Ryder System Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014
2.9

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees (in 7 reviews)

• As a leading-edge Fortune 500 company with expanding global presence, we recognize our employees - our knowledge capital - as our most valuable asset (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Department works on the point system no real interest in value of employee's at lower levels work/ life balance (in 12 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Over worked and under paid

Former Employee - Logistics Manager
    Former Employee - Logistics Manager

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will definitely learn all aspects of the rental and logistics business at this company as you will be required to do many jobs due to the shortage of personnel.

Cons

No home life because you will constantly be working all the time. Even when you are at home the phone will constantly ring for your services.

Properly staff your service centers and ensure your employess are compensated accordingly when required to work long hours.

School

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Smart people all over.
    - Good Compensation and benefits.
    - Tons of room to grow

Cons

- Leadership has changed to worse over the last 4 years.

Good company to seek job advancement. Long hours working with non-ethical employees that only care OT.

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Potential for growth. Job stability.

Cons

Poor communication skills among Managers. Employees lack drive. Just work for the pay check

Few Positives, Many Negatives and Nothing Other than the Past is What they talk about.

Current Employee - IT in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - IT in Miami, FL

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are great and that's about it.

Cons

Mediocre is the norm at Ryder and if you just want a paycheck, come in, go home, and live a life that is in THE rat race then Ryder is the perfect place for you. Also if you're old and set in your ways this place is great. If you're young, want a real work/life balance, have ideas, want to move things along, make things better, improve processes, enhance technically, etc. RUN and don't come here. The truth is compared to most companies Ryder is well behind the trends of today. Systems are OLD! If you're in IT DO NOT COME HERE! You will regret it and you won't see any real investment in the systems that are currently put in place. The company has been around for 80 years but that's all they talk about. There is no real future plan, no real investment in its people, nothing to get excited about except an advertising campaign which may bring more business but they won't hire the support needed to deliver and more work will be piled on. I hope to leave as soon as I can.

Invest in your people, in your systems and look toward the past and hang on to the way we do things at Ryder. Ryder is now all about change, it's all lip service until you really do something about it.

It's not how hard you work, it's who you know.

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom to run your own branch
    Competitive pay
    Not in an office all day long

Cons

-Management is a joke
    -The trends of the rental industry rise and fall every other month, but management wants answers everytime something goes south.
    -PTO is terrible, requesting time off is like pulling teeth. 90% of the time you work your own branch alone and can't find coverage.

Open your eyes and see the employees that you should be promoting. Hiring based on the friend system will only sink this company. Raising PTO is a necessity. Expecting salary employees to only get 10 days off a year while working 11-12 hour days, and 2 saturdays a month is ridiculous.

the best people I have ever worked with.ryder really cares about their people

Former Employee - DIESEL TECH II in Nash, TN
    Former Employee - DIESEL TECH II in Nash, TN

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

their values are the driving force

Cons

no cons work is not easy open 24/7

more time off than you need, personal growth is up to you ryder will be right with you

Great opportunity to get real, hands on work experience that is very valuable for growth and developement.

Current Employee - Rental Management Trainee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Rental Management Trainee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Big influence on what happens at your branch.

Cons

Can get very busy especially when working alone. But these times are far in between and can help prepare you for more opportunities to move up.

Continue to hire/promote from within.

Good company that focuses on taking care of employees.

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and care for employees. Stock discount purchasing program, 401 k match, tuition assistance, etc.

Cons

Same as most large companies, communication gets lost in translation at times. Overall very few cons.

More discussion between departments and verticals.

Consistent, Stable and Traditional.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere at the corporate headquarters is friendly and professional. The cafeteria is amazing, and there are other conveniences as well (gift shop, coffee bar, credit union, gym, dry cleaning and occasional 'fairs' with extras--like crafts, etc). It values those with a military background and you will do well if you have one, to help you navigate within the structure/hierarchy of the company. Work and life are fairly balanced, and there is an 'old tradition' feel to the way they don't expect work to happen during non-business hours.

Cons

The company values consistency--a byproduct of needing to report quarterly to shareholders. Don't expect dramatic shifts, new technology or excitement over significant innovation unless they have created a committee to vet the idea, presented the idea to a board and gained approval from multiple senior leaders. Change happens slowly, and often times it is behind that of the competitions. But, it does happen. There is a formal communication pipeline (hierarchy must be respected and it is more top to bottom than vice versa) so while management alerts employees about news, it feels more one-way and can cause employees to gossip because they don't have an outlet to discuss their concerns to higher ups.

Innovation comes from calculated risk. To stay competitive, sometimes evolution is necessary. Creating an open channel where employees can openly ask questions about goals, initiatives and news may be a good idea.

Great experience in my tenure

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

If you work hard and do your job well you will get promoted. This is a large company and still growing so there are plenty of opportunities in sales, finance, operations, etc.

Cons

I really wish the commission structure didn't change as often as it does

Keep up the good work.