SAIC-Frederick

Updated Feb 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Government contracting, unique challenges that don't exist in a company that has a bottom line.

I worked at SAIC-Frederick full-time for more than a year

ProsMy networking team was great. Good people who wanted to improve the environment.

ConsI was surrounded by contractors who fought progress every step of the way. Government employees on egotistical power trips, end of year spending, etc. If you have progressive ideas, do not work for the government. This is not a reflection on SAIC, it is NCI Frederick that fostered this ridiculous environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wouldn't even know where to start.

For the most part a rewarding time spent here. Much interesting research.

Associate Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at SAIC-Frederick full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLocal. No commuting required. Government contractor, so follows government regulations and get general government style benefits. Because it is local and basic science, the opportunity for flex scheduling is great, and was excellent while my children were young. If you open your eyes and take advantage, there is a lot to be learned.

ConsNo bonus structure per se. No real career advancement system. While the good old boy network is fading, not much is effectively taking its place in a managerial way, ie there is still too much lower level cronyism and not enough good use of labor. That is optimal use of labor and skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget the forest for a day or two and take a good look at the trees.

good place to work

I worked at SAIC-Frederick full-time for more than 8 years

Prosinteresting projects with reasonably salary schedules. Middle management usually friendly but without much power to make things better.

Consdiscoveries and other advances are typically not owned by the SAIC employee as the contract typically puts nih staff in the driver's seat with these issues

Advice to Senior Managementemployees are the most valuable part of the company

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incest breeds....

Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee)

I worked at SAIC-Frederick full-time for more than a year

ProsA paycheck? Health insurance too.

ConsNo raises.
Very Cliquish, if not part of the in group, raises and advancements are virtually impossible.
No future for support staff.
Many of the lower management are related and/or went to school together. Very incestuous.
Health insurance premiums are very high

Advice to Senior ManagementTry caring, or even just showing a grain of interest in your employees.

A great company turned bad very rapidly because of incompetent new magagements

Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at SAIC-Frederick full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat resources to do great work.
Great scientific knowledge base.
Good but not great benefits

ConsTop heavy with minimal scientific background and NO interactions with bench scientists.
No chance for professional growth at all unless you are a YES man/woman.
No or very low annual raises. No raise for last 3 yrs.
Ever since the CEO left couple of years ago, the company went downhill very rapidly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to become employee friendly.
You still have a number very knowledgeable scientists left with more years to contribute.
Everyone is afraid to talk freely because of your "bully" attitude.

A Place to Work

I have been working at SAIC-Frederick full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood Benefits. HR department will go the extra mile to process Visas.

ConsHR Department is non responsive. The work environment has become a political battle. Reduction in Force has required the people that care to work double, while others have nothing to do. The company has changed drastically since they went from employee owned to publicly owned.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage your people and hold them accountable!

No raises, no praises, and no plan

Clerk (Current Employee)
Frederick, MD

I have been working at SAIC-Frederick full-time for less than a year

ProsA decent holiday/vacation bundle. Other than that, SAIC doesn't offer anything in the way of actual benefits.

Consinitiative is punished. If one goes out of their way to solve a problem, and it is not done 100% to the bosses' standards, then that employee is punished, and ridden for a while.
The management seems to not understand what the employees do, and have no idea how to help empower them.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn your employees names, and understand what their job entails.

Also, stop lying about 'ethics' and other catch phrases, when clearly that is not what the company follows in any way.

Okay company to work with.

QC Analyst III (Current Employee)

I have been working at SAIC-Frederick full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefit is average among all big companies in Maryland. On site medical help.

ConsPay is always around 10% lower than other local companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give some bonus.

Cohort system is used to determine compensation (watch out), good for late career folks but not for young overachievers.

I worked at SAIC-Frederick full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable job if you perform ok. Your work supports a noble cause (likely working for the National Cancer Institute.) Good if you want to wind down before retirement. Many can telecommute, but not everyone.

ConsI'd consider avoiding if you are early in your career. May be career-suicide if you don't play it right. Company is more like the gov't than private sector, and is full of people winding down their career. It is also full of people who wouldn't be able to hold a job in the private sector. Cohort system is used to determine compensation. This leads to under compensating top performers, while over compensating under performers. Benefits not so good. Premiums are high for less coverage for the most part. Can't contribute max federal 401k limit if you're an HCE. No pay raises the past few years. When gov't gets pay freeze, so do you.

Management Needs a Training Course on how to lead and communicate

Operations (Current Employee)
Frederick, MD

I have been working at SAIC-Frederick

Pros* Good Benefits
* Working for a good cause
* Location
* Core hours
* Wellness Program
* On site clinic

Cons* No Communication between management and staff
* Management is reactive rather than proactive
* No opportunity for growth in most operational areas
* Processes take too long to complete

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to realize that ALL employees make an organization successful, and communication and engagement are key. They need to make an effort to act as leaders, and they need to look at the broader picture, not only for the science they do and work so hard for, but also at the people making it happen, both in Science and Operations.

Worked for SAIC-Frederick? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SAIC-Frederick reviews and ratings in Frederick, MD. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by SAIC-Frederick employees.