Ryder System

www.ryder.com

Ryder System Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Ryder System – “Ryder Systems”

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • As a leading-edge Fortune 500 company with expanding global presence, we recognize our employees - our knowledge capital - as our most valuable asset(in 7 reviews)

• The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is NO real work/life balance and it always feels like big brother is watching(in 8 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me(in 12 reviews)

Keep your goals short term

Class A Truck Driver (Former Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsNew accounts can pay well/however, when your account ends ,you are either without a job or you are placed in a low paying shuttle driver job. When new accounts that pay well start ,the jobs are given to people on the street, because it is easier to hire someone off the street for good pay ,than to get someone to take a job of low pay that you have been put on. This is not a good long term career for a driver. Other drivers you encounter with any long term tenure , constantly surprise me with the fact they have been there so long with little pay. I will let you make your assumptions of that observation.

ConsI could not see a proven track record of this company being able to keep an account after a 3 year contract is up .Not just the account I was on. The customer and driver are looked at as temporary-therefore you are treated that way. Protect your license .They will strongly and rudely ,push drivers to drive unregistered vehicles, and noncompliant loads . Contracts start with low bids ,and the shoestring budget gets worse with every day. We started with not enough trucks , could not get tires changed , lots of faulty equipment. DOT was constantly looking for us. I knew this was something I was not going to do long ,and it was obvious that this account was not going to be kept despite managements saying other. I moved on before the contract was up. Made some money while I was there though.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can't say that you can give advice to a company that runs on very unscrupulous principles. More energy seems to be put into covering up problems ,rather than fixing them. I sensed a constant lack of caring or attempt to fix any problems by management. If this is their formula for success ,so be it, but this is a review of working for this company ,not of one deciding if the companies ways make money.

Enjoyed being a part of the Ryder Family.

Yard Driver (Current Employee) Fontana, CA

ProsDispatch will work with you.

Cons12 hour shfts are tough.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to listen to your drivers.

Good company with potential to be great.

Finance Manager (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGood stable company that has been around for 80+ years. Great people that know what they are doing. It's not uncommon to meet someone that has been with the company for 20, 30, or even 40+ years.

ConsWork/life balance. They like to preach this, but in reality it doesn't exist. What use is it to have a gym on the premises if I have no time to use it? Working 50-60 hours a week is not uncommon. Average pay with above average work is not a good combo. Also, IT systems are a disaster. You have to jump through hoops to get the most basic of data.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee cons above.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ryder is good company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTheir are a lot of opportunities to grow your career with Ryder. The key is to be flexible and have the ability to relocate.

ConsYou must remain focus on your goals and don't get discourage if you are not recognized or appreciated right away. The benefits use to better, but that statement is a fact anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to improve their open door communication of acknowledging the employees and show the support of team.

Excellent leadership. They are making hug changes in an old corporate.

National Sales Manager (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsExecutive sponsorship - great ideas are encouraged.

ConsNone - leadership is addressing many of the changes needed to excel in the next ten years.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Good company

Customer Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) Rahway, NJ

ProsLocation . It's just a good company

ConsNot to many things I can say bad about the company.

Rental Account Manager

ProsI enjoy working with Ryder. I like the upward mobility; if you work diligently and find a way to set yourself apart the opportunities are there.

ConsWith there being multiple divisions to the business there is very little team work because every division is focused on their individual goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe metrics that are in place to make each individual contributor accountable is essentially pointless.

Overall has not been a positive experience.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGood location.
    There are some nice individuals.
    Good building facilities.

ConsNo upward mobility.
    Boy's club.
    Inept middle management.
    Below market pay rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over.

It was OK. I learned a lot. As with any large company, there's a lot of politics.

Logistics Manager (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsLots of opportunities for advancement. Although you have to learn how to play the game.

ConsThis is a predominately male industry and Ryder is no exception. It is harder for a female to rise into the upper ranks of the company.

Ok Place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsGood direct management team. Great benefits for hourly employees. Safety is number 1 focus.

ConsVery, very, very high turn over for hourly and management. They'll find away to fire you 1st chance, or when your time is up. Great direct supervisors, but upper general managers suck -no clue. Benefits for management is no good.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on consistency, to much up and down due to high turn over. Change image of the company, I mention Ryder, and 1st thing people mention is high turn over. Bad rap already established.

Worked for Ryder System? Contribute to the Community!