S.C. Johnson
www.scjohnson.com Racine, WI 5000+ Employees

S.C. Johnson Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014
S.C. Johnson – Waxdale – “SCJ Windmill”

S.C. Johnson Chairman and CEO H. Fisk Johnson

H. Fisk Johnson

Pros:
  • "Friendly work environment, good work-life balance, talented individuals"
    in 20 reviews
  • "good compensation and good benefits"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low tolerance for risk, lack of clear decision making tree, and many times slow to move"
    in 6 reviews
  • "No work life balance (meetings are done during the night as counterparts are not flexible with time)"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A great family company

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Racine, WI

ProsExcellent benefits, good work/life balance, opportunity for advancement, the company operates in many categories so it was a great chance to learn several different business models

Conscompany went overboard with some work policies, relationship between senior management and the ad agency was too close

Stable environment but stagnant career opportunity

Research Designer (Current Employee)
    Racine, WI

ProsPeople are friendly. The company is family-oriented and still privately held. The work-load is reasonable. They offer great concierge service.

ConsCompany values longevity over pretty much anything else. People have been around forever, and there's not a lot of influx of new talent. There's very little career growth or opportunity. I do not recommend coming here if you are actively building your career.

Solid company, you own your development, bureaucratic, not meritocracy, impact by sharing success with in-crowd.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAbility to work on meaningful projects and have impact. The trick to this is making middle management central to any innovation or major contribution.

ConsPeople hoard power positions and block attempts for people to get foot into established projects out of fear of becoming obsolete or being out shined.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the smart, young employees show what they know and don't let middle management control what smart employees have to offer. You might discover the next innovation within the halls and walls if you allow direct line of sight to leadership.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company that desreve to be better

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
    Cairo, GA

ProsGood working environment, with vast heritage and extreme honorable values ,well educated & selected people, high exposure to many aspects of business, lots of learning and education, Global platform does have lots of accumulated experience & practices over the years , especially in the operations & manufacturing side, challenging to the max of the limits.

ConsLots of directions , people are so much busy with objectives they have and cannot effectively follow, pressure is high to the extent that work life balance is not maintained to the set standards,
    This we believe is an awesome tool that is not fully committed to, Resources & retention are an issues, succession plans does not work to what it should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick back more to the family values

Amazing Company with great benefits, work/life balance, management, and learning experiences!

Brand Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSmart people, benefits, HQ offices, Holidays, Opportunity for Growth

ConsLocation, Conservative Culture, Large Corporation limits fast growth

Advice to Senior ManagementMove marketing office to Chicago!

Overblown sense of worth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood brands that are supported more by retailers than by company. Work hard to launch new items unique to the marketplace.

ConsSignificant loss of brand equity; do anything for top 4 retailers not much for the others; Sr. management in disarray - changing COO's; whim of the week. Have to have the right relationships to get ahead, talent doesn't matter. Speaking the truth not rewarded, must keep up appearances.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some integrity when dealing with employees.

Exceptionally well-run, organization that places people in position to be successful

Print Services Analyst II (Former Employee)
    Racine, WI

ProsThe leadership with whom I worked was confident in their selection of me, therefore, when I made recommendations that were in the best interest of the organization, they implemented change. The review of the SWOT analysis was efficient, thereby realizing (close to) immediate benefit by the implementation of change in a most timely manner.

ConsThe con I experienced was with the recruiting company & the way they handled the financial aspect of the opportunity.

I didn't really have any bad experiences with SC Johnson aside from consulting work that led me to live in WI during the winter months.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention to what is happening when you contract with a recruiting company for consultants / contractors.

Technical Specialist

Research Scientist (Current Employee)
    Racine, WI

ProsWork Life balance programs, profit sharing, benifits.

ConsI personally do not have any cons, other than maybe the location

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive to be more transparent

Secure company.

Racine, WI

ProsEmployee discount, profit sharing and profit sharing break. Flexible work schedule and telecommuting opportunities for office employees with the right manager (not available in all departments).

ConsLittle, if any, room for career growth unless you are visible to the right people. Inconsistent feedback with regards to promotional opportunities. If you have the education you will be told you lack internal experience and if you have internal experience you will be told you lack education. However, depending on the employee, you could have both and still not be properly compensated for your achievements.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the skills of people within the organization and re-evaluate that you have the right people doing the right jobs. It isn't always necessary to utilize retirees as consultants if the current employees are utilized to their full potential.

Summer Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat family company culture, people are all super-friendly and easy to work with

ConsNot on cutting edge, slow moving with some supply chain practices, very meeting focused sometimes can have too many

Worked for S.C. Johnson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at S.C. Johnson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for S.C. Johnson CEO H. Fisk Johnson. All 120 reviews posted anonymously by S.C. Johnson employees.