SABMiller

SABMiller Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

SABMiller Chief Executive Officer Alan Clark

Alan Clark

Pros
  • International face-to-face learning, very good resources, smart people, fun category, free beer(in 7 reviews)

• You get to work with some great people and it's interesting(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushes the boundaries of work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Although the organisation feels a little behind (in terms of operating as a true global(in 6 reviews)

A multinational managing its growing pains

Finance Manager (I Grade) (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsGreat people, consistent management, focus on producing excellent products while respecting its clients and employees. Office culture is very open, with perks such as daily gourmet lunch included, free monthly cases of excellent beers and an office pub open after hours to all employees and visitors.

ConsHistorical silos still exist within countries and processes. Centralisation is the key word, but it means organisational changes affecting people and job stability.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the focus on improving for the long term without sacrificing the good practices that teams have already developed.

May 27, 2014

Thank you for taking time to post your review of your experience working for SABMiller. We are glad to hear you are enjoying the people, management and culture. As some of our structures are ... More

A challenging environment, where challenging professionals can thrive.

Marketing Director (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsYou won't find a better place to learn about the industry. What you put in, you will get out.

ConsSome of the expectations in terms of time commitment are over the top. Occasionally the company suffers from analysis paralysis - too much second guessing the data and not enough action.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust & empower your people to make decisions.

May 27, 2014

Thank you for taking time to post a review of your experience working at SABMiller. I'm not certain how long ago you left the organisation, however, we have been actively working on making dedicated ... More

Excellent company to work for.

ProsHonest, high integrity, very experienced

ConsVery little negative feedback, companys market is in a depressed area of the southwest

Advice to Senior ManagementFind more commercial work

May 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review of SABMiller. We are disappointed to read that you would not recommend this company to a friend and aren't optimistic about the outlook for the ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love beer and planning how to sell beer? Love Miller!

Market Research Manager (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsOther than the free beer - A lot of good people work in the field making the numbers everyday. They know how to market their product to their audience.

ConsPlanning, planning, planning - This took several months and they kept changing the process every year! Way too many consultants selling them on new ways to plan!

Advice to Senior ManagementSelling beer is local - trust your local marketing and sales teams to meet the goals that you give to them!

Great company to work for!

Administrative (Current Employee) Woking, England (UK)

ProsOffice culture is supportive and collaborative, benefits are second to none (free beer, medical and dental cover for you, partner and kids, pension options, life assurance, childcare vouchers, allowance per day for on-site lunch/drinks/snacks, social events for family), recession-proof industry.

ConsThe company attracts, recruits and keeps the best - so keep your game up and take advantage of the training and expertise available around you. Be aware that you are an ambassador to the company. It's beneficial to be open to relocation (Global) for progression.

Jul 16, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your experience working at SABMiller. We are thrilled you are having such a fantastic work experience.

Falling in love with beer

ProsOpportunities to travel, move sideways and upwards and enjoy a relaxed and flexible work environment.

ConsToo fragmented globally - wasting and losing talent and causing frustration and uncertainty. Management too slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare vision and delivery globally and without chinese walls. Make decisions faster, with ownership and accountability instead of by fora. Enable innovation upwards and actually implement change.

SABMiller Head of Global Talent Acquisition responded to this review

Jul 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience working at SABMiller and for your advice to senior management. We take on board all comments as areas for improvement. Also ... More

Tunnel vision, no holistic overview of employees and future expectations. Sad!

Channel Manager (Former Employee) Johannesburg (South Africa)

ProsGreat brands, know you are part of a highly successful company. benefits are good and salaries aren't bad in comparison. Long hours but that's all good if you know your'e appreciated

ConsVery much a image based company. More concerned with what outsiders think than their own employees. Succession planing inadequate and almost non existent. In house training minimal and not of value. No career development and those who want to excel and put in their all, including additional external degrees are ridiculed and tossed aside. Agree with previous comment, keep the bad apples and discriminate against those who are making a difference -positively.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at you staff and use them appropriately to improve the business. Stop promoting those internally who are "tjommies", buddies. You have lost valuable staff due to a severe lack of understanding what your IMP is all about and making sure it works for your business. Also stop discriminating against white males, you employed them, trained them, paid for additional qualifications and then discard.

Jul 25, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience working at SABMiller in S. Africa. We are disappointed to hear that you don't feel you had a positive experience. We take on board your ... More

Seductive culture, little substance

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsWhen you work at SABMiller, you feel like the luckiest person ever. It's glamorous and lively. You get to work with some great people and it's interesting. You are challenged and stimulated. The management car scheme is great. The beer is awesome.

ConsIt's run on an Old Boy's Club basis. It's very sexist and the salaries are low. Training is limited and considering the profit they make, employee investment is minial.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring your mates and using politics. When you haeamorrage good people, there is a reason. Stop protecting mediocre managers and evil people who cause trouble and even lawsuits. Stop the bullying.

Jul 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your former experience in working at SABMiller. We are sorry you didn't feel this was an optimal experience for you. We can appreciate that employee ... More

Challenging, interesting, fraught with politics, relentless pressure

Group Strategy and Planning Manager (Former Employee) Johannesburg (South Africa)

ProsIntreresting work, ambitious people, always challenged

ConsTough mail dominated culture, strong drinking culture, very political

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more balanced culture, more professionalism, esp in regional operations, strive for more gender equity

Jun 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review of SABMiller. We're sorry to hear you feel the culture is still male dominated. We are actively working to raise the gender diversity balance ... More

Challenging

Trade Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Posen (Germany)

ProsInteresting work environment with set roles but open to taking on responsibility

ConsProcesses are not optimally organised, regional departments don't communicate with each other

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more involved with employees

Worked for SABMiller? Contribute to the Community!