Ryerson University

www.ryerson.ca

Ryerson University Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Ryerson University – Toronto – “Ryerson”

Ryerson University – Toronto – “Ryerson”

Ryerson University President Sheldon Levy

Sheldon Levy

Pros
  • competitive salary and benefits, free tuition, great location in downtown Toronto (in 4 reviews)

• they are flexible and offer great pay and allow plenty of time during the week to focus on school work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • contracts, hard to be hired full time, (in 3 reviews)

• The salary for a part timer was barely above minimum wage and as we were working in a student rez, we were not allowed to get tips (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthis is a good place to be

Consthis is a nice place to be

An awsome place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosflexible hours. best location in town

Consif travelling by subway transit there could be problem with subway system

A Great University to start your academic career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocated in Downtown Toronto. Great Professors, Awesome atmosphere, Very well organized, staff and faculty are committed to the advancement of undergraduate and graduate programs.

ConsCo-op Department should create a better interaction with industries in order to bring more job opportunities for their graduate students.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lot's of different teaching opportunities

Instructor (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsA large variety of courses to teach. Modern, and centrally-located facility.

ConsPay could be higher compared to other Universities, and part-time staff are treated as second cousins.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue input from your part-time faculty.

Was a good part time job

Food Service Staff (Current Employee) Toronto (Cuba)

ProsI learned to develop a lot of soft skills like for example how to deal with angry/frustrated customer. The staff is very friendly and fun to work with.

ConsThe salary for a part timer was barely above minimum wage and as we were working in a student rez, we were not allowed to get tips...

Disappointing employer; Poor employee relations

Health Promoter (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsLocation, good pay and benefits, wonderful students, excellent campus resources, accessible, creative faculty, innovative research, variety of campus events

ConsVery weak employee relations, terrible leadership in Human Resources, bullying is entrenched and overlooked

Advice to Senior ManagementHuman Resources needs to be completely rebuilt for future employees to have faith that they will be able to work in an inclusive, safe and equitable environment. While I loved my job and the students, I don't have any reason I could recommend someone become associated with Ryerson, which is unfortunate since it is my alma matter.

I agree with “Expanding company, poor treatment of employees”

ProsI currently work at Ryerson University full-time; but, am looking to move on. I know someone who works at Ryerson and they are happy because they have great management who can do a great job and also lead the department effectively and respectfully.
     I found this website & read this Feb 6, 2014 review written by a former employee. This person's experience seems to match my experience at Ryerson almost exactly! Whoever you are, I hope that you have moved on to a great place to work and that you are happy & healthy. I know the negative effects of working at Ryerson also and I feel great empathy towards you.

ConsI went to HR with my complaints about the management & stressful office atmosphere management created. Nothing was addressed effectively. HR does not promote staff the way they promote management.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm going to quote the review I found as it was written so well. I experienced everything (except I haven't left...yet...) and I agree 100%: "The organization is expanding so quickly that people who have no managerial experience are being placed in positions where they have to manage staff. I was bullied throughout my time at Ryerson by my boss, with no recourse despite the fact I filed a complaint. If employees undergo a regular evaluation by their manager, then there should be a way of providing employee feedback on your supervisor. As it was, nothing was done and I had to leave Ryerson because my work situation was too stressful."

I enjoy my work at Ryerson

Instructor (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsRyerson is a great university to work for. The location is perfect.
    Working at Ryerson is for me a source of both personal and professional development.

ConsCompared to other universities in Toronto and Ontario, I think the lack of focus on Research is a challenge for the long-term development of the university.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell done.

Excellent

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsProfession training and workshops are provides, courses are organized, a friendly working environment.

ConsSometimes the size of one section is too big that TA is hard to follow each student's performance.

It is an awesome place to work, but the pay is very little

ProsYou only have to work 3 hours, so it does not take away from your school hours, however you have to work 2 days of the week. You are more than welcome to work more than that. Interview process was easy, and most of the people you talk to are quite nice people.

Consthe pay is very basic, minimum wage. You may get sales commission, but that is if you beat the current benchmark, and sometimes they are set very high on purpose so that you don't reach it. Getting used to the system for calling to some time to figure out.

Worked for Ryerson University? Contribute to the Community!