SAIC Reviews

Reset
1.8
SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco
Anthony Moraco

Pros
  • Work life balance good / Not Micro Managed unless your not meeting deadlines (in 50 reviews)

• Good benefits and great Senior Management support (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting information frm upper management to do the job properly (in 36 reviews)

• No loyalty from senior management as to long-term, mid-level employees (in 33 reviews)

I was treated like crap

Current Employee - Business Development in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

I was recruited to SAIC from my military career. They promised me two years of employment in BD as I developed the market. Two months into the job, the company split and my position was eliminated and I was moved into a new division. They kept me around out of sympathy. I was laid off after 11 months. Lay off was over the phone. They never told me during recruiting that a split was impemding. They basically lied to this 22 year military veteran. They withheld that information. While working there, I found blatent lying and a culture of sucking up. I think this was only in he division I was transferred to. Perhaps the rest of the company is OK.

Unqualified Management & Extremely High Turnover Rate

Current Employee - Project Manager/ScrumMaster in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager/ScrumMaster in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team members are extremely talented, qualified and work very well together to product high quality work and meet deadlines. SAIC has a good benefits package which includes free training and development resources.

Cons

Management was not qualified and did not support project teams especially as it pertained to ensuring that scope creep was minimized. Management also allowed the customer to dictate how the development team worked which resulted in working more hours and an extremely high turnover rate. SAIC also has very poor retention efforts to retain employees, once their contract has ended. Managers also fails to keep team members updated about contract end dates and future work. Managers ignore all requests for this type of information which puts employees and contractors at risk for being unemployed.

Advice to Management

Please invest more time in personal and professional development efforts and refrain from any attempts to yell at employees and contractors because you failed to do your understand how to correctly do your job.

Lack of Integrity

Former Employee - Senior Analyst/Business Development in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst/Business Development in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time

Pros

I have nothing good to say.

Cons

Company managers are liars and incompetent. They only care about being low-cost. No training. No communication, except when they want something.

Advice to Management

Treat people like humans

Great company to work for if you liked military life.

Former Employee - Senior Intelligence Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Intelligence Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC

Pros

SAIC provides work on contracts that are difficult to find anywhere else. The work is always interesting, meaningful and rewarding. Some of the best people in their respective fields work for the company and it is always a pleasure to work with these types of highly skilled people.

Cons

Senior Management is often grossly out of touch with employee morale as well as how to effectively manage employees and their interrelationships. Employees often have to fend for themselves and form cliques in order to survive and advance. Thus advancement is often a function of popularity vs. job performance. Employees are often treated as functional cogs in a machine instead of people. Senior management is often hired out of the officer corp of the military and have little knowledge or understanding of the corporate world and of skills based jobs (vs. managerial jobs). Opportunities to move into the management ranks are most often limited to those employees who were prior officers even when other, more qualified candidates exist. This creates a "para-military" mindset in the company that is at best ignorant of the employees and at worst destructive and cancerous within the employee ranks.

Advice to Management

Think a little outside the box of the training provided the military officer corps and try to run a business instead.

6. SAIC is for you if you are looking to have a stable job where you gain satisfaction through your performance.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Its always been a stable company. During my tenor when the market was down SAI stock was up or stable. There is plenty of work and the company continues to grow. Senior management have a keen since as to what the future holds and how the company can continue to remain competitive.

Cons

Sometimes there is more work than available resources so it is not uncommon to work extra unpaid hours. There is not alot of team building experiences.

Advice to Management

Improve the onboarding process. Open the doors for members that hold a Secret clearance to seek Jobs with TS or greater. Open channels of communication between engineers in different divisions/groups etc. I guarantee there are duplicate efforts being performed throughout the company and lessons learned that could be shared.

7. Leadership style

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Most managers are good people.

Cons

If one does get a bad manager, the leadership is unwilling to do what's necessary to correct the situation .

Advice to Management

It's important to be fair to the employees instead of just covering for the "managers" who may not be performing the tasks that are best for the team.

8. Not a bad place but depends on your contract.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Good salary, very flexible hours.

Cons

Working at the Towers is the best way to advance. Away from the Towers you aren't visible for advancement.

Advice to Management

Advance younger people more willing to work hard than older employees who advance just there because of their past military/government success.

Company has a good reputation, never really heard anything negative said about it.

Current Contractor - DCGS-A Mentor/Trainer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Contractor - DCGS-A Mentor/Trainer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Like I said above the company does have a good reputation along with good benefits. Since the company is a mid size company there are always lots of jobs that you can move within the company.

Cons

Good or poor management is all relative to the division that you are in. My job doesn't really have very many options for advancement or working outside of a combat zone, so once the contract is done then we will all be forced to look for work. The biggest complaint that I have is that I was burned on my tuition reimbursement. The company approved me for reimbursement since the claim to be fully supportive of getting a higher level education, knowing that I was going to be on a leave of absence. Later claiming that they could not give me the tuition reimbursement because I was on a LOA status. The policy is extremely vague.

10. Great team

Former Employee - Business Process Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Business Process Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

project team, policies and processes

Cons

Difficult customer, PM was unrealistic

11. Mixed bag ... depends on which group you work under

Former Employee - Senior Database Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Database Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the time I worked for them (2004-2005)...the benefits were very good as well as the compensation. Best orientation and on-boarding I've ever seen.

Cons

Mismanaged subcontract led to subcontractor growing her own company and ousting SAIC. SAIC let the subcontractor manage the SAIC contract.

Advice to Management

Work on making employees who work client-site actually feel incorporated with SAIC.

Showing 22 of 1,341 reviews