Ryder System

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
2.8

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay, benefits and tools to get the job done (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Department works on the point system no real interest in value of employee's at lower levels work/ life balance (in 14 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience in my tenure

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

If you work hard and do your job well you will get promoted. This is a large company and still growing so there are plenty of opportunities in sales, finance, operations, etc.

Cons

I really wish the commission structure didn't change as often as it does

Keep up the good work.

Good company that focuses on taking care of employees.

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and care for employees. Stock discount purchasing program, 401 k match, tuition assistance, etc.

Cons

Same as most large companies, communication gets lost in translation at times. Overall very few cons.

More discussion between departments and verticals.

Adequate pay for long hours

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible in schedule, mostly local work. Lots of different contacts, but hard to switch. Safety is #1, but expect to fight tooth and nail to defend your decisions.

Cons

Lots of middle management with no clue about trucking. Local terminal managers have very little real power, and senior managers are in Florida. Lots of deaf ears about any kind of issues.

Make driver pay more competitive across the board, and listen to your local terminal managers more. Wayyyyyy too much middle-management red tape.

Ryder logistics is a terrible company to work for hands down the worst

Former Employee - Leadman Diesel Tech III On Call 24 Human Resources Field Mechanic in Orange, CA

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If your looking for a company that does business in a way that could only be described as unethical dishonest and gets you yelled at by customers on a regular basis you'll love working for Ryder the day I gave notice was the best work day I had.

Cons

The lies the finger pointing the buck passing the worst part was being forced to brake the law and in danger the public but lying to the customers to cover up for shop and general managers was no picnic either Ryder is not only a horrible company that cares nothing about their employees they care nothing about the public safety and the public is their customers ethics and standards just lip service at Ryder.

I never meet a manager at any level shop administration or other wise that was professional enough to take advice

Great company and people.

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Company culture and people are great!

Cons

No room for advancement, not competitive wages.

Promote from within.

Good people, too much nepotism

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Good environment, very social. Gym onsite as well as cafeteria.

Cons

Work too much and inefficiently. Systems are dated which results in much manual reporting and errors.

Need to focus on process improvement.

One of the Industry leaders

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with a variety of customers, across multiple industry verticals. Retail, Automotive, etc.
    Flexible work hours, as long as you get the work done.
    Good bonus structure for managers and above.
    Competitive 401K match.

Cons

Annual merit increases are not even par with cost of living adjustments, 2% is the standard. Average Benefits.
    Opportunities for advancement really depends on the group you are part of.
    Customer expectation management is terrible which puts an enormous pressure on employees to deliver quality results within a very short turnaround time.

Pay attention to the details and differentiate between work horses and slime balls. The culture of piling on work on the good ones and letting the others slide needs to be changed to retain the best talent.

11 Year employee

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are great people who work there. Depending on your job role there can be good training. Chances for growth if you are willing to relocate or travel. Cross training is available in some areas.

Cons

Low raises and merits, company is not one to take risks so changes can take a long time to implement. Do not always have the best tools available to do your job so there are a lot of manual processes. Communication in the field is not usually good. Managers are set in their ways and not good managers of change. IT infrastructure and support is bad. Little to no chance for advancement if you cannot relocate or travel.

Look at creating more jobs for virtual team environments to provide a greater internal talent leverage. Do more cross training with other accounts and divisions. Improve on the IT infrastructure and support. Look at providing better training to the field, don't push the cost to the location.

Over Worked, Under paid

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in DFW, TX

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, and you start with vacation time

Cons

Work 12+ hours a day, Half that time spent on conference calls talking about what needs to get done instead of actually working on it. Roadside Response calls you at all hours of the night all the time and you have to stay on the phone with them until they get the driver situation resolved. Promotions in DFW seem to be on a "buddy" system. Work life balance is horrible. to many things to try to manage instead of having dedicated people for the task you will be expected to do everything....... you've been warned.

shop office employees need dedicated task (i.e: service writer (CSC) takes write ups, makes RO's/task,communicates with the customers, and gives workload to shop supervisor. Hire a parts guy for all parts, debit memos, credits and inventory control. Your shop supervisor needs to just focus on shop operations, training, safety, and warranty. Service manager should handle the customer visits and monitor shop operations, and help out when needed. instead everyone does all of this which causes a lot of miscommunication. Billing shouldn't be done by the shop. instead all billbacks should be submitted to a billing department with a PO attached that is investigated before we bill so the invoice error rate is minimal. pay better, you know you are going to make your management work 12+ hours a day, at least pay them like it.

Overworked, Overtasked, Undertrained.

Current Employee - Customer Logistics Supervisor
    Current Employee - Customer Logistics Supervisor

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people that work at Ryder, but they are just as overworked as I am.
    Decent Benifits

Cons

No way of moving up without moving.
    Lack of Training.
    Lack of Help to get the job and tasks done properly
    Too many calls to say what we need to do and never gets done.

Look at all the cons. You cannot keep good help. It will take two people to do the work I do in a day. Keep good help by listening to us. My GLM nor my Director listened, Asked nicely repeatedly. Even had a meeting with them to let them know our office and driver frustrations. They did not listen. The system does not work. Your SCOS(TMW) has been patched too many times. Your Peoplenet does not work. Too many conference calls to say what we need to get done instead of doing it. Need better IT support instead of farming it out overseas. Don't hate the job just hate the System and not enough help.

Ryder System Photos