SAIC

SAIC Reviews in Alexandria, VA

Updated Apr 4, 2014

SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco

Anthony Moraco

Pros
  • Work life balance good / Not Micro Managed unless your not meeting deadlines(in 47 reviews)

• Like I said above the company does have a good reputation along with good benefits(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little loyalty from senior management to long-term, mid-level employees(in 33 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't know (or is not saying) what they see for the future for SAIC(in 32 reviews)

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall a very positive experience. Lay-off process needs to be addressed as well as internal transfers.

Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsExcellent benefits. Family friendly. Time off as needed was never an issue. Lower management looked out for their people as best they could.

ConsPoor communication between management and employees. Career path is convoluted at best. Told several times if I received a particular certification it would boost my career only to have the position taken away and given to a new hire. Highly driven by profit margins.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in touch with your people.

Java Developer at SAIC INc

Java Developer (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsGreat place to gain experience working on various software technologies. They let you get your hands dirty and give you great exposure

ConsTechnologies on some projects are old and all I was promised as benefits where not really fulfilled to me.

SAIC Review

Configuration Manager (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsManagement and employees were outstanding. Benefits were good.

ConsNo training and let go when contract ends.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold on to good people... they are hard to find!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was treated like crap

Business Development (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsAbility to work from home

ConsI was recruited to SAIC from my military career. They promised me two years of employment in BD as I developed the market. Two months into the job, the company split and my position was eliminated and I was moved into a new division. They kept me around out of sympathy. I was laid off after 11 months. Lay off was over the phone. They never told me during recruiting that a split was impemding. They basically lied to this 22 year military veteran. They withheld that information. While working there, I found blatent lying and a culture of sucking up. I think this was only in he division I was transferred to. Perhaps the rest of the company is OK.

SAIC is about average.

Test Engineer (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsStandard compensations.
    Good work environment.
    Work is very rewarding.

ConsCompany will let you go when you're usefulness and/or contract are over.
    No real help finding other positions within company.
    Company not interested in holding on to experienced and good people.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees and be honest with them.
    When you have experienced people, do all you can to hold onto them.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Mixed bag ... depends on which group you work under

Senior Database Analyst (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsAt the time I worked for them (2004-2005)...the benefits were very good as well as the compensation. Best orientation and on-boarding I've ever seen.

ConsMismanaged subcontract led to subcontractor growing her own company and ousting SAIC. SAIC let the subcontractor manage the SAIC contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on making employees who work client-site actually feel incorporated with SAIC.

Great team

Business Process Manager (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

Prosproject team, policies and processes

ConsDifficult customer, PM was unrealistic

Company has a good reputation, never really heard anything negative said about it.

DCGS-A Mentor/Trainer (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsLike I said above the company does have a good reputation along with good benefits. Since the company is a mid size company there are always lots of jobs that you can move within the company.

ConsGood or poor management is all relative to the division that you are in. My job doesn't really have very many options for advancement or working outside of a combat zone, so once the contract is done then we will all be forced to look for work. The biggest complaint that I have is that I was burned on my tuition reimbursement. The company approved me for reimbursement since the claim to be fully supportive of getting a higher level education, knowing that I was going to be on a leave of absence. Later claiming that they could not give me the tuition reimbursement because I was on a LOA status. The policy is extremely vague.

Flexible workplace, salary not so good for younger workers

Java Developer (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsVery flexible work place (this is really up to my division - not the company as a whole).
    Good benefits.

ConsPoor salaries for newer / younger employees. Times were much better in the years before the company went public, and the raises the older workers got were MUCH higher. Therefore, there is now a de-facto two-tier pay system - one for those there before the company went public, and one for those who began their career afterwards. The older employers make a good 30% premium all other things remaining equal.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart working on removing some of the dead weight in middle management and the large amount of poor performers who've been feeding at the trough since 911 bonanza began ten years ago. Many of these workers do not carry their weight, and are becoming a burden on those that perform.

SAIC (and all the other big miliatary / government contractors) are going to run into trouble as the technical talent moves to smaller / younger companies where they're not required to subsidize the large salaries and expensive health bennies of the older workers.

Military Jobs in DC

Engineer (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsFlexible work environment, and a little less cutthroat than the private sector.

Consa lot of incompetent employees that float by because of high security clearances.

Advice to Senior Managementquit tossing developers aside when projects are put on hold, only to have to retrain someone the next month when it starts again.

Worked for SAIC? Contribute to the Community!