Ryerson University

Updated October 16, 2014
4.1

Ryerson University President Sheldon Levy
Sheldon Levy

Pros
  • competitive salary and benefits, free tuition, great location in downtown Toronto (in 4 reviews)

• Note: This is a review for Work-Study Contract positions) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • contracts, hard to be hired full time, (in 3 reviews)

• The salary for a part timer was barely above minimum wage and as we were working in a student rez, we were not allowed to get tips (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

The best place to work in Toronto

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ryerson University as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You never get a weird look for asking a question or two.

Cons

It would be nice to see a little more responsibility.

An awsome place to work

I worked at Ryerson University

Pros

flexible hours. best location in town

Cons

if travelling by subway transit there could be problem with subway system

A Great University to start your academic career.

I worked at Ryerson University full-time

Pros

Located in Downtown Toronto. Great Professors, Awesome atmosphere, Very well organized, staff and faculty are committed to the advancement of undergraduate and graduate programs.

Cons

Co-op Department should create a better interaction with industries in order to bring more job opportunities for their graduate students.

Lot's of different teaching opportunities

I have been working at Ryerson University as a contractor

Pros

A large variety of courses to teach. Modern, and centrally-located facility.

Cons

Pay could be higher compared to other Universities, and part-time staff are treated as second cousins.

Value input from your part-time faculty.

Was a good part time job

Current Employee - Food Service Staff in Toronto (Cuba)
    Current Employee - Food Service Staff in Toronto (Cuba)

I have been working at Ryerson University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I learned to develop a lot of soft skills like for example how to deal with angry/frustrated customer. The staff is very friendly and fun to work with.

Cons

The salary for a part timer was barely above minimum wage and as we were working in a student rez, we were not allowed to get tips...

Disappointing employer; Poor employee relations

Former Employee - Health Promoter in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Health Promoter in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ryerson University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Location, good pay and benefits, wonderful students, excellent campus resources, accessible, creative faculty, innovative research, variety of campus events

Cons

Very weak employee relations, terrible leadership in Human Resources, bullying is entrenched and overlooked

Human Resources needs to be completely rebuilt for future employees to have faith that they will be able to work in an inclusive, safe and equitable environment. While I loved my job and the students, I don't have any reason I could recommend someone become associated with Ryerson, which is unfortunate since it is my alma matter.

I agree with “Expanding company, poor treatment of employees”

I have been working at Ryerson University

Pros

I currently work at Ryerson University full-time; but, am looking to move on. I know someone who works at Ryerson and they are happy because they have great management who can do a great job and also lead the department effectively and respectfully.
     I found this website & read this Feb 6, 2014 review written by a former employee. This person's experience seems to match my experience at Ryerson almost exactly! Whoever you are, I hope that you have moved on to a great place to work and that you are happy & healthy. I know the negative effects of working at Ryerson also and I feel great empathy towards you.

Cons

I went to HR with my complaints about the management & stressful office atmosphere management created. Nothing was addressed effectively. HR does not promote staff the way they promote management.

I'm going to quote the review I found as it was written so well. I experienced everything (except I haven't left...yet...) and I agree 100%: "The organization is expanding so quickly that people who have no managerial experience are being placed in positions where they have to manage staff. I was bullied throughout my time at Ryerson by my boss, with no recourse despite the fact I filed a complaint. If employees undergo a regular evaluation by their manager, then there should be a way of providing employee feedback on your supervisor. As it was, nothing was done and I had to leave Ryerson because my work situation was too stressful."

I enjoy my work at Ryerson

I have been working at Ryerson University part-time

Pros

Ryerson is a great university to work for. The location is perfect.
    Working at Ryerson is for me a source of both personal and professional development.

Cons

Compared to other universities in Toronto and Ontario, I think the lack of focus on Research is a challenge for the long-term development of the university.

Well done.

Excellent

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ryerson University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Profession training and workshops are provides, courses are organized, a friendly working environment.

Cons

Sometimes the size of one section is too big that TA is hard to follow each student's performance.

It is an awesome place to work, but the pay is very little

I have been working at Ryerson University

Pros

You only have to work 3 hours, so it does not take away from your school hours, however you have to work 2 days of the week. You are more than welcome to work more than that. Interview process was easy, and most of the people you talk to are quite nice people.

Cons

the pay is very basic, minimum wage. You may get sales commission, but that is if you beat the current benchmark, and sometimes they are set very high on purpose so that you don't reach it. Getting used to the system for calling to some time to figure out.

Ryerson University Photos