SAGE Publications Reviews

Blaise R. Simqu

1. Learning, Growth, and Experience

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at SAGE Publications as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

One on One feedback, people wanting you to succeed

Cons

Nothing I would change- amazing learning experience

2. Overall, the good outweighs the bad

I have been working at SAGE Publications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

salaries and bonuses are generous. Great company events such as the Christmas party and the summer picnic. Lots of fun, interesting people. Good training classes and opportunities for learning and growing.

Cons

Some of the people who have been promoted into management are not always inspiring. They tend to promote micro-managers and then upper management stands behind them no matter what. It eventually drives good employees away. They also have a strange habit of firing talented people for what seems like no reason and announcing that so and so is gone as of today and this is who we are replacing them with (often a friend or favorite of the manager). This has lead to poor morale and a feeling of paranoia among the remaining staff. The Marketing department is also very cliquey. At a marketing/editorial dinner this year, where the two staffs are supposed to get to know each other, a high level Marketing person was observed saving seats so that all the marketing managers would be seated together, thus limiting interaction with the editors. Very strange.

Before promoting someone into management, check with the HR department to see if there are any complaints about them first. Make sure that the manager is providing inspiring leadership to their staff. This can be done through anonymous 360 assessments, or more informally, by taking staff members to lunch once in awhile. Discourage upper management from becoming too friendly and having crushes on the people who report to them. Hopefully this will prevent them from defending them blindly!

My experiences have been somewhat positive

I have been working at SAGE Publications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company as a whole tends to be employee focused. The benefits and perks are fantastic. More so than any other company I've worked for.

Cons

Most of the people tend to be very passive-aggressive regarding behavior and communications.

Embrace direct communication. Focus more on what customers want and are asking for rather than advancing your own personal agendas.

5. With ambition and patience - you can go far.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at SAGE Publications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, great people. Overall, and from my perspective based on my professional interactions, the leadership is solid and committed for the long haul.

Cons

Sometimes SAGE managers adhere to very strict communication policies. They say there's an open door policy, but at times it feels like they expect everyone to "stay at their level" and communication can be stifled. Because SAGE is a smaller company, opportunities for advancement are generally few and far between. Depending on the job, you may have to change companies to obtain advancement.

Let employees have a way to share opinions. And if there is a more open forum, definitely act on the feedback given.

Looks Good on the Outside But a Mess on the Inside

I worked at SAGE Publications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company that is privately owned and sincerely cares about their employees.

Cons

Poor management with no sense of real leadership and can be spurious. The turn over in this company is so ridiculous. Overall, human resources needs to start over and hire real managers who know how to do their job. E-Books and Amazon.com will hinder the company's growth and their technology is not up to par with competitors.

Instead of being a boss, be a true leader that shows respect.

Poorly managed, no work-life balance, constant re-organization

I have been working at SAGE Publications

Pros

The benefits are amazing. We get a free international trip every 5 years, and our health insurance is the best I've ever seen anywhere. We pay very little out of pocket for the highest level of health care. Great coworkers, family owned business

Cons

No stability, constant layoffs and reorganization, poorly managed, no work life balance, employees are not valued

The management at Sage's subsidiary, Corwin, is out-of-touch with its employees. Department structure and job roles are constantly shifting, work flow is poorly managed. Management is aware that employees are overloaded and burnt out, and we are told to "just hang in there". Everyone works long hours, skips lunch breaks, and still most deadlines are not met because of the unreasonable expectations. When our division doesn't meet goals, the CEO will publicly bash us at company meetings. Morale is low at Corwin. I don't recommend Corwin, but I do recommend Sage. The Sage culture overall is good, and the benefits are awesome.

8. Highly Disappointing

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at SAGE Publications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Poised to grow in declining publishing industry

Cons

Management non responsive and unclear in requests. More than happy to blame underlings for their clear mistakes and misrepresentations.

Learn to be responsive/do what you say you are going to do when you say you are going to do it. Not a week after you promise a response the next day. Not at 1-2am during week and weekends and expect response. Take a look with legal on your policies as you are no longer just a California employer and the laws of California do not apply to any other state and thus individuals should not be judged based on California laws of any kind.

9. Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at SAGE Publications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learn a whole lot about the company and academic publishing. Opportunity for full-time employment if you work through the 1 year internship. Free lunch and casual dress every friday.

Cons

very quiet (somewhat boring) work atmosphere. Everyone communicates through email even if you sit right next to each other. Management is a little strict..

10. SAGE is great all around!

I have been working at SAGE Publications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee centric company. Interested in moving forward and acquiring more companies. Great place to learn more and retire from. Family oriented and stable. Free lunch brought in every Friday and benefits are spectacular

Cons

Could be more efficient in some areas. Trying to add more cutting edge technologies.

Keep us on the cutting edge and Private

Stable work, but not pushing you to your limits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at SAGE Publications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable work and the company values keeping its employees around happy. Strong culture, great vision for the CEO. For those who are production oriented, it can be a very predictable in a good way. Many systems in place to manage workflow, and you have ample opportunity to lean on your colleagues when you need help. Tons of learning seminars and opportunities to learn more about the industry, the company itself, basic software functions, and even self-improve on work traits. Free lunches on Fridays are a favorite among the staff and the company believes in bonuses and rewarding its employees with occasional fun events even when business is down. Generally a positive place to work and located in an area that's nice to raise a family if you don't mind living out in Ventura County.

Cons

For those who are not production oriented and perhaps require more creativity and variety, you can get bored. Some departments have a passive aggressive culture that stems from attitudes like "This is how we've always done it" and "You need to do your time in order to get respect around here." It's not usually stated so frankly, but a little digging beneath the surface and that's how some people treat newer employees. There is sometimes also a perception that "new" equals "more work" and that can impede creativity and innovation when individuals cross-functional teams want to rest on the laurels of "what they did last year."

Be more employee-focused when it comes to career development. Be wary of roles that lock your employees into a career corner. Squash the "...but we did it last year" mentality and the "...you need to do your time" subtle attitude that lingers in some departments. Don't make aggressive company acquisitions unless you are positive you can reach your revenue goals in worst-case environment scenarios.