Ryder System

www.ryder.com

Ryder System Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014
Ryder System – “Ryder Systems”

Ryder System – “Ryder Systems”

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • As a leading-edge Fortune 500 company with expanding global presence, we recognize our employees - our knowledge capital - as our most valuable asset (in 7 reviews)

• The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is NO real work/life balance and it always feels like big brother is watching (in 10 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor show of leadership

Driver Men's Wearhouse (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompensation is the only thing they have going for them.

ConsLast minute dispatch. Paperwork normally not ready. Getting ifta stickers and compliance paperwork is a nightmare. Young management that just can't seem to get it together. They treat you like dirt.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome a company based around your core values. The support is not there for employees and the practice of putting so much red tape around the individuals that can help you is annoying.

Corporate-ey but good

Customer Logistics Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStructure, stability, culture, opportunity, expansion

ConsExtremely corporate minded. Superfluous paperwork and process

A lot of opportunities to make a difference but very difficult to really make it happen

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsA lot of good people. It is a stable company with few strong competitors. For most people there is job security. Many opportunities to explore options in other departments

ConsVery conservative company. Different silos that don't talk to each other. Very outdated systems. Projects move very slowly

Advice to Senior ManagementMake aggresive investments to improve systems, even if it has a short term negative impact on financials

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Place to work

Software QA Engineer (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsWork life balance
    Good place
    Good people around to work with
    Management is nice

ConsLot of politics
    Management is not considerate if you have any issues
    Lot of favourism

Advice to Senior Managementstop micro managing people

I"ve gained alot of experience in Material Followup for the automobile industry

Material Follow-up Coordinator (Current Employee) Tonawanda, NY

ProsOffer opportunities such as tuition reimbursement

ConsI can't think of anything negative

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in touch with everyone in remote locations

Good, but not great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, nice people, room to advance

ConsLack of training and culture

STEER CLEAR!!

Freight Broker Inside Sales (Current Employee)

ProsMaybe a good first job if you are young and not really interested in making a lot of money but want to try a corporate environment.

ConsDo not be FOOLED. This is a 6 man 3pl inside of a giant company. All of the talent has already left the building. Not one broker there over a year. This is a department that has not gotten off the ground in the 2 years it started and is not any part of Ryder's core business. It is run by a first time manager and a detached, egomaniac director. Beware, they are not set up to be a functioning department for anyone with a solid book of business and you will be sold a false bill of goods at the interview process. Be prepared to have no operational or managerial support. Make sure you ask what the top producers have made monthly over the past year (not even 10k/month). Ask to see the numbers!! You will not clear 60k in this atmosphere. Pay is a joke for any seasoned broker.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the drawing board.

If working in IT is a nightmare

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Miami, FL

Pros-Decent cheap food at headquarters
    -Depending on your manager can work from home after a month or so

While it is hard to think of many in general the individual contributors and internal customers were generally friendly and easy to get along with.

Cons-Low pay compared to market
    -High levels of stress
    -Average technical knowledge of workforce is below average at all IT levels
    -Over management of projects
    -Management technical understanding extremely limited
    -Very slow moving
    -Unrealistic expectations for deadlines
    -Limited opportunities for advancement
    -Raises are very small compared to market
    -General IT Resources are extremely limited
    -Development resources are limited
    -No centralized company source control
    -Management uses fear mongering to motivate
    -High Turnover

The IT Department at Ryder is toxic, the belligerent style of management that is used at the senior level results in high turnover, gross incompetence, sky rocking cost, and flailing systemic value. The department uses an ineffective traditional engineering methodology for IT solutions to implement technology of yesteryear. Resources are very limited, simple requests like acquiring a database for testing a solution takes weeks to fulfill if you do not know the right person to get around the official procedure.

Management is not willing to spend the money but still expect performance from IT personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompletely gut the entire IT department of all management and start from scratch with people that understand the difference between a software developer and a network administrator.

Get rid of the developers and administrators who perform poorly and instead of hiring an army of incompetent developers hire a few very good developers, use self managed teams with an agile software development methodology to boost productivity. Also try to re-frame perspective on IT department in general, look at them to come up with creative solutions to reduce cost and increase revenue while still maintaining necessary enterprise systems.

needs better management!

Forklift Operator (Former Employee) Morris, IL

Prosthe pay is not bad, and the benefits are pretty good.

ConsPoor management, lousy training not enough equipment for all of the employees.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more involved in the day to day operations.

Cold

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a small check during hard times

ConsFormer managers showed no interest in those who progressively trying to succeed

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the favoritism

Worked for Ryder System? Contribute to the Community!