SAIC-Frederick

SAIC-Frederick Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Government contracting, unique challenges that don't exist in a company that has a bottom line.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsMy networking team was great. Good people who wanted to improve the environment.

ConsI was surrounded by contractors who fought progress every step of the way. Government employees on egotistical power trips, end of year spending, etc. If you have progressive ideas, do not work for the government. This is not a reflection on SAIC, it is NCI Frederick that fostered this ridiculous environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wouldn't even know where to start.

For the most part a rewarding time spent here. Much interesting research.

Associate Scientist (Current Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsLocal. No commuting required. Government contractor, so follows government regulations and get general government style benefits. Because it is local and basic science, the opportunity for flex scheduling is great, and was excellent while my children were young. If you open your eyes and take advantage, there is a lot to be learned.

ConsNo bonus structure per se. No real career advancement system. While the good old boy network is fading, not much is effectively taking its place in a managerial way, ie there is still too much lower level cronyism and not enough good use of labor. That is optimal use of labor and skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget the forest for a day or two and take a good look at the trees.

Challenging government contacting and IT software development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLearn contracting and IT PM process within a company that services the prime contract for NCI at Ft Detrick

ConsLittle individual support and recognition of effort. Focused on pleasing customer no matter what and not standing up for what makes good technical sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA as now Leidos

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

Prosinteresting projects with reasonably salary schedules. Middle management usually friendly but without much power to make things better.

Consdiscoveries and other advances are typically not owned by the SAIC employee as the contract typically puts nih staff in the driver's seat with these issues

Advice to Senior Managementemployees are the most valuable part of the company

Incest breeds....

Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsA paycheck? Health insurance too.

ConsNo raises.
    Very Cliquish, if not part of the in group, raises and advancements are virtually impossible.
    No future for support staff.
    Many of the lower management are related and/or went to school together. Very incestuous.
    Health insurance premiums are very high

Advice to Senior ManagementTry caring, or even just showing a grain of interest in your employees.

A great company turned bad very rapidly because of incompetent new magagements

Scientist (Current Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsGreat resources to do great work.
    Great scientific knowledge base.
    Good but not great benefits

ConsTop heavy with minimal scientific background and NO interactions with bench scientists.
    No chance for professional growth at all unless you are a YES man/woman.
    No or very low annual raises. No raise for last 3 yrs.
    Ever since the CEO left couple of years ago, the company went downhill very rapidly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to become employee friendly.
    You still have a number very knowledgeable scientists left with more years to contribute.
    Everyone is afraid to talk freely because of your "bully" attitude.

A Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsGood Benefits. HR department will go the extra mile to process Visas.

ConsHR Department is non responsive. The work environment has become a political battle. Reduction in Force has required the people that care to work double, while others have nothing to do. The company has changed drastically since they went from employee owned to publicly owned.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage your people and hold them accountable!

Initially appealing company which in a few years presents no career path, and a weak benefits package.

ProsRemote work flexibility
    Decent base salary

ConsIncompetent and non-communicative upper management
    Weak yet expensive benenfits package
    No bonuses and no career path
    Extremely bureaucratic organization

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your employees' concerns seriously and figure out proper career paths for your IT employees.

Site Program Manager - Review

Site Program Manager (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsA very good company with lots of room for growth/upwards mobility, particularly so if you are willing to move. The pay was suitable for the position and commensurate with my experience. Caveat; sell yourself and your skills, as they are willing to pay for quality employees.

ConsThis Company is very large, which, by nature can and does occasionally give employees the impression that the company does not care about them. Obviously, this is not the case but it does leave some people with this feeling so if you are the type of person that needs/desires constant feedback then you may want to look at a company that is much smaller for a more personal feel.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake an extra effort to reach-out to employees that are not co-located with the main business effort in Virginia. This will pay huge dividends for you with respect to employee satisfaction and reduce personnel turnover.

Smart, effective management, great benefits and a team spirit that makes it hard to leave.

Research Associate I (Current Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsOnce you're part of the company, they take care of their own. Your managers will work with you to help advance your career while providing excellent service to the client at the same time. Sick leave is separate from vacation, the work schedules are flexible, a team atmosphere is ever present, and advancement is almost automatic. Oh yeah, AND they helped pay for my master's degree. Also, when it comes to ethics, they really mean it. It's not the type of company that sacrifices integrity for the bottom line. There's no backstabbing and short-changing going on.

ConsThe benefits are so comfy that you might get complacent in your career path and spend years and years in the comfortable rather than challenging job. They're subject almost entirely to government contracts so if a contract is lost or the government cuts the budget, then you might be on the losing side of that bargain.

Worked for SAIC-Frederick? Contribute to the Community!