Ryder System

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros:
  • "The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Work in a good environment, good pay and benefits"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/Life balance does not exist"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper management will stab you in the back in a heartbeat"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great opportunity with good management in DFW

Management Trainee (Former Employee)
Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Ryder System full-time for more than a year

Pros- Decent pay and benefits
- Growth opportunity
- Good training in Rental division

Cons- Corporate feel
- Lots of politics
- Logistics division is a desk job with very little reward

Gain Valuable Experience

Rental Management Trainee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time

Pros- Great way to start out of college, consult and problem solve with several industries
- Work independently with a service manage, majority of responsibility and decisions on you
- Management is blue collar and down to earth
- Paid fairly despite what others say. They have to earn back what was invested from the start

Cons- Management promotes on loyalty to company not most talented
- Stockholders want a more structured environment, less ability to differentiate
- It is stressful

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove IT

bad place for college graduates

I have been working at Ryder System

Prosdecent benefits, diverse , corporate, union environment for non management positions.

ConsRyder hires floor operator in management positions which creates a lack of true leadership.

Decent Pay, Stress not worth it to me...

Rental Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Ryder System full-time

ProsGood pay and benefits, got to travel for training to Chicago and Miami, most people are laid back, like to have a good time.

ConsManagement expects entirely too much, hard work is not compensated or recognized, passive aggressive work environment people love to yell through email.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize talent and promote them, delegate the work amongst the rental reps and sales team more efficiently so as one does not feel like a slave to the other

Great people and amazing time

Intern (Former Employee)
Miami, FL

I worked at Ryder System part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people, great atmosphere, very friendly

ConsBig companies move slow, but that's not their fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

take the good with the bad

Logistics Engineer (Current Employee)
Novi, MI

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros401k match is very competitive, laid back atmosphere, leadership commitment to doing things the right way, pretty good development opportunities

Conswork/life balance isn't great (not terrible either), don't contribute enough to employee healthcare (very high premiums), pay is just average, most employees not eligible for bonus, not enough paid holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to hire and retain the best talent in the industry, then you'll have to pay for it. Stop losing talent because you wont pay market wages.

Great place to work

I have been working at Ryder System for more than 8 years

ProsThe company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees. I have met and worked with many talented people throughout the Ryder organization.

ConsComparitavely, Ryder's salary for mangers is lower than industry averages. Considering the nature of the industy, you must be willing to relocate to advance your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Beware

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ryder System

ProsDrivers are often treated poorly, little to no room for advancement if you are a driver

ConsSexual harassment is a given

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the good drivers that show commitment and work hard

Horrible place to work at

Logistics Manager (Former Employee)
Pittsburg, CA

I worked at Ryder System full-time for more than a year

ProsNone that I can think of

ConsAs a salaried employee do not expect a raise just more hours, the drivers and union mechanics make more than managers. The maint mechanics are useless, horrible service, and attitude, they will bill you for items that are covered under guarantee maint contracts. They tell you it is one big family...what a lie the SMSand Rental have a budget as does Integrated logistics side lots of misbillings, it is every department for yourself. If your not making your #'s expect to get on the focus group and explain why your not making mone, the most common reason for not making the #'s they sign looser 3rd party contracts and expect the managers to work miracles. HR is a joke. Managers are treated poorly with no support and take the blame for everything...instaed of finding the root cause of issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the cannabalism that takes place between departments. Pay people well and increase what they make on an annual basis based on performance. Nothing like hearing about how much profit the company has made but nothing trickles to the employees in the form of money. Decrease the cost of benefits they go up every year. Eliminate so many conference calls and meetings so the managers have time to manage. Stop signing such looser contacts pull your pants up and learn to walk away from loosing propositions.

A huge letdown - rampant chaos

Shfit Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe best reason is a steady paycheck - and its the only reason

ConsDownside.. all of it. Low pay for heavy workloads, no appreciation, no advancement opportunities unless you are a part of "the club" Ryder has lost touch with reality at the shop level. Compters are so old and archaic. win XP on a pentium chip with explorer 6. takes 5-10 minutes to do one thing.. and you have 100's of things to do daily. Systems crashing all the time, poor IT system. I see Ryder falling by the wayside in the near future. They no longer provide "Cadallac service" its more like Yugo service now.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake use of the skilled people you have and pay them accordingly or they all will leave. 80+hr weeks on a measly salary based on 40-45 hrs... come on!

Worked for Ryder System? Contribute to the Community!

Ryder System Videos

Ryder System – Why Work for Us?

Making Commerce Flow Ryder System, Inc. is a leading provider of commercial transportation, logistics, and supply chain management solutions, serving customers throughout North America, Europe and Asia. Over the past… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ryder System reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ryder System CEO Robert E. Sanchez. All 204 reviews posted anonymously by Ryder System employees.