S&P Capital IQ

S&P Capital IQ Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

S&P Capital IQ President Lou Eccleston

Lou Eccleston

Pros:
  • "Competitive salary, Great work life balance, perks, less pressure"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Strong learning culture, friendly work environment"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management has no interest in investing in employees and assisting in development"
    in 13 reviews
  • "No Learning- After 6 months your learning curve falls and get ready to do the same stuff for the rest of your life"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pathetic pathetic...bunch of goons running the place!

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at S&P Capital IQ for more than a year

ProsGood for unambitious people. If you are even 5% motivated and want to add value to your Resume dont join this place.

Cons1) Management
2)) People: Everybody is a junior who think they know it all...wrong on all levels...there are no good mentors and non technical people are given techincal jobs.
3) Some business teams are good but majority have no vision

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all and get a new management

Mismanaged senior people

Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at S&P Capital IQ full-time for more than 5 years

Prosbenefits from parent are good

Conslimited directtion from mgmt and product focus

Great Place to Learn A Lot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at S&P Capital IQ

Uncertainty about future state

An evolving story ...

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at S&P Capital IQ full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBusiness leadership has been good at articulating strategy in the last few years. Urgency is there.

ConsThere has been a fair amount of re-organizations due to leadership changes within the last 5+ years. Also, unless you are part of a key priority, you could be left behind. There has been a relatively high level of voluntary attrition to staff in the last year or so.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on ensuring there is a balanced scorecard on the key management team across all areas of the firm especially in areas where there is a greater than normal level of staff attrition.

Great place to start a Career

I have been working at S&P Capital IQ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Balanced work-life
- Friendly and relaxed work environment
- Good pay for amount of hours worked

Cons- Career path uncertain
- S&P culture has changed the start-up atmosphere
- NOT finance

Again, mismanaged and heading off a cliff

General Expert On Everything At the Company (Former Employee)

I worked at S&P Capital IQ full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNone, over the past 1 1/2 years

ConsParanoid culture, cost cutting with ill reward, talented employees leaving, lack of product innovation

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are likely in the wrong business and are set up for failure. CEO is a glorified talk-show host.

The company is going swiftly downhill since S&P take over

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at S&P Capital IQ full-time for more than a year

Pros- No pressure, Chill environment
- Coworkers are nice

ConsThe company lacks vision or direction since the S&P take over. The CEO is arrogant and is not afraid to reduce salary across the board at the cost of driving every last talent away. Both of the guys who interviewed me quit within 6 month. People are leaving every week, it's truly sad. To cut cost, the company outsources a lot of development to india. The quality is greatly reduced. Then, as a bandaid fix, they hired Microsoft consultants at 500 dollars an hour, while handing out yearly raise less than the natural inflation rate!
It feels like the upper management are clueless of what they are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. You guys are so terrible it's helpless!

A good company to work for at one time but management has changed it for the worse

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at S&P Capital IQ full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat entry level work, resume builder, benefits, telecommuting.

ConsThe company is too political, and to get ahead, you must kiss up to your manager and/or management. Lou Eccleston and his Thomson cronies have not brought any value or market driven products to the marketplace. As a result, he has taken the easy route by making a name for himself by reorganizing and most importantly, cutting costs. Reducing staff, salaries, & compensation is the standard which has made for a very unhappy, insecure workforce that is fearful of losing their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementMcGraw Hill needs to change management and create a culture that values and rewards it's employees from the bottom up. The company needs to make a real investment in market research in order to better understand the needs and wants of customers in order to bring real, market driven products instead of forcing unwanted products to customers.

Sales

I have been working at S&P Capital IQ full-time

ProsGood work/life balance.
Pays well enough.

ConsLou Eccleston, CEO, and Bob Coppola, CTO, in particular, are clueless to what really is going on within the company, and proven by their actions (or lack thereof), have no idea how to run a technology company.
Resources are spread too thin and product development has essentially ceased to exist.
Political nature of a large and old company makes it extremely inefficient to do almost anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring current or former Thomson employees. That company is a mess and we will just end up their same dismal position if we do not change our ways

At the cusp

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at S&P Capital IQ full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany has a ton of assets. They just need to put them together, and get organized to take things to the next level.

ConsThe game of fluffing the story up to make it sound better than it is goes up the chain so there is no focus on real problems. Too much spin. There also seems to be an affinity for hiring people that are under-achieving ivy league kids. Top of the pack get real jobs, and this company is clearly meant to succeed in a blue collar financial services way.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house if someone is doing a poor job. Entitlement, and seniority should be cut off at inception.

Worked for S&P Capital IQ? Contribute to the Community!

S&P Capital IQ Videos

S&P Capital IQ – Why Work for Us?

About S&P Capital IQ S&P Capital IQ is the powerful new combination of offerings previously provided by Capital IQ, elements of S&P including Global Credit Portal and MarketScope Advisor, enterprise solutions such as… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at S&P Capital IQ reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for S&P Capital IQ CEO Lou Eccleston. All 184 reviews posted anonymously by S&P Capital IQ employees.