimum wage job should be.

Management is Everything

Former Employee - Preparation
    Former Employee - Preparation

I worked at Ryan's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Pay for the Hours I put in

Cons

Asst Managers need more customer service training

Loved working for people who appreciated me