SAGE Dining Services

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paco Rodriguez

Great Company, a few small flaws....but still a great company to work for.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsProactive sustainability efforts, focus of quality not quantity. Promote from within. Outstanding IT Department. Trendsetting. I've read a lot of negative reviews of this company and to those people I say "leave". if you're not happy...leave. I guarantee you will find that SAGE is far better than any of their competition.

ConsVery little autonomy. Nearly every decision that could be made at the manager or DM level is required to go through general counsel. Inconsistent with company policy for certain groups of people.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more trust in the managers in the field. Home office seemed to dictate a lot from the office without thoroughly knowing or meeting the needs of the ground level managers. The recent hiring of a Chief Operating Officer will most likely change this.

Well organized learning experience

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSAGE is very well organized with terrific support systems in place

ConsDealing with the politics involved within private schools

Advice to Senior ManagementCould use a little better communication with employees

Another incompetent corporate food service company

Cook (Former Employee) Stony Brook, NY

ProsNice salary, plenty of down time since I worked at a school, make a big mistake-you'll be promoted

ConsIncompetent managers, poor food quality, idiotic recipe system, unsanitary working conditions, chef's that have no experience

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. Out of sight....out of mind.

You promoted a manager that cussed at the students and a cook that had no experience and fouled up the most important party of the school year. Way to go!!

The kitchen was dirty, disorganized and if the Health Department walked in they would have had may critical violations. And the kitchen was new!!!

BTW, cream of broccoli soup isn't supposed to be BROWN! Learn how to cook.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

they do not practice what they preach. Does this FOOD service company even have a corporate chef?

Prosthey provide uniforms, that's about it.

Consvery poor pay-I have worked for the company for almost 4 years and i make 16.00$p/hr as a chef.Health insurance is almost without value-coverage seems about equal to what you pay weekly to have it. They do NOT promote from within,several recent management positions filled from outside the company despite qualified candidates at my facility. They state they use no products from china, yet dozens of products we use are from china.

Advice to Senior Managementremember you are a FOOD service company.Hire and retain experienced chefs by paying them a wage comensurate with experience.Stop insulting your employees with this junk insurance, and offer a policy that actually provides some benefits. Practice what you preach-promote from within. I was not even interviewed for a position which i am qualified for even after notifying my District manager that i was interested.Hire a corporate executive chef. You need someone to manage FOOD service. Our recipes are mostly a joke

fun and enjoyed the people i was cooking for.

Prep Cook/Line Server (Former Employee) Marietta, GA

Prosbenifits, fun people and love cooking for people too

Consoff on weekends and holidays

Advice to Senior Managementnone

bad experiences with the manager of this account, also other reasons.

Kitchen Line Cook and Prep Cook (Former Employee) McLean, VA

Prosbad environment created by the manager of this account, no team work starting with the manager, no leadership, luck of knowledge in everyway by the manager, bad attitude by the manager against his employees. The worse environment I have ever work in my entire life.

Conslow wages, hard work, no benefits, bad management and on top of everything way too many days off in the summer and spring also for Christmas without pay. Also Paco Rodriguez does not know what is going on in his company because the managers and district managers also the vice-president they are the ones that are running the corporation for him and they don't tell him what is going on including Human resources are very bad too, like everybody else. While I was there 10 employees quit including me due to bad management SUCKS.

Advice to Senior Managementchange the manager of the account and district manager. This is at the Potomac school in Maclean Virginia

It was a great opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWell staff and good job hours

ConsIn you don't work when the school is out and you don't get payid

Advice to Senior Managementjust do your job

Former Food Service Director

Food Service Director (Former Employee)

ProsSchool schedule, opportunity for creativity

ConsMicromanagement, poor benefits for staff

Advice to Senior ManagementHire good people and let them do their jobs, stop making it so obvious that if you didn't grow up with someone in management you'll never get anywhere with SAGE

A great way to step foot in the culinary world.

Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsI learned a lot about the food industry through Sage. They kept me on my feet with all the rules and regulations of ServSafe. When it came to catering for even the smallest events, we made sure everything was perfect. The recipes were great tasting and easy to make. The way our account ran, made it easy for all customers to be happy with our product.

ConsThe benefits weren't exactly ideal. No maternity leave for hourly employes makes it hard to consider starting a family.

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy employees makes for happy customers.

Look Elsewhere

Home Office (Former Employee) Towson, MD

ProsRelaxed work environment
    Friendly team members
    Strong growth
    Free lunch every thursday
    Free beverages and the occasional sack of bagels and cream cheese

ConsHome office suffers from high turnover. Salaries are below average and the business strategy seems to mainly revolve around hiring inexperienced staff directly out of local colleges and universities. While the staff works hard and puts in many hours to help the company achieve success, efforts that go far above and beyond regular job duties are not always recognized and may go unrewarded. Little emphasis is placed on retaining experienced members of the team long-term.

Personnel issues are generally ignored unless they directly pertain to job performance. HR will not assist and tell you to handle things yourself.

Massive amounts of work will be assigned with no guidance from management provided surrounding priorities, project management, or expected delivery timeframes until things are needed right now. Unrealistic expectations for turnaround are implied but not vocalized to those involved in the project.

Budget money for projects is granted on an "as needed" basis; ie. there is no set budget, and one must ask for additional funds to cover any and every expense that arises in the course of business. This can make it difficult to function in certain business units where there are many ongoing and unplanned costs that will arise with regularity(equipment failures, etc). Expectations of expenditures in some areas could be described as inadequate and lacking a basis in reality. Management looks very negatively on any expenditure that will involve an on-going fee or lease, regardless of the increases in productivity the organization may realize as a direct result of the added equipment or services. Outdated equipment remains in use long beyond its service life resulting in sudden failures and inadequate performance.

Benefits are very weak. The health plan options are either prohibitively expensive but excellent, or extremely cheap and lacking any real value. Substantially cheaper middle of the road options (standard HMO with $20 deductible) are obtainable by working directly with an insurer.

Office environment was consistently way too cold in the winter or way too hot in the summer. Employee comfort is of little concern. Space heaters are a requirment during the winter months and fans a requirement in the summer in order to stay comfortable. Breakdowns of heating and cooling equipment were common.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your staff to manage a budget without running the place into the ground. Too much emphasis is placed on reducing overhead, often times to the detriment of those working under you. Believe in your employees to have the company's best interest at heart. Be willing to assume calculated risks and reap greater returns. Take good care of your employees and they will take good care of you.

Worked for SAGE Dining Services? Contribute to the Community!