SAIC Reviews

3.5
1,222 Reviews
SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco
Anthony Moraco

Pros
  • Work life balance good / Not Micro Managed unless your not meeting deadlines (in 50 reviews)

• Good benefits and lots of opportunities to expand your skill set (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't know (or is not saying) what they see for the future for SAIC (in 36 reviews)

• No loyalty from senior management as to long-term, mid-level employees (in 33 reviews)

1. It really depends on the office.

I worked at SAIC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Big company, good pay, good benefits. Seems like people either left right away or worked there forever. If you landed at a well-run office with good management, you probably would enjoy working for this company. I spoke with many people at other offices/divisions that loved the company.

Cons

The office I worked at was terribly mismanaged. The office manager had a long history of clashing with his employees and making unreasonable demands (excessive travel, overtime, etc.). Corporate was well aware of the problems due to numerous complaints but took absolutely no corrective action. The office ended up closing a short time after I left.

Having lots of little independent offices I'm sure has its benefits to the corporation. But from the viewpoint of an employee, it was like the worst of both worlds - all of the downsides of working for a big company but with none of the upsides.

2. Normal Company, deceitful Job assignment

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Crane, IN
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Crane, IN

I have been working at SAIC full-time

Pros

Payroll and HR have their act together.

Cons

You will be hired under a specific Job and magically reassigned to another task and reassigned to other short term tasks. Basically told, I’ll try to keep you fully employed. This happens to mid and senior engineers. I don’t know who keeps placing the Fulfilling and chance to learn from senior engineers and working to server the military in multiple review. Someone at SAIC? Btw, the reason you will not receive any relocation is this job switch and bait.

MIA

Unqualified Management & Extremely High Turnover Rate

Current Employee - Project Manager/ScrumMaster in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager/ScrumMaster in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Team members are extremely talented, qualified and work very well together to product high quality work and meet deadlines. SAIC has a good benefits package which includes free training and development resources.

Cons

Management was not qualified and did not support project teams especially as it pertained to ensuring that scope creep was minimized. Management also allowed the customer to dictate how the development team worked which resulted in working more hours and an extremely high turnover rate. SAIC also has very poor retention efforts to retain employees, once their contract has ended. Managers also fails to keep team members updated about contract end dates and future work. Managers ignore all requests for this type of information which puts employees and contractors at risk for being unemployed.

Please invest more time in personal and professional development efforts and refrain from any attempts to yell at employees and contractors because you failed to do your understand how to correctly do your job.

5. A long time employee who got the wrong end of the stick

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was at one time a very interesting and caring company.

Cons

I was a long time employee (almost 30 years) and my project went to Leidos as a result of the company split. Unfortunately my tenure at Leidos did not last very long and after 2 1/2 weeks I returned to SAIC. I want to emphasize that I had left (involuntarily) SAIC and then returned after 2 1/2 weeks. I had to start ALL OVER. It turns out that my nearly 30 years of service to that company did not count for anything. While with SAIC there was absolutely no discussion at my location about the split and what it would mean to the employees.

Relentless pursuit of the impossible

Former Contractor - Software Designer in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Software Designer in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The pay was decent, perhaps slightly above average
    Open to very Flexible Schedule
    Big pretty building in San Diego by the Sea

Cons

Disturbing unwillingness to accept impossibility
    Dysfunctional
    Dystopian
    I am sorry I do not have twenty appropriate words for this input (could be excessive.)

When the custom hardware's military contract docs specify, require and document a remote reset function, but the actual hardware physically does not support said function, there is no way that software can adequately compensate. I can see you wanting multiple opinions, but at some point you have to eat the hardware. Never lie to technical personnel, or withhold important details, it's wasteful and irritating. Try to avoid Concordian Logic (valuing something based on what you have into it, rather than what it's worth.)

Limited opportunities

Former Employee - Network Engineer
    Former Employee - Network Engineer

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Has a good P/E ratio, but that is built on its employees.

Cons

It is amazing their still in business and have contracts. Most of their customers tire of their poor business practice's after awhile and actively look of a new company. They are wanting to increase the churn factor with its employees, to have the lowest skill set, but the highest mark up. No opportunities to advance, train and have a seat of the pants compensation and benefits. The statement " we are like the other guys" was actual stated management statement. Work Life balance is basically none. The old adage is charge for your time and charge it right is that is old. Management just wants deliverables complete on time, even though they over work the people doing the jobs, yet pay them for 40. Then once the task is complete, toss them.

None, but to the retail and large stock investors, beware of this stock

Worse contracting firm ever

I have been working at SAIC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you get a good customer, its easy to make a difference since most govt employees and contracting managers dont like to do "work" - they just like being in charge and going to meetings.

Cons

Most employees are retired or ex-military - some are ok, but most are arrogant, lazy, and largely inept (especially the air force ones). I guess they don't like the fact that they couldn't get govt. jobs, so they take it out on junior personnel. If your contract goes, you are out of luck, they wont carry you on overhead. You are a tool for the company to make money on - little else.

SAIC squandered a $500 million per year franchise in our market.

Former Employee - Business Development Manager
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people. Excellent proposal development capabilities.

Cons

Poor executive leadership. Executives in SAIC couldn't pour water from a boot.

Hire some executives with vision, and then replace the entire senior leadership.

SAIC and LEIDOS are failing.

I have been working at SAIC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are none. Both SAIC and LEIDOS are in Stage 4 Denial and Failure. Read "Good to Great" or "How the Mighty Fall" both by Jim Collins and it should be easy to see that both companies are capitulating into irrelevance....

Cons

The sooner both of these companies fail, the better for every American

You might fool the government but you won't fool Wall Street. SAIC stock has been a non performer and LDOS has fallen 30% since the split in October 2013..

Nicht beeindruckt Not impressed

Former Employee - Systems Administrator
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator

I worked at SAIC full-time

(Translated from English)

Pros

Ich habe einen Job. Sie bieten Ausbildungsförderung an.

I have a job. They do offer tuition assistance.

Cons

Sie wollten alle Mitarbeiter dazu kriegen, einen neuen Vertrag zu unterschreiben und 35% Gehaltskürzung zu akzeptieren, weil sie in dem Vertrag wirklich wenig anboten. Sagen wir, dass ihre Bemühungen nicht so wirklich funktioniert haben.

Wanted to get all employees on a new contract to accept up to a 35% pay cut because they bid really low on the contract. Let's just say that their efforts didn't work out to well.