Ryder System

www.ryder.com

Ryder System Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014
Ryder System – “Ryder Systems”

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • As a leading-edge Fortune 500 company with expanding global presence, we recognize our employees - our knowledge capital - as our most valuable asset(in 7 reviews)

• The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is NO real work/life balance and it always feels like big brother is watching(in 10 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me(in 12 reviews)

Good company

Customer Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) Rahway, NJ

ProsLocation . It's just a good company

ConsNot to many things I can say bad about the company.

Overall has not been a positive experience.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGood location.
    There are some nice individuals.
    Good building facilities.

ConsNo upward mobility.
    Boy's club.
    Inept middle management.
    Below market pay rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over.

Management Trainee

Prosnot bad for an entry level position

Conshostile work environment from staff, not management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok Place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsGood direct management team. Great benefits for hourly employees. Safety is number 1 focus.

ConsVery, very, very high turn over for hourly and management. They'll find away to fire you 1st chance, or when your time is up. Great direct supervisors, but upper general managers suck -no clue. Benefits for management is no good.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on consistency, to much up and down due to high turn over. Change image of the company, I mention Ryder, and 1st thing people mention is high turn over. Bad rap already established.

Disjointed IT with High Turnover

IT Consultant (Former Employee) Miami, FL

Pros-Above average compensation
    -Generally 9 to 5
    -Remnants of a family style culture
    -Fairly Easy Commute
    -Generally Amicable Staff
    -Interesting long term IT vision

Cons-IT is run separately within different business units
    -Severe under-spending on IT
    -Poor upgrade history on major systems resulting in major failures daily
    -Highly political IT environment
    -High turnover
    -Poor quality control in IT

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest appropriately in IT upgrades. Stop spending half the cost of something figuring out that you're not ready to pull the trigger. Value people more than appearances.

NA

Senior Logistics Manager (Former Employee) Fontana, CA

ProsGood company to work for

ConsThey expect you to be married to your job

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time.

Rental Account Manager

ProsI enjoy working with Ryder. I like the upward mobility; if you work diligently and find a way to set yourself apart the opportunities are there.

ConsWith there being multiple divisions to the business there is very little team work because every division is focused on their individual goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe metrics that are in place to make each individual contributor accountable is essentially pointless.

Great Place to Work

Senior Finance Manager (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsLot's of opportunities to grow and develop. Well compensated. Get to work around some extremely bright and talent people. One of the few opportunities to work for a Fortune 500 company in South Miami. Companies has good benefits and is well respected in the industry.

ConsWorked a lot of hours. Many times over 60. The people I worked for are smart and hardworking. However, there were not many good leaders. What I mean by this is people that were really concerned with the development and growth of the people they lead. They seemed more concerned with their own development and growth and their people second. They went through formal review process but there was little substance. The company reworded hard work and results over great leadership. Many people got great short term results while sacrificing many people in the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake leaders think about how much time they really spend coaching and developing all of their people. It should be a much higher percentage of their time. Too much time is in meetings and with clients and that is what they have a team for. Spend more time coaching and developing your best people and don't just assume they are fine and will figure it out.

It was OK. I learned a lot. As with any large company, there's a lot of politics.

Logistics Manager (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsLots of opportunities for advancement. Although you have to learn how to play the game.

ConsThis is a predominately male industry and Ryder is no exception. It is harder for a female to rise into the upper ranks of the company.

Move up you must move

ProsGreat people to work with. A lot of investment in employees

ConsTo move up I'm the company you are required to move around the state.

Worked for Ryder System? Contribute to the Community!