SAGE Publications

Updated July 20, 2014
Updated July 20, 2014
3.2

Blaise R. Simqu

With ambition and patience - you can go far.

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at SAGE Publications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, great people. Overall, and from my perspective based on my professional interactions, the leadership is solid and committed for the long haul.

Cons

Sometimes SAGE managers adhere to very strict communication policies. They say there's an open door policy, but at times it feels like they expect everyone to "stay at their level" and communication can be stifled. Because SAGE is a smaller company, opportunities for advancement are generally few and far between. Depending on the job, you may have to change companies to obtain advancement.

Let employees have a way to share opinions. And if there is a more open forum, definitely act on the feedback given.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at SAGE Publications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great, friendly and professional environment to work at. The company offers top benefits including medical, dental, vision as well as professional help (therapy), if needed. The company also offers educational and gym reimbursements which I feel is a plus!

Cons

Sometimes managements misses the boat! By that I mean, the supervisors lack the ability to show appreciation on a job well done. Or, they fail to recognize the employees dedication when it's review time. Your HR department really lacks when it comes to returning phone calls.

Be aware of what the roles are between supervisors and employee. Recognize when an employee consistently exceeds your requirements and reward them monetarily. It's nice you offer a free lunch on Fridays but perhaps the employees would rather have a little more pocket money.

Looks Good on the Outside But a Mess on the Inside

I worked at SAGE Publications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company that is privately owned and sincerely cares about their employees.

Cons

Poor management with no sense of real leadership and can be spurious. The turn over in this company is so ridiculous. Overall, human resources needs to start over and hire real managers who know how to do their job. E-Books and Amazon.com will hinder the company's growth and their technology is not up to par with competitors.

Instead of being a boss, be a true leader that shows respect.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poorly managed, no work-life balance, constant re-organization

I have been working at SAGE Publications

Pros

The benefits are amazing. We get a free international trip every 5 years, and our health insurance is the best I've ever seen anywhere. We pay very little out of pocket for the highest level of health care. Great coworkers, family owned business

Cons

No stability, constant layoffs and reorganization, poorly managed, no work life balance, employees are not valued

The management at Sage's subsidiary, Corwin, is out-of-touch with its employees. Department structure and job roles are constantly shifting, work flow is poorly managed. Management is aware that employees are overloaded and burnt out, and we are told to "just hang in there". Everyone works long hours, skips lunch breaks, and still most deadlines are not met because of the unreasonable expectations. When our division doesn't meet goals, the CEO will publicly bash us at company meetings. Morale is low at Corwin. I don't recommend Corwin, but I do recommend Sage. The Sage culture overall is good, and the benefits are awesome.

Highly Disappointing

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at SAGE Publications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Poised to grow in declining publishing industry

Cons

Management non responsive and unclear in requests. More than happy to blame underlings for their clear mistakes and misrepresentations.

Learn to be responsive/do what you say you are going to do when you say you are going to do it. Not a week after you promise a response the next day. Not at 1-2am during week and weekends and expect response. Take a look with legal on your policies as you are no longer just a California employer and the laws of California do not apply to any other state and thus individuals should not be judged based on California laws of any kind.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at SAGE Publications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learn a whole lot about the company and academic publishing. Opportunity for full-time employment if you work through the 1 year internship. Free lunch and casual dress every friday.

Cons

very quiet (somewhat boring) work atmosphere. Everyone communicates through email even if you sit right next to each other. Management is a little strict..

SAGE is great all around!

I have been working at SAGE Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee centric company. Interested in moving forward and acquiring more companies. Great place to learn more and retire from. Family oriented and stable. Free lunch brought in every Friday and benefits are spectacular

Cons

Could be more efficient in some areas. Trying to add more cutting edge technologies.

Keep us on the cutting edge and Private

Stable work, but not pushing you to your limits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at SAGE Publications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable work and the company values keeping its employees around happy. Strong culture, great vision for the CEO. For those who are production oriented, it can be a very predictable in a good way. Many systems in place to manage workflow, and you have ample opportunity to lean on your colleagues when you need help. Tons of learning seminars and opportunities to learn more about the industry, the company itself, basic software functions, and even self-improve on work traits. Free lunches on Fridays are a favorite among the staff and the company believes in bonuses and rewarding its employees with occasional fun events even when business is down. Generally a positive place to work and located in an area that's nice to raise a family if you don't mind living out in Ventura County.

Cons

For those who are not production oriented and perhaps require more creativity and variety, you can get bored. Some departments have a passive aggressive culture that stems from attitudes like "This is how we've always done it" and "You need to do your time in order to get respect around here." It's not usually stated so frankly, but a little digging beneath the surface and that's how some people treat newer employees. There is sometimes also a perception that "new" equals "more work" and that can impede creativity and innovation when individuals cross-functional teams want to rest on the laurels of "what they did last year."

Be more employee-focused when it comes to career development. Be wary of roles that lock your employees into a career corner. Squash the "...but we did it last year" mentality and the "...you need to do your time" subtle attitude that lingers in some departments. Don't make aggressive company acquisitions unless you are positive you can reach your revenue goals in worst-case environment scenarios.

Financial Analyst

I worked at SAGE Publications full-time

Pros

good benefits and company wide culture

Cons

bad management and work environment in Finance Departtment

Poor work-life balance, too much re-organization, lack of innovation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at SAGE Publications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Sage is known for offering good salaries and terrific benefits. The Thousand Oaks office is in a nice neighborhood in Southern California. There is a lot of global collaboration. Colleagues are nice to work with. IT and systems are very good. The content they publish is excellent!

Cons

The company had grown very fast in the last several years and has become very corporate and has lost the family feel it used to have. The senior management team needs to take more risks. There is a lot of nepotism and favoritism. The CEO's family members are in director-level positions and members of HR are related to the owner. The UK office is much more intellectual and innovative than the US office. The company has a serious pace issue--people at all levels are overworked and are fearful of saying anything. An internal climate survey was conducted by C-level management that showed pace was a key issue, but nothing has been done to help the situation. Many employees have gone on "mediical leave" related to stress and pressure. The marketing strategies are outdated and they continue to do the same things over and over, year after year. The website is the same as it was in 2005! The Corwin imprint continues a decline in sales yet they continue to invest it in it which takes away from expenses that could go toward other things. HR is very slow.

Take more risks. Don't promote managers to senior level positions if those managers have had a lot of complaints about them in the past.

Worked for SAGE Publications? Contribute to the Community!