Ryerson University

www.ryerson.ca

Ryerson University Reviews in Toronto, ON

Updated Jun 13, 2014
Ryerson University – Toronto – “Ryerson”

Ryerson University President Sheldon Levy

Sheldon Levy

Pros
  • competitive salary and benefits, free tuition, great location in downtown Toronto(in 4 reviews)

• they are flexible and offer great pay and allow plenty of time during the week to focus on school work(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • contracts, hard to be hired full time,(in 3 reviews)

• The salary for a part timer was barely above minimum wage and as we were working in a student rez, we were not allowed to get tips(in 2 reviews)

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Lot's of different teaching opportunities

Instructor (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsA large variety of courses to teach. Modern, and centrally-located facility.

ConsPay could be higher compared to other Universities, and part-time staff are treated as second cousins.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue input from your part-time faculty.

Disappointing employer; Poor employee relations

Health Promoter (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsLocation, good pay and benefits, wonderful students, excellent campus resources, accessible, creative faculty, innovative research, variety of campus events

ConsVery weak employee relations, terrible leadership in Human Resources, bullying is entrenched and overlooked

Advice to Senior ManagementHuman Resources needs to be completely rebuilt for future employees to have faith that they will be able to work in an inclusive, safe and equitable environment. While I loved my job and the students, I don't have any reason I could recommend someone become associated with Ryerson, which is unfortunate since it is my alma matter.

I enjoy my work at Ryerson

Instructor (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsRyerson is a great university to work for. The location is perfect.
    Working at Ryerson is for me a source of both personal and professional development.

ConsCompared to other universities in Toronto and Ontario, I think the lack of focus on Research is a challenge for the long-term development of the university.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell done.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsProfession training and workshops are provides, courses are organized, a friendly working environment.

ConsSometimes the size of one section is too big that TA is hard to follow each student's performance.

Great Place To Work!!!!

Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFriendly but busy atmosphere. Students are great to get along with.

ConsWorking long hours to accomendate the students.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun a steady ship. Give the students what they want as they pay for it in their tuition payments.

As a Globalink intern in Ryerson University

Research Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsI just worked as an intern in Ryerson. Faculty are very nice and helpful. The lab is fully equipped for researches. Location is very convenient. It is just in Toronto's downtown. Ryerson is also a good place to start your own business. As a Globalink intern, I also took part in several workshops, from which I could learn useful skills such as time management, presentation skills etc.

ConsOnly thing I felt inconvenient is the accommodation. It is a little far away from the campus. I was a worker not a student, and my internship was just 3 months. So maybe there are other cons I don't know.....

Working at Ryerson was great - I enjoyed my time there.

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- staff was great to work with
    - helping students achieve goals was very rewarding
    - motivated to go to work each day
    - very fair compensation

Cons- there were quite a few students who had trouble understanding the English language - fortunately Ryerson has an ESL department to help students out
    - really aren't any cons
    - great environment to be in

Best Growing University in Canada

Post Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsVery helpful academic stuff, very cooperative coworkers and very good resources.

ConsNeed better support for the postdocs.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore funding opportunity for postdoctoral fellows, association and socialization opportunity for postdoc. Consideration of postdoc as faculty, rather than student. Access to departmental facility as faculty members.

Working in the heart of Toronto and inside an academic environment

Lead Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsIt's a university environment with lots of exciting events happening around it due to it's location in the heart of downtown Toronto.

ConsThe commute to work if you live in the suburbs, and the bureaucratic structure an education institution would have.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your internal processes and whether or not you should outsource your business. Somethings may be better done internally but the organization may lack the internal capabilities. Outsourcing should be better planned because I found some vendors we worked with were horrible.

Rewarding, great experience for students

Help Desk Support (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros-Good opportunity for students to get work experience while studying through Work-Study program

Cons-Hard to advance to full time positions
    -Pay not as competitive for some positions

Advice to Senior Management-Create more positions that help departments during the peak season in September

Worked for Ryerson University? Contribute to the Community!