S.L . Nusbaum Reviews

Miles Leon

1. Maintenance Manager

Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Portsmouth, VA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Portsmouth, VA

I worked at S.L . Nusbaum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well organized company with great people for the physical plant support. I thoroughly enjoyed working for this company, however, the property managers as a rule are poor decision makers. And, most are scared of their regional. Not a very good cohesive team approach.

Cons

There's always a con, however, if you had to pick one over the other, this is a good company to be associated with.

Advice to Management

Raise the bar and hire talent. It's going to cost up front, however, the rewards will follow.
    During my time with this company, I've met few truly qualified techs and managers.
    Technology and talented techs are what's going to make or break the rental industry.

2. Employees are not important at SL Nusbaum

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at S.L . Nusbaum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Apartment communities are kept in good shape with decent landscaping which makes it nice to come to work. Good qualifying requirements for residents to attempt to keep the riff-raff out. Money in budget to plan parties for residents and they like that.

Cons

Their management style is fear. They are a property management company, not an owner so the owners are their customers. They expect 100% occupancy all the time. Every day you spend turning an apartment you are losing the company money and they are sure to let you know it. Many of their properties are Tax Credit which means "Affordable Housing." There are maximums on how much money you can make and live there and you have to re-certify it every year. It is a paperwork nightmare and if you make a mistake you get written up. They also accept Section 8 vouchers which means you have to deal with the governmental red tape and idiocy of the Housing Authority. The worst thing is they never let you take any time off. Somehow they don't have FMLA even though they have hundreds of employees so if you get in a car accident and need a month to recover you can kiss your job goodbye. Got cancer and need chemo and radiation? You're out. The only thing I have seen and I think this is very discriminatory is if you are a certain ethnic class and your family lives out of the country they will let you take all your vacation at one time (typically 2 weeks) to go visit them. The pay is the lowest I've seen in the industry. If you are at a big property the commission on leases and renewals makes up for it but at a small property you get hardly anything.

Advice to Management

Start respecting your employees. Regionals: stop your surprise visits to properties like you are going to catch somebody doing something wrong. We are professionals, not children. You are losing good property managers because of low salaries. Survey other companies to see what they are paying. Let your employees have some time off. Their kids have Dr. appointments. They have grandbabies that live out of town. They need to have their car worked on. They have a life, not just a job.

3. Phenomenal company

Current Employee - Community Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at S.L . Nusbaum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SL Nusbaum is a wonderful company to work for. Their growth in the past 2 years speaks for itself, they promote a nice work/life balance, coworkers are great. RPMs communicate frequently with the communities to ensure smooth running. They are always willing to help and support.

Cons

The daily grind of the properties can become tiresome, but this is true with any job. The benefit with Nusbaum is there are always coworkers and supervisors there to share a laugh after the madness.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and keep acquiring new properties!

5. Expect to do your job, no appreciation, not a lot of chance for advancement

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant

I worked at S.L . Nusbaum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training available, commission is okay if split properly. If you like just going in doing your job, pressure to perform with little reward and feeling like an extra in a movie. This is the perfect job.

Cons

all events are near the corporate office. If corporate comes to the property they would rather point out negatives than even stating positives, and that is if they speak to you. Politics is the name of the game. You can work as hard as anyone under the sun, but it is truly about who you know instead of how hard you work. A lot of things are still done with the good ole pen and paper instead of electronically.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees.

Best employer yet

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at S.L . Nusbaum as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, friendly co-workers, forward thinking, I learned a lot in a short amount of time, many leadership initiatives, they will help grow you if you give them your all, decent pay.

Cons

lots of customer service, some repetitive tasks, sometimes too many hours for an internship.

Advice to Management

it is clear how Nusbaum has made it over 100 years. Keep doing what you're doing.

7. Great Company to work for.

I worked at S.L . Nusbaum

Pros

The company likes to promote from within and encourages employees to grow.

Cons

The real-estate business can be challenging because there can be a lot of fluctuation depending on the market.

8. There is discrimination racially and sexually

I have been working at S.L . Nusbaum

Pros

The co-workers can be fun to work with. Great camaraderie!

Cons

The company does not care about their employees. It was made known that employees are unimportant and dispensable. I have observed extreme sexual and racial bias in this company. Women make less than men. There is no opportunity for growth unless you are willing to brown nose. Managers do not have a good repertoire with the employees and make themselves very inaccessible as if they are better than you. The cost of living in the area is very high yet the pay checks do not reflect that. You make the bare minimum, but are still expected to be presentable as if you have a lot of money. This is one of the only companies who does not provide employee discounts on housing.

Advice to Management

If you want employees to care about their jobs, care about your employees. They are all humans just like you! Stop only being interested in lining your own pockets, everyone needs to live. If you want happy workers, make their work environment happy. Then and only then will you see better work habits. I have observed people make way more walking into the door in comparison to a person who has been a good worker for years and just as qualified at their position. That is highly discriminatory. Remember, it is the workers who keep your properties afloat!

9. Worked full time in office setting

Former Employee - Office in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Office in Norfolk, VA

I worked at S.L . Nusbaum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay well, decent benefits

Cons

Older workers have clicks seem to work against newcomers, seems to be ok with management.

Advice to Management

Give newcomers a chance to learn and grow.

10. Leasing Consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I worked at S.L . Nusbaum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Abundance of work, never bored

Cons

Difficulty in working your way up in the company

11. Former employee

I worked at S.L . Nusbaum

Pros

You don't have need prior leasing experience to get started working at an apartment complex. If you have customer service experience in any area you can apply to be a leasing consultant. They offer paid time off. They are closed on the basic holidays and you get holiday pay. They have a fair amount of training for employees. They do promote from within which is something a lot of companies have gotten away from. (It seems more and more that current employees are competing for jobs with outside applicants who have responded to job advertisements.) There is room for advancement. If you start out as a leasing consultant you will earn about $10 an hour and sometimes $11 (which is lower than most companies) and if promoted to assistant manager you can expect to earn $12 to $12.50 an hour, again several dollars lower than the average pay. You will earn commission of $35 per move (this is when you obtain a deposit on an apartment) It depends on the size of the property as to how many move-ins you will average) If you are on a troubled property you can expect get more like 8 to 10 move ins. However, when you fill up your unit’s things slow down. On a typical property you can expect to get 3 to 4 move per month. Most companies pay $50 to $100 per move-in so again Nusbaum is cutting their employee short.
    If you are a maintenance tech you can expect to earn between $9 and $10 dollars. Assistant maintenance techs earn about $11 to $12 and a supervisor usually earns $16 to $17. I’m honestly not sure if this is good or average wages for a maintenance person. If I had to guess I would say it is low pay. The maintenance and leasing staff will earn a small monthly commission of renewals that usually amounts to less than $100 depending on the size of the property. (Typical to see $40 to $50 if that)

Cons

They do not contribute to your 401K. I’m not sure what it is like to work at the corporate office but I can speak for what it is like to work at the apartments they manage. Be prepared to work with people of less intelligence. I have worked with people who had no computer experience and talk in slang terms, managers with tattoos on their fingers and necks. You will have to fight to use your PTO time. They will not pay you over time even if you are forced to stay after 5pm. If you want a job you will have to suck it up.
    I worked for Nusbaum for several years and they were hiring new people without any prior job stability or experience for $1.00 less an hour then what I was earning.
    Don’t expect to get a pay raise. I know several community managers that haven’t had a raise in many years.
    Managers pick and choose what company’s policies they want to go by and make up their own rules as they go along.
    They would rather wait until there is a major catastrophic disaster then to make a repair that would be considered preventative maintenance.
    If you are having a problem with your manager it can be difficult to resolve the issue because you are discouraged from speaking to your regional manager.
    It is very surprising to see the level of incompetency site managers possess.

Advice to Management

Require your employees to have a good stable job history and start verifying their personal and professional references, because I know for a fact this is not being done on several of your properties. Require at least one year of experience and I highly recommend you start doing random drug testing and criminal background checks, not just upon being hired. Stopping running around saying “we are a multibillion dollar company and that your employees should dress like it” when you are paying us so little that we can’t make it to our next pay check. Find a way for your employees speak to someone higher than a regional without repercussions. Understand that you get what you pay for. If you want to be the best you have to hire the best and being willing to equally compensate employees. I think regional managers should provide private quarterly reviews with their leasing staff (without site managers being present) as a tool to gather information and to provide opportunity to understand how to improve on both sides.