Ryerson University

Updated August 28, 2014
4.0

Ryerson University President Sheldon Levy
Sheldon Levy

Pros
  • competitive salary and benefits, free tuition, great location in downtown Toronto (in 4 reviews)

• they are flexible and offer great pay and allow plenty of time during the week to focus on school work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • contracts, hard to be hired full time, (in 3 reviews)

• The salary for a part timer was barely above minimum wage and as we were working in a student rez, we were not allowed to get tips (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Current Employee - Ryerson IT Advisor  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Ryerson IT Advisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ryerson University part-time for more than a year

Pros

It has a lot of benefits, people are friendly. It is very easy to commute as it is in the heart of down town and subway and bus and street cars all go that way.

Cons

Maybe some procedures are too time-consuming and recently all the construction work is a little bit too much and a bottle-neck for the people to get around.

I was a Graduate Assistant for the Psychology Department

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ryerson University part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

GAs are unionized so the pay is excellent and well beyond other universities (when I was there it was approximately $40/hr), profs were great, and I enjoyed the experience.

Cons

It depends on the professor you work for, but some are difficult and have pointless deadlines (e.g. need to be done 50% of grading by a certain date and then 100% on another date- generally grad students are able to manage their time well enough that they can finish grading without having a 50% deadline imposed on them).

Amazing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ryerson University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Personal Growth as well as technical advancement is amazing for work study student. Had a blast working and studying!

Cons

Don't think there's any that goes here.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best place to work in Toronto

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ryerson University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You never get a weird look for asking a question or two.

Cons

It would be nice to see a little more responsibility.

An awsome place to work

I worked at Ryerson University

Pros

flexible hours. best location in town

Cons

if travelling by subway transit there could be problem with subway system

A Great University to start your academic career.

I worked at Ryerson University full-time

Pros

Located in Downtown Toronto. Great Professors, Awesome atmosphere, Very well organized, staff and faculty are committed to the advancement of undergraduate and graduate programs.

Cons

Co-op Department should create a better interaction with industries in order to bring more job opportunities for their graduate students.

Lot's of different teaching opportunities

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ryerson University as a contractor

Pros

A large variety of courses to teach. Modern, and centrally-located facility.

Cons

Pay could be higher compared to other Universities, and part-time staff are treated as second cousins.

Value input from your part-time faculty.

Disappointing employer; Poor employee relations

Former Employee - Health Promoter  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Health Promoter in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ryerson University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Location, good pay and benefits, wonderful students, excellent campus resources, accessible, creative faculty, innovative research, variety of campus events

Cons

Very weak employee relations, terrible leadership in Human Resources, bullying is entrenched and overlooked

Human Resources needs to be completely rebuilt for future employees to have faith that they will be able to work in an inclusive, safe and equitable environment. While I loved my job and the students, I don't have any reason I could recommend someone become associated with Ryerson, which is unfortunate since it is my alma matter.

I agree with “Expanding company, poor treatment of employees”

I have been working at Ryerson University

Pros

I currently work at Ryerson University full-time; but, am looking to move on. I know someone who works at Ryerson and they are happy because they have great management who can do a great job and also lead the department effectively and respectfully.
     I found this website & read this Feb 6, 2014 review written by a former employee. This person's experience seems to match my experience at Ryerson almost exactly! Whoever you are, I hope that you have moved on to a great place to work and that you are happy & healthy. I know the negative effects of working at Ryerson also and I feel great empathy towards you.

Cons

I went to HR with my complaints about the management & stressful office atmosphere management created. Nothing was addressed effectively. HR does not promote staff the way they promote management.

I'm going to quote the review I found as it was written so well. I experienced everything (except I haven't left...yet...) and I agree 100%: "The organization is expanding so quickly that people who have no managerial experience are being placed in positions where they have to manage staff. I was bullied throughout my time at Ryerson by my boss, with no recourse despite the fact I filed a complaint. If employees undergo a regular evaluation by their manager, then there should be a way of providing employee feedback on your supervisor. As it was, nothing was done and I had to leave Ryerson because my work situation was too stressful."

I enjoy my work at Ryerson

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ryerson University part-time

Pros

Ryerson is a great university to work for. The location is perfect.
    Working at Ryerson is for me a source of both personal and professional development.

Cons

Compared to other universities in Toronto and Ontario, I think the lack of focus on Research is a challenge for the long-term development of the university.

Well done.

Worked for Ryerson University? Contribute to the Community!