SAIC

3.3 1,052 reviews

SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco

Anthony Moraco

1,052 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work life balance good / Not Micro Managed unless your not meeting deadlines"
    in 47 reviews
  • "Like I said above the company does have a good reputation along with good benefits"
    in 57 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very little loyalty from senior management to long-term, mid-level employees"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Upper management doesn't know (or is not saying) what they see for the future for SAIC"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Job While I Had It.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Suffolk, VA

ProsIt was a great company to work for and I was blessed to work with good people who were capable at doing their jobs.

ConsInability to fight for their employees when it comes to contract negotiating, which caused my contract to get moved to another company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if they would go to bat for us when it's time to renewing contracts.

Some good, some bad.

ProsPaid well, interesting work up to a point.

ConsVery bureaucratic, not much focus on employee development. Taught just enough to do my job but not enough variety to make it interesting on an ongoing basis. Too much repetition.

Management only takes care of themselves and the stockholders

ProsOverall, good colleagues and work life balance.

ConsHigh cost of medical and dental, high deductibles. Depending on the manager, flex time may or may not be an option. 19 PTO for new hires only if you are at $150,000 or higher. Current employees got grandfathered at 19 PTO if under $150,000.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe know part of your bonus is tied to the stock price, and that is a factor why you favor buying back shares. Next time think of putting some of that cash towards employee salaries and invest in the company for a long term strategy.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard to Connect with Company Culture if Working Remote

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe work was good and most people were very professional. Pay in my case was good, as was the ability to work independently at client locations (may vary depending on management).

ConsIt was hard to be a part of the company. As a remote employee, I felt more like an independent contractor most of the time. As long as the client was paying, having me onboard was no big deal. Once funding ran out, no opportunities were available and I was terminated.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to understand the perspective of the everyday employee, who cares about doing good work and making a good living, not stock prices, company splits, and other corporate busywork. Understand that not everyone is gunning to make VP or CEO one day, reward us appropriately, and see how much better things get. You can't force a culture, but you can start to grow a good one.

A rapidly changing company

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsMy best reasons for working at SAIC are my colleagues, including my immediate managers. Even when working on separate projects, we help each other out as best as we can. At least in the part of the company where I work, there is an atmosphere of trust, support, and respect. We look out for each other.

ConsSAIC is the smaller of the two companies resulting from the split of "old SAIC" into SAIC and Leidos on October 1, 2013. A "matrix" reorganization has created annoyances at the working level and may have made us less nimble, not more. The business environment is increasingly constrained. Upper management is looking for all sorts of ways to cut costs, which is imposing burdens on employees. The customers are spending less on contracts, so raises and bonuses are increasingly scarce. (The quality of benefits fell sharply a couple of years ago, before the split, and is holding steady lately.) The company is not committed to anyone who isn't covered full-time -- an unpredictable condition in a time of sequestration and occasional government shutdowns. SAIC no longer offers the opportunities it once did.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, you have little to sell but your employees' time, so take care of your employees before those with choices go away. Second, give your organizations the leeway to invest in business development before they run out of work to do. Third, if looking after the interests of shareholders is preventing you from doing either of the above, take the company private as soon as you can.

Best, Better, Good, Average, What's next?

ProsGood talented people to work with.

ConsDisappearing health insurance, disappearing 401K, smaller raises, and shrinking or no bonuses are a cause for alarm not only in this company but in this industry. It seems to be a race to see who can get rid of any overhead that benefits employees the fastest. Eventually I will move to a smaller company where many of my co-workers are headed

Advice to Senior Management"SAIC values its employees" has become a hollow statement and "SAIC needs to cut back to remain competitive" is now the mantra. When the best and brightest end up working for the subcontractors I will join them.

Overall, experienced pleasant mobility within the Contract; with required skills, able to easily advance.

Salaried Employee (Former Employee)
    Falls Church, VA

ProsOnly worked on one Contract for over 10 years. Great atmosphere in the company prior to the split in September 2013. The personnel in our location were awesome; family-like. Some managers helped their employees; communicating news about the way ahead. Training was abundant at the start of the Contract; lesser later on due to budget restraints.

ConsTop management and some mid-level managers did not keep their personnel informed of items pertaining to the company nor the Contract. Job opportunities used to be ample but not so anymore, due to the company split. Now, only minimul opportunities for those leaving Contracts. The company is only hiring the new generation, it seems.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, due to the splitting of the company, managers were downsized; comapny is still standing up. For future managers, the company motto should be 'we keep our employees informed'.

Overall a very positive experience. Lay-off process needs to be addressed as well as internal transfers.

Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee)
    Alexandria, VA

ProsExcellent benefits. Family friendly. Time off as needed was never an issue. Lower management looked out for their people as best they could.

ConsPoor communication between management and employees. Career path is convoluted at best. Told several times if I received a particular certification it would boost my career only to have the position taken away and given to a new hire. Highly driven by profit margins.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in touch with your people.

Good place to work

Software Security Engineer (Current Employee)
    Huntsville, AL

ProsSAIC is a good place to work. Nothing spectacular about pay or benefits but the people you work with are top notch and many have been in the industry for a long time and eager to share their experience and knowledge. Local operations and business units are very good at keeping the work coming in and we keep the customers happy.

After the corporate split into SAIC and Leidos the corporate management seems eager to regain that something special that SAIC used to have when it was employee owned and before the founder retired.

ConsTop management has gone down hill since Dr Beyster left the CEO position and the company drifted towards being a typical defense contractor body shop. A series of weak CEOs seemed too eager to make us clone of everybody else. Too little investment in employees, too eager to trim costs. Seems to be turning around post split but the dust is still settling.

Great place to work!

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    O Fallon, IL

ProsGreat people at all levels, many opportunities to advance your career and move to other locations. Many chances to travel and help build new business. They take care of their people.

ConsMost everything is by contract unless you are at the corporate level. If you lose the rearward on a contract, they may not be able to find an opening for you.

Worked for SAIC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SAIC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SAIC CEO Anthony Moraco. All 1,052 reviews posted anonymously by SAIC employees.