Ryerson University Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

4.0

Ryerson University President Sheldon Levy
Sheldon Levy

Pros
  • competitive salary and benefits, free tuition, great location in downtown Toronto (in 4 reviews)

• they are flexible and offer great pay and allow plenty of time during the week to focus on school work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • contracts, hard to be hired full time, (in 3 reviews)

• The salary for a part timer was barely above minimum wage and as we were working in a student rez, we were not allowed to get tips (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

I agree with “Expanding company, poor treatment of employees”

I have been working at Ryerson University

Pros

I currently work at Ryerson University full-time; but, am looking to move on. I know someone who works at Ryerson and they are happy because they have great management who can do a great job and also lead the department effectively and respectfully.
     I found this website & read this Feb 6, 2014 review written by a former employee. This person's experience seems to match my experience at Ryerson almost exactly! Whoever you are, I hope that you have moved on to a great place to work and that you are happy & healthy. I know the negative effects of working at Ryerson also and I feel great empathy towards you.

Cons

I went to HR with my complaints about the management & stressful office atmosphere management created. Nothing was addressed effectively. HR does not promote staff the way they promote management.

I'm going to quote the review I found as it was written so well. I experienced everything (except I haven't left...yet...) and I agree 100%: "The organization is expanding so quickly that people who have no managerial experience are being placed in positions where they have to manage staff. I was bullied throughout my time at Ryerson by my boss, with no recourse despite the fact I filed a complaint. If employees undergo a regular evaluation by their manager, then there should be a way of providing employee feedback on your supervisor. As it was, nothing was done and I had to leave Ryerson because my work situation was too stressful."

I enjoy my work at Ryerson

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Instructor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ryerson University part-time

Pros

Ryerson is a great university to work for. The location is perfect.
    Working at Ryerson is for me a source of both personal and professional development.

Cons

Compared to other universities in Toronto and Ontario, I think the lack of focus on Research is a challenge for the long-term development of the university.

Well done.

Excellent

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ryerson University as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Profession training and workshops are provides, courses are organized, a friendly working environment.

Cons

Sometimes the size of one section is too big that TA is hard to follow each student's performance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is an awesome place to work, but the pay is very little

I have been working at Ryerson University

Pros

You only have to work 3 hours, so it does not take away from your school hours, however you have to work 2 days of the week. You are more than welcome to work more than that. Interview process was easy, and most of the people you talk to are quite nice people.

Cons

the pay is very basic, minimum wage. You may get sales commission, but that is if you beat the current benchmark, and sometimes they are set very high on purpose so that you don't reach it. Getting used to the system for calling to some time to figure out.

Great Place To Work!!!!

Former Employee - Food Service Supervisor  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Food Service Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ryerson University as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Friendly but busy atmosphere. Students are great to get along with.

Cons

Working long hours to accomendate the students.

Run a steady ship. Give the students what they want as they pay for it in their tuition payments.

As a Globalink intern in Ryerson University

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ryerson University as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I just worked as an intern in Ryerson. Faculty are very nice and helpful. The lab is fully equipped for researches. Location is very convenient. It is just in Toronto's downtown. Ryerson is also a good place to start your own business. As a Globalink intern, I also took part in several workshops, from which I could learn useful skills such as time management, presentation skills etc.

Cons

Only thing I felt inconvenient is the accommodation. It is a little far away from the campus. I was a worker not a student, and my internship was just 3 months. So maybe there are other cons I don't know.....

Working at Ryerson was great - I enjoyed my time there.

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ryerson University part-time for more than a year

Pros

- staff was great to work with
    - helping students achieve goals was very rewarding
    - motivated to go to work each day
    - very fair compensation

Cons

- there were quite a few students who had trouble understanding the English language - fortunately Ryerson has an ESL department to help students out
    - really aren't any cons
    - great environment to be in

Best Growing University in Canada

Current Employee - Post Doctoral Fellow  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Post Doctoral Fellow in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ryerson University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very helpful academic stuff, very cooperative coworkers and very good resources.

Cons

Need better support for the postdocs.

More funding opportunity for postdoctoral fellows, association and socialization opportunity for postdoc. Consideration of postdoc as faculty, rather than student. Access to departmental facility as faculty members.

Expanding company, poor treatment of employees

I worked at Ryerson University full-time

Pros

Great benefits, competitive salary, access to a very nice campus and facilities.

Cons

Treated very poorly by my supervisor, and nothing was done to look into my concerns even after filing a complaint with HR.

Working in the heart of Toronto and inside an academic environment

Former Employee - Lead Guest Service Agent  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Lead Guest Service Agent in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ryerson University full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a university environment with lots of exciting events happening around it due to it's location in the heart of downtown Toronto.

Cons

The commute to work if you live in the suburbs, and the bureaucratic structure an education institution would have.

Consider your internal processes and whether or not you should outsource your business. Somethings may be better done internally but the organization may lack the internal capabilities. Outsourcing should be better planned because I found some vendors we worked with were horrible.

Worked for Ryerson University? Contribute to the Community!