SAIC

SAIC Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco

Anthony Moraco

Pros:
  • "Work life balance good / Not Micro Managed unless your not meeting deadlines"
    in 43 reviews
  • "Like I said above the company does have a good reputation along with good benefits"
    in 56 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very little loyalty from senior management to long-term, mid-level employees"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Upper management doesn't know (or is not saying) what they see for the future for SAIC"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall a very positive experience. Lay-off process needs to be addressed as well as internal transfers.

Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee)
Alexandria, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent benefits. Family friendly. Time off as needed was never an issue. Lower management looked out for their people as best they could.

ConsPoor communication between management and employees. Career path is convoluted at best. Told several times if I received a particular certification it would boost my career only to have the position taken away and given to a new hire. Highly driven by profit margins.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in touch with your people.

Good Job While I Had It.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Suffolk, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than a year

ProsIt was a great company to work for and I was blessed to work with good people who were capable at doing their jobs.

ConsInability to fight for their employees when it comes to contract negotiating, which caused my contract to get moved to another company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if they would go to bat for us when it's time to renewing contracts.

Excellent company, helpful supervisors

Usability Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSAIC listened to some innovative ideas I had, and even invested in some presentation materials I used when present "Brown Bag" seminars.

ConsLike most contracting companies, when work for my speciality disappeared, the paycheck disappeared. No offer of lateral training, or putting me in a position to show I could do the alternative job.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with employees, and benefit from their adaptability when specific job titles disappear from the contract stream.

Good place to work

Software Security Engineer (Current Employee)
Huntsville, AL

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSAIC is a good place to work. Nothing spectacular about pay or benefits but the people you work with are top notch and many have been in the industry for a long time and eager to share their experience and knowledge. Local operations and business units are very good at keeping the work coming in and we keep the customers happy.

After the corporate split into SAIC and Leidos the corporate management seems eager to regain that something special that SAIC used to have when it was employee owned and before the founder retired.

ConsTop management has gone down hill since Dr Beyster left the CEO position and the company drifted towards being a typical defense contractor body shop. A series of weak CEOs seemed too eager to make us clone of everybody else. Too little investment in employees, too eager to trim costs. Seems to be turning around post split but the dust is still settling.

Great place to work!

Project Manager (Current Employee)
O Fallon, IL

I have been working at SAIC full-time

ProsGreat people at all levels, many opportunities to advance your career and move to other locations. Many chances to travel and help build new business. They take care of their people.

ConsMost everything is by contract unless you are at the corporate level. If you lose the rearward on a contract, they may not be able to find an opening for you.

Great Place to Work

Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 8 years

ProsReally smart people who work well as a team. Great opportunities. Being in San Diego use to be another great pro but that has changed.

ConsRelocating to McLean, Va. Breaking the company into two.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove Hq back to San Diego.

Excellent company to work for!!!

SharePoint Systems Architect (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company goes out of their way to help their employees maintain their technical edge and explore new opportunities of learning for career growth.

ConsMany positions within the internal job board require DoD security clearance and most of the hiring managers aren't willing to sponsor. The company would have a greater retention policy if they would change this one thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your recruiters and hiring managers to give them the flexibility to sponsor current employees to obtain or upgrade their security clearance! (They're not that expensive in the scope of things!)

Great people provide a community feeling

Training Specialist (Current Employee)
Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people. Great benefits. They try to provide job security in a tough, contract-based atmosphere.

ConsSometimes the tradeoff between job security and reduced compensation/reduced hours. But I think that is more about our current federal government needing to reduce costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do. Taking care of the people at client sites is what gives SAIC an edge over other contractors.

very good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood benefits, good vacation, great training, emphasis on ethics and serving the customers and charging time correctly and doing the right thing even when others don't want you to, or won't pat you on the back.

Conssince the time it became a public company it felt like people in overhead positions were not valued and were seen as a waste of money.

Advice to Senior Managementit would be better to be private again and make it an employee owned company

20-year employee

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSalaries are reasonable
Treats employees as adults (if the customer is happy and you work the correct amount of hours, you can pretty much come and go at will)
Very ethics oriented
Customer focused

ConsLots of changes over the past 5 years, some not as helpful as others.
Pro and con: different parts of the company have completely different vibes. If you land in one you don't like, re-deploy to another.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the changes for a while and let us breathe.

Worked for SAIC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SAIC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SAIC CEO Anthony Moraco. All 997 reviews posted anonymously by SAIC employees.