SAIC Reviews in Alexandria, VA

3.5
1,138 Reviews

SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco
Anthony Moraco

Pros
  • Work life balance good / Not Micro Managed unless your not meeting deadlines (in 50 reviews)

• Good benefits and lots of opportunities to expand your skill set (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't know (or is not saying) what they see for the future for SAIC (in 35 reviews)

• No loyalty from senior management as to long-term, mid-level employees (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I was treated like crap

Current Employee - Business Development in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

I was recruited to SAIC from my military career. They promised me two years of employment in BD as I developed the market. Two months into the job, the company split and my position was eliminated and I was moved into a new division. They kept me around out of sympathy. I was laid off after 11 months. Lay off was over the phone. They never told me during recruiting that a split was impemding. They basically lied to this 22 year military veteran. They withheld that information. While working there, I found blatent lying and a culture of sucking up. I think this was only in he division I was transferred to. Perhaps the rest of the company is OK.

SAIC is about average.

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Standard compensations.
    Good work environment.
    Work is very rewarding.

Cons

Company will let you go when you're usefulness and/or contract are over.
    No real help finding other positions within company.
    Company not interested in holding on to experienced and good people.

Appreciate your employees and be honest with them.
    When you have experienced people, do all you can to hold onto them.

Mixed bag ... depends on which group you work under

Former Employee - Senior Database Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Database Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the time I worked for them (2004-2005)...the benefits were very good as well as the compensation. Best orientation and on-boarding I've ever seen.

Cons

Mismanaged subcontract led to subcontractor growing her own company and ousting SAIC. SAIC let the subcontractor manage the SAIC contract.

Work on making employees who work client-site actually feel incorporated with SAIC.

Great team

Former Employee - Business Process Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Business Process Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

project team, policies and processes

Cons

Difficult customer, PM was unrealistic

Company has a good reputation, never really heard anything negative said about it.

Current Employee - DCGS-A Mentor/Trainer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - DCGS-A Mentor/Trainer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Like I said above the company does have a good reputation along with good benefits. Since the company is a mid size company there are always lots of jobs that you can move within the company.

Cons

Good or poor management is all relative to the division that you are in. My job doesn't really have very many options for advancement or working outside of a combat zone, so once the contract is done then we will all be forced to look for work. The biggest complaint that I have is that I was burned on my tuition reimbursement. The company approved me for reimbursement since the claim to be fully supportive of getting a higher level education, knowing that I was going to be on a leave of absence. Later claiming that they could not give me the tuition reimbursement because I was on a LOA status. The policy is extremely vague.

Not a bad place but depends on your contract.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Good salary, very flexible hours.

Cons

Working at the Towers is the best way to advance. Away from the Towers you aren't visible for advancement.

Advance younger people more willing to work hard than older employees who advance just there because of their past military/government success.

Leadership style

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Most managers are good people.

Cons

If one does get a bad manager, the leadership is unwilling to do what's necessary to correct the situation .

It's important to be fair to the employees instead of just covering for the "managers" who may not be performing the tasks that are best for the team.

SAIC is for you if you are looking to have a stable job where you gain satisfaction through your performance.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Its always been a stable company. During my tenor when the market was down SAI stock was up or stable. There is plenty of work and the company continues to grow. Senior management have a keen since as to what the future holds and how the company can continue to remain competitive.

Cons

Sometimes there is more work than available resources so it is not uncommon to work extra unpaid hours. There is not alot of team building experiences.

Improve the onboarding process. Open the doors for members that hold a Secret clearance to seek Jobs with TS or greater. Open channels of communication between engineers in different divisions/groups etc. I guarantee there are duplicate efforts being performed throughout the company and lessons learned that could be shared.

Great company to work for if you liked military life.

Former Employee - Senior Intelligence Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Intelligence Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC

Pros

SAIC provides work on contracts that are difficult to find anywhere else. The work is always interesting, meaningful and rewarding. Some of the best people in their respective fields work for the company and it is always a pleasure to work with these types of highly skilled people.

Cons

Senior Management is often grossly out of touch with employee morale as well as how to effectively manage employees and their interrelationships. Employees often have to fend for themselves and form cliques in order to survive and advance. Thus advancement is often a function of popularity vs. job performance. Employees are often treated as functional cogs in a machine instead of people.

Senior management is often hired out of the officer corp of the military and have little knowledge or understanding of the corporate world and of skills based jobs (vs. managerial jobs). Opportunities to move into the management ranks are most often limited to those employees who were prior officers even when other, more qualified candidates exist. This creates a "para-military" mindset in the company that is at best ignorant of the employees and at worst destructive and cancerous within the employee ranks.

Think a little outside the box of the training provided the military officer corps and try to run a business instead.

Started as an intern then worked full time for 2 years experience at SAIC

Former Employee - Software Developer in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Patient management and teams that are willing to work with employees to increase their skill base
    -Got to work on a wide array of different projects while learning different software and systems
    -Free coffee in kitchens
    -Good size teams that are able to support their members
    -Decent length of contracts so you have enough time to get things done right

Cons

-Like most places some managers could be bad and would either micro manage or neglect aspects of a project
    -Salary could have been better
    -Interns are under utilized until they start full time work.
    -One project I worked on had too much complexity in it's architecture and had a stagnant atmosphere

-Interns want more real world work and can do more for the company than you normally realize.