SAIC Reviews

Unqualified Management & Extremely High Turnover Rate

Current Employee - Project Manager/ScrumMaster in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager/ScrumMaster in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Team members are extremely talented, qualified and work very well together to product high quality work and meet deadlines. SAIC has a good benefits package which includes free training and development resources.

Cons

Management was not qualified and did not support project teams especially as it pertained to ensuring that scope creep was minimized. Management also allowed the customer to dictate how the development team worked which resulted in working more hours and an extremely high turnover rate. SAIC also has very poor retention efforts to retain employees, once their contract has ended. Managers also fails to keep team members updated about contract end dates and future work. Managers ignore all requests for this type of information which puts employees and contractors at risk for being unemployed.

Please invest more time in personal and professional development efforts and refrain from any attempts to yell at employees and contractors because you failed to do your understand how to correctly do your job.

I was treated like crap

Current Employee - Business Development in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

I was recruited to SAIC from my military career. They promised me two years of employment in BD as I developed the market. Two months into the job, the company split and my position was eliminated and I was moved into a new division. They kept me around out of sympathy. I was laid off after 11 months. Lay off was over the phone. They never told me during recruiting that a split was impemding. They basically lied to this 22 year military veteran. They withheld that information. While working there, I found blatent lying and a culture of sucking up. I think this was only in he division I was transferred to. Perhaps the rest of the company is OK.

3. Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC

Pros

Family kind environment at some levels

Cons

cut throath managers for now Leidos

stop looking at the numbers only and start thinking long term

5. SAIC is about average.

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Standard compensations.
    Good work environment.
    Work is very rewarding.

Cons

Company will let you go when you're usefulness and/or contract are over.
    No real help finding other positions within company.
    Company not interested in holding on to experienced and good people.

Appreciate your employees and be honest with them.
    When you have experienced people, do all you can to hold onto them.

6. Mixed bag ... depends on which group you work under

Former Employee - Senior Database Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Database Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

At the time I worked for them (2004-2005)...the benefits were very good as well as the compensation. Best orientation and on-boarding I've ever seen.

Cons

Mismanaged subcontract led to subcontractor growing her own company and ousting SAIC. SAIC let the subcontractor manage the SAIC contract.

Work on making employees who work client-site actually feel incorporated with SAIC.

7. Great team

Former Employee - Business Process Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Business Process Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

project team, policies and processes

Cons

Difficult customer, PM was unrealistic

Company has a good reputation, never really heard anything negative said about it.

Current Contractor - DCGS-A Mentor/Trainer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Contractor - DCGS-A Mentor/Trainer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Like I said above the company does have a good reputation along with good benefits. Since the company is a mid size company there are always lots of jobs that you can move within the company.

Cons

Good or poor management is all relative to the division that you are in. My job doesn't really have very many options for advancement or working outside of a combat zone, so once the contract is done then we will all be forced to look for work. The biggest complaint that I have is that I was burned on my tuition reimbursement. The company approved me for reimbursement since the claim to be fully supportive of getting a higher level education, knowing that I was going to be on a leave of absence. Later claiming that they could not give me the tuition reimbursement because I was on a LOA status. The policy is extremely vague.

9. Not a bad place but depends on your contract.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Good salary, very flexible hours.

Cons

Working at the Towers is the best way to advance. Away from the Towers you aren't visible for advancement.

Advance younger people more willing to work hard than older employees who advance just there because of their past military/government success.

10. Leadership style

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Most managers are good people.

Cons

If one does get a bad manager, the leadership is unwilling to do what's necessary to correct the situation .

It's important to be fair to the employees instead of just covering for the "managers" who may not be performing the tasks that are best for the team.

11. SAIC is for you if you are looking to have a stable job where you gain satisfaction through your performance.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Its always been a stable company. During my tenor when the market was down SAI stock was up or stable. There is plenty of work and the company continues to grow. Senior management have a keen since as to what the future holds and how the company can continue to remain competitive.

Cons

Sometimes there is more work than available resources so it is not uncommon to work extra unpaid hours. There is not alot of team building experiences.

Improve the onboarding process. Open the doors for members that hold a Secret clearance to seek Jobs with TS or greater. Open channels of communication between engineers in different divisions/groups etc. I guarantee there are duplicate efforts being performed throughout the company and lessons learned that could be shared.