Ryerson University

www.ryerson.ca

Ryerson University Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Ryerson University – Toronto – “Ryerson”

Ryerson University President Sheldon Levy

Sheldon Levy

Pros
  • competitive salary and benefits, free tuition, great location in downtown Toronto(in 4 reviews)

• they are flexible and offer great pay and allow plenty of time during the week to focus on school work(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • contracts, hard to be hired full time,(in 3 reviews)

• The salary for a part timer was barely above minimum wage and as we were working in a student rez, we were not allowed to get tips(in 2 reviews)

Great Place To Work!!!!

Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFriendly but busy atmosphere. Students are great to get along with.

ConsWorking long hours to accomendate the students.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun a steady ship. Give the students what they want as they pay for it in their tuition payments.

As a Globalink intern in Ryerson University

Research Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsI just worked as an intern in Ryerson. Faculty are very nice and helpful. The lab is fully equipped for researches. Location is very convenient. It is just in Toronto's downtown. Ryerson is also a good place to start your own business. As a Globalink intern, I also took part in several workshops, from which I could learn useful skills such as time management, presentation skills etc.

ConsOnly thing I felt inconvenient is the accommodation. It is a little far away from the campus. I was a worker not a student, and my internship was just 3 months. So maybe there are other cons I don't know.....

Working at Ryerson was great - I enjoyed my time there.

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- staff was great to work with
    - helping students achieve goals was very rewarding
    - motivated to go to work each day
    - very fair compensation

Cons- there were quite a few students who had trouble understanding the English language - fortunately Ryerson has an ESL department to help students out
    - really aren't any cons
    - great environment to be in

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Growing University in Canada

Post Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsVery helpful academic stuff, very cooperative coworkers and very good resources.

ConsNeed better support for the postdocs.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore funding opportunity for postdoctoral fellows, association and socialization opportunity for postdoc. Consideration of postdoc as faculty, rather than student. Access to departmental facility as faculty members.

Expanding company, poor treatment of employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, competitive salary, access to a very nice campus and facilities.

ConsTreated very poorly by my supervisor, and nothing was done to look into my concerns even after filing a complaint with HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization is expanding so quickly that people who have no managerial experience are being placed in positions where they have to manage staff. I was bullied throughout my time at Ryerson by my boss, with no recourse despite the fact I filed a complaint. If employees undergo a regular evaluation by their manager, then there should be a way of providing employee feedback on your supervisor. As it was, nothing was done and I had to leave Ryerson because my work situation was too stressful.

Working in the heart of Toronto and inside an academic environment

Lead Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsIt's a university environment with lots of exciting events happening around it due to it's location in the heart of downtown Toronto.

ConsThe commute to work if you live in the suburbs, and the bureaucratic structure an education institution would have.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your internal processes and whether or not you should outsource your business. Somethings may be better done internally but the organization may lack the internal capabilities. Outsourcing should be better planned because I found some vendors we worked with were horrible.

Rewarding, great experience for students

Help Desk Support (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros-Good opportunity for students to get work experience while studying through Work-Study program

Cons-Hard to advance to full time positions
    -Pay not as competitive for some positions

Advice to Senior Management-Create more positions that help departments during the peak season in September

Strong sense of community

Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- good career opportunities
    - good compensation and benefits

Cons- lack of direct communication with senior management

Advice to Senior Management- more face time with employees
    - create a more comfortable environment for staff

Supportive environment, but slow paced.

Student Staff (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- accepting environment.
    - very supportive staff. Understanding of circumstances.
    - Good performance evaluation structure.
    - Try to build and cultivate good relationships based on trust and mutual respect.

Cons- frustrating pace.
    - tons of constant approvals
    - Lack of organization or defined roles.
    - Everything just takes way too long. If you want to print a single paper you have to figure out where the budget is and who is approving it.

Innovative, supportive environment - great people and projects!

Technician (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsInnovation, Accessible, Friendly, Progressive, Supportive for career aspirations. A University that is growing and changing every year - one that you feel proud to be a part of

ConsDifficult to obtain permanent positions

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize your employees potential and specialized areas of contribution.

Worked for Ryerson University? Contribute to the Community!