Ryder System Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
330 reviews filtered by

1. Senior Service Manager

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

Fast paced environment. Great team to work with. Received upper management supoort more often than not. Encouraged self improvement, tuition reimbursement program.

Cons

overworked, understaffed, reduction in lateral support members increased workload.

Advice to Management

Focus a bit more on profitablility rather than allow customers to be the tail that wags the dog, impacting the district's P&L. Find a way to reduce the ancillary work load that has nothing to do with running a fleet maintenance organization.

2. delivery driver

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Off 2 days per week

Cons

No respect for drivers, no organization within management

Advice to Management

Please appreciate the good drivers and then you will not continue to lose them daily

3. I would work for them again.

Former Employee - Vehicles Sales
    Former Employee - Vehicles Sales

I worked at Ryder System full-time

Pros

Good pay, good manager, good benefits, concerned with safety and great co-workers.

Cons

Competing against Fleet Sales to sell vehicles, playing field was not even as Fleet Sales were able to sell vehicles far cheaper than the sales managers at the locations were allowed.

Advice to Management

Hold Fleet Sales to the same standards as the area managers! Pay the mechanics more so that they stay with the company and hire more of them to keep the lease/rental fleet safe and on the road making money!

5. Great company to work for. Worked in IT and they were flexible yet demanding. They always understood any family issues

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, family friendly. Great culture.

Cons

None that really affected me in any way.

Advice to Management

None. I think Mr Sanchez is doing a great job!

6. I loved working for Ryder, I was there almost ten years and found them to be a great company to work for.

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

They were flexible and always understanding of any family issues and need to balance work and family.

Cons

I don't have any negative things to say about Ryder.

Advice to Management

I think their CEO, Robert Sanchez, is doing a great job,

7. great comoany no changes needed

Current Employee - RSR in Florence, SC
    Current Employee - RSR in Florence, SC

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Upper managment are great and give perks

Cons

none smooth as silk company

Advice to Management

managment is great you win some loose some

Ryder pays 'Chinese' Overtime.

Current Employee - Financial Reporting Department in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Reporting Department in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ryder Inc. is a fairly good place to work albeit stressful for the amount of people employed and the constant workload to complete the assignment,

Cons

Overworked for the amount of workload, Constant pressure and small pay increases.

When overtime is allowed to complete assignments for Ryder's benefit, Overtime is computed as 'Chinese' Overtime where the more total hours (including OT hours) worked lowers Lowers the $/hr.

ie., Base Salary per 40 hr week is 600 (which = $15 per/hr). If I work 10 hrs OT then, 10 hours should be computed as 600 + (10 x 22.50 = 225 OT) = $825. Instead, Ryder computes the base hourly rate it as: 50 hours worked for the 600, therefore, the $/hr is computed as 600/50 = 12 $/hr. OT is then 12 $/hr (10 hrs x 10 OT hours = $120 OT = 600 Base is $720. Employee is cheated by $105 on this small Base Salary. In violation of FSLA.

Advice to Management

Correct Overtime computation to comply with FSLA before you get caught and fined treble amounts and back 5 years per person company wide.

9. good job

Current Employee - Case Picker
    Current Employee - Case Picker

I have been working at Ryder System full-time

Pros

good money good enviorment job security.Its a very good company to start your warehouse career lots of safety training. also learn how to drive a pallet jack and forklift.

Cons

hard to get hours at times my schedule has changed a couple times but it is a start up site i knew it was possible going in to this job.

Advice to Management

open up a little bit its hard to talk to you all at times and we all have stress. Just take a deep breathe.

I wonder if corporate knows what goes on in the field.

Current Employee - MFU in Marion, IN
    Current Employee - MFU in Marion, IN

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The starting wage is decent. There is an emphasis on customer service. The company has an excellent tuition reimbursement program.

Cons

The company pays half-time rather than time and a half for overtime, which is mandatory at times. Human resources is very lax about replying to people and often their replies are not truthful. There seems to be discrimination towards people who require FMLA. Raises are extremely minimal and amount to mere cents, even if you get the maximum raise. There seem to be no genuine opportunities for professional growth.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to what goes on outside of your corporate offices. People are not happy and I suspect that some of the things that go on border on illegal. Provide people in the field opportunities to develop professionally and do things to foster employee loyalty.

Job is Good for Entry Level Logistics Career, but wouldn't Recommend Long-Term

Former Employee - Account Lead in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Account Lead in Novi, MI

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Co-workers are friendly. It is a clean, safe, environment. One can learn a lot about logistics in a short amount a time.

Cons

There is really no room for advancement.. The hours can change at the drop of a hat for some departments so there is no work/life balance. People who take their lunches and breaks are looked down upon. High turnover, no training systems or manuals in place, high pressure environment There is no open door policy. If you do not agree with management and the policies being made, then you are shunned, and once you are shunned they will work against you until you leave or they find a way to fire you.

Advice to Management

Start to actually listen to the employees and care about employee morale. Pay all salary employees real overtime. Treat your employees as if you would want to be treated. Get rid of the favoritism. There are great people that work at Ryder. Please do not continue to overwork them.

Ryder System Photos