SAC Federal Credit Union Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.8
Gail L. DeBoer

Great potential but poor execution

Current Employee - Middle Management in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Omaha, NE

I have been working at SAC Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

SAC Serves it community well, it is an institution that gives back to the community. It has some amazing employees who really put member care first.

Cons

I believe that the culture of the company has changed in the last few years. The only goals are driving towards a billion dollar in assets and opening the new main facility. Further evidence of the culture change is the lavish top floor of the new building that shows just how much the senior management of the credit union think of themselves. When you combine that with the special perks they get like Concierge doctors service, huge bonuses and special retirement plans It is starting to look more like a big bank, than a Credit Union. That is very sad to the 100s of people on the front line that have to explain to our members why their fees keep going up.

Advice to Management

Try to remember why SAC FCU was started and get back to your roots. The goal of the credit union should not be a billion dollars in assets, or any dollar amount. It should be serving their members and keeping their costs down at all costs. Try to remember what it was like when your only focus was serving the member, not leaving legacy.

2. More interested in making money than they do about their employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at SAC Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of branches to choose from

Cons

staff cut backs make it stressful to get work done

Advice to Management

Go back to what a credit union is supposed to be, a place that helps it's members instead of trying to get the bottom line to a billion dollars so that the President can retire with a huge bonus.

3. ABSOLUTLY THE WORSE BANK I

I have been working at SAC Federal Credit Union

Pros

i got approved by SAC

Cons

Lists,cheats don't care about anybody. Will not work with you at all. Takes business personal Depending on thier mood of the day. I hate this bank

Advice to Management

Learn manners, stop lying, and cheating people.

5. Worst company EVER

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Omaha, NE

I worked at SAC Federal Credit Union

Pros

They have some people who really care about doing the right thing and making it a better place just not enought.

Cons

they are not a credit union but a bank now. I worked here 15yrs because I challenged how they were doing things NCUA should come in and rip apart every loan they are doing illegal things and management covers it up. Only care about money. If you can pay ur VPs to take a whole month off they obviously aren't needed but just getting paid for nothing. Sad really use to be a great company till Gail debore got put on charge.

Advice to Management

be more hands on and don't break laws just to get money

6. One of the best companies anyone could work for!

Current Employee - Senior FSS in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior FSS in Omaha, NE

I have been working at SAC Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since I've been with SAC they have had a new and very successful compensation program in effect. Many opportunities for career growth and very welcoming environment for employee's. Member service is the number on priority and the company speaks for its dedication towards member service.

Cons

I have no negative things to say for the company I care for and have a dedication and motivation to be successful along with it!

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your employee's, member's, and communities in your best interest as they are who shape up the credit union experience.

Could be amazing

I have been working at SAC Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Branch level management is amazing, as well as co-workers, HR and Culture Development.

Cons

Hands are tied by senior management. When have you EVER heard of a financial institution running out of cash? True story. Pay is low, stress is high. Horrible hours.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, compensate them better and create better work hours. Retention rates are not good for these reasons. You are losing a lot of great employees. Do not tie the hands of branch management. You put them in their positions, give them the authority to manage. When we do not have the cash to give to members, they WILL take their business elsewhere. When your employees do not have a good balance of work and home life, and are not compensated fairly, they WILL take their expertise elsewhere.

Not a desirable longterm position

I have been working at SAC Federal Credit Union (More than a year)

Pros

- good entry level banking positions
    - great coworkers
    - flexibility in schedules

Cons

- below the normal for pay even though they consider it competitive...probably because the credit union has to pay for Gail DeBoer's fancy white Lexus and the gas that goes in it...
    - their new building is a hideous money sucker that caused them to LOSE money instead of bring in money...you would think a business within the finance industry would know how to budget properly
    - employees are scattered and will tell customers something that doesn't follow corporate guidelines so when they go to another branch and are told the correct thing the customers get upset and angry
    - they don't take the time to evaluate employees on all different levels so management that isn't suitable in their current roles is hardly ever addressed and retrained

Advice to Management

- Gail, you don't need a car paid for by the credit union
    - if their is going to be a fees schedule, make sure it is properly followed
    - make sure your employees feel more appreciated
    - don't pay your employees lower than average wages (does not pair well with "competitive pay", the new SAC building, and the CEO's all expenses paid for vehicle)
    - actually conduct reviews on your management teams (all levels) on all more regular basis...bad management that is not addressed leads to higher turnover

downhill company

I have been working at SAC Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Used to be a good company to work for until someone got a little greedy and now only cares about making sure the car is parked in the new heated underground garage

Cons

nobody cares, they will let someone who has worked here for many years just quit. They hire outside instead of promoting/hiring within. All around horrible. All females in the management and it shows....grudges and all jealous haters. By the way your new multi million dollar building is very ugly and an eyesore to all passerby. I wish nothing but bad things for this company as they don't care about their employees even though that without them, you would have nothing. No morals. No dignity. Just all the Presidents friends working together and taking over the CU. Horrible place to work, I do not recommend it to anyone.

Advice to Management

Make sure you know who you are hiring and they are willing to learn the job. Do not allow your employees to train another employee who is getting paid more and knows nothing. If this is the way you want to run your business your 200+ employee status will crumble....

Heading in the wrong direction...

I have been working at SAC Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Solid advancement opportunity.

Cons

They care about two things: their new main branch going up near the Shadow Lake Towne Center and reaching a billion dollars in assets. The last 4 branch manager's that were fired were not replaced all because an error in accounting has led to panic by Senior Management. The most reactionary place I have ever worked, don't work or bank there.

Advice to Management

Monthly e-mails saying your employees are "your greatest asset" go nowhere when you spend more annually on resorts in Vermont than employee benefits.

Nepotism is the name of the game!

Current Employee - Teller in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Teller in Omaha, NE

I have been working at SAC Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were nice and fun. My branch manager was a great coach and she helped me decide it was best that I left SAC.

Cons

Unless you are friends with management or family friends with the DeBoer family, you will not get promoted… While I worked there a teller at the main branch made mistake after mistake but was not disciplined as she was dating a member of the Deboer family. However as soon as they broke up she was fired within two weeks. This type of favoritism goes on a lot and it makes it a very difficult place to work.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote people based on their experience and skill not their relationships.

RSS Feed </> Embed