SAIC

SAIC Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco

Anthony Moraco

Pros:
  • "Work life balance good / Not Micro Managed unless your not meeting deadlines"
    in 43 reviews
  • "Like I said above the company does have a good reputation along with good benefits"
    in 56 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very little loyalty from senior management to long-term, mid-level employees"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Upper management doesn't know (or is not saying) what they see for the future for SAIC"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Working for SAIC

Project Control Analyst III (Former Employee)
Mc Lean, IL

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Benefits, relationship with other departments was great, the team I was working with was excellent, first line managers were great

ConsNo career advancement, hard to get promotion, no training available, too much bureaucracy, benefits were getting worse from year to year

Overall, experienced pleasant mobility within the Contract; with required skills, able to easily advance.

Salaried Employee (Former Employee)
Falls Church, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOnly worked on one Contract for over 10 years. Great atmosphere in the company prior to the split in September 2013. The personnel in our location were awesome; family-like. Some managers helped their employees; communicating news about the way ahead. Training was abundant at the start of the Contract; lesser later on due to budget restraints.

ConsTop management and some mid-level managers did not keep their personnel informed of items pertaining to the company nor the Contract. Job opportunities used to be ample but not so anymore, due to the company split. Now, only minimul opportunities for those leaving Contracts. The company is only hiring the new generation, it seems.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, due to the splitting of the company, managers were downsized; comapny is still standing up. For future managers, the company motto should be 'we keep our employees informed'.

A rapidly changing company

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMy best reasons for working at SAIC are my colleagues, including my immediate managers. Even when working on separate projects, we help each other out as best as we can. At least in the part of the company where I work, there is an atmosphere of trust, support, and respect. We look out for each other.

ConsSAIC is the smaller of the two companies resulting from the split of "old SAIC" into SAIC and Leidos on October 1, 2013. A "matrix" reorganization has created annoyances at the working level and may have made us less nimble, not more. The business environment is increasingly constrained. Upper management is looking for all sorts of ways to cut costs, which is imposing burdens on employees. The customers are spending less on contracts, so raises and bonuses are increasingly scarce. (The quality of benefits fell sharply a couple of years ago, before the split, and is holding steady lately.) The company is not committed to anyone who isn't covered full-time -- an unpredictable condition in a time of sequestration and occasional government shutdowns. SAIC no longer offers the opportunities it once did.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, you have little to sell but your employees' time, so take care of your employees before those with choices go away. Second, give your organizations the leeway to invest in business development before they run out of work to do. Third, if looking after the interests of shareholders is preventing you from doing either of the above, take the company private as soon as you can.

Best, Better, Good, Average, What's next?

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than a year

ProsGood talented people to work with.

ConsDisappearing health insurance, disappearing 401K, smaller raises, and shrinking or no bonuses are a cause for alarm not only in this company but in this industry. It seems to be a race to see who can get rid of any overhead that benefits employees the fastest. Eventually I will move to a smaller company where many of my co-workers are headed

Advice to Senior Management"SAIC values its employees" has become a hollow statement and "SAIC needs to cut back to remain competitive" is now the mantra. When the best and brightest end up working for the subcontractors I will join them.

Solid Internship

Intern (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at SAIC as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat work culture, lots of trust and responsibility placed in interns, open to ambitious ideas and initiatives, very generous summer conference for interns

ConsShrinking projects in non-science/engineering, gargantuan corporate decision-making processes

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on providing a clear career path to interns, and not just an HR training session

A good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSAIC is a large, stable company. The benefits were good, although their compensation package was inferior compared to some of their smaller competitors (at least, in the sector I worked in). I rarely dealt with the company as 99.9% of the time, I worked for our customer at a different worksite. When I did have personnel issues, SAIC was always responsive and helpful.

ConsYearly evaluations were confusing and there was no uniformity at all. It was up to the employee to choose their yearly goals, therefore most employees set the lowest possible standards so that they could "exceed and excel" every year. My yearly evaluation was completely dependent on who my current supervisor was at the time. Most of the time, as I worked at the customer site on a different contract from my SAIC supervisor, they had little to no idea what I did on a day to day basis and therefore my yearly evaluations were vague and unhelpful. It would have been better had my SAIC supervisors been able to consult with my customer chain of command on my yearly performance.

Don't bench me, babe.....

Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAutonomous work environment, competitive salary.

ConsWhen the runs out, it's all over and placement (coverage) can be scarce. Did you get that in writing?

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee development is not a weakness, but rather a strength.

The only constant is change!!!

Senior Accountant (Former Employee)
Newport News, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeers - most of my peers were great, hard-working, fun-loving people. Bonuses were great.

ConsSince the company went public a few years ago, upper management has been running scared. Organizational changes take place every 6 months, if not more. The company moved the Corporate HQ from San Diego, CA to McLean, VA and started the process of splitting (now SAIC and Leidos) - all within one year - many good people, with greater than 15 years experience lost their jobs. Functional staffers lost jobs to cheaper "Service Center" workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with your organization structure and annual plan, for the duration of the year. It's impossible to know and enhance your performance, when adjustments to your organization are done by upper management, on a whim.

My contract was great for Senior People, challenging for Juniors

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SAIC as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsI worked as part of an IV&V (Independent Verification & Validation) software test team for a DHS project in downtown Washington, D.C. Although I was a sub-contractor, they never made me feel like an "outsider" and let me show my expertise without micro-managing. They gave me free reign to take care of the customer without wasting time with unnecessary status reports.

ConsMost of our crew were Senior Level engineers so a less-experienced person would have trouble adjusting since people were not available to baby-sit.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep winning more contracts.

Like minded

Imagery Analyst (Current Employee)
Lexington Park, MD

I have been working at SAIC full-time for less than a year

ProsProfessionalism, retired military, small team, great mission. I work in a new building that has lots of room and the entire place has wifi.

ConsI really don't have any complaints at this time. I arrived as the company was splitting into SAIC and Liedos, a few growing pains, nothing major.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour people give this company a good name, take care of them and they'll continue the great work everyone expects.

Worked for SAIC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SAIC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SAIC CEO Anthony Moraco. All 997 reviews posted anonymously by SAIC employees.