SAIC Reviews

3.4
1,103 Reviews

SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco
Anthony Moraco

Pros
  • Work life balance good / Not Micro Managed unless your not meeting deadlines (in 47 reviews)

• Like I said above the company does have a good reputation along with good benefits (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little loyalty from senior management to long-term, mid-level employees (in 33 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't know (or is not saying) what they see for the future for SAIC (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Great, mature company suitable for long-term career

Former Employee - Network Engineer  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than a year

Pros

SAIC is extremely mature and its management has lots of experience in caring for its veteran employees and developing new talent. The company is involved in a huge number of projects in many locations, so anyone can likely find a role that they enjoy.

Cons

The size of the company can be daunting especially for new employees, and the contract-based nature of SAIC's business model lends itself more to a project-centric employee identity rather than a feeling of fellowship with the company as a whole. Also, the contract work model means projects and jobs may come and go.

Keep up the good work.

It's all about the bottom line $$$$.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Fort Bliss, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fort Bliss, TX

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

When it used to be an employee owned company it was great. On the flip side they do have good benefits excellent tuition reimbursement and if your motivated they have an SAIC University,

Cons

Plenty of lip service and no follow thru. Sadly several of my coworkers that had 15 20 25 years were let go after the company split.

Your employees are the backbone of the company. Without them SAIC doesn't exist. I understand that employees are replaceable however talent and integrity are not. Warm bodies will get the job done. But employees with quality and integrity will get it done right the first time.

SAIC Review

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than a year

Pros

opportunity, values, culture, resources, management

Cons

politics, tedium, competition, backstabbers, closed-mindedness

have some compassion

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SAIC used to be one of most progressive and outstanding org to work for

Former Employee - Earned Value/Scheduling Manager  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Earned Value/Scheduling Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Employee stock share, metrix centered organization that slows you to freely contribute and feel part of the team. Each Business Units is separate and draws from a centralized pool of experts for Project Management.

Cons

they have lost their employee owner focus. while job satisfaction is still there, the employee has lost their value - it is all about the bottom line, stock price and stock dividends. Trying to emulate the big boys with a mid size company mentality.. doesn't work

learn from the past! value your employee, take care of the employee and get rid of the "old boys" network and go back to the core values that made you a 12 billion $$ company.

Formerly was a positive environment with lots of good and dedicated people

Current Employee - IT Staff
    Current Employee - IT Staff

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Corporate History and positive work environment

Cons

The SAIC/Leidos Split has been difficult and Leidos is not doing well at all. The Leidos staff is in the process of drastic cuts. It is a shame really. The New CEO as of this month has a BIG job to put Lipstick on this Pig to eventually (IMO) sell the firm.

The benefits are being reduced and staff eliminated because the Company needs to be competitive and win new business.

Who would listen? There is simply too much wrong to fix quickly without eliminating many jobs and outsourcing (formerly) internal systems, staff, processes, etc.

Was better, recent changes have been negative.

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Will try to find you another position if your position loses coverage.

Many locations across the world.

Seems genuinely concerned that employees charge their time accurately.

Cons

Starting January 2013, the health care benefits are terrible.

Split off from Leidos last year as well, less opportunities to move within the company.

No more quarterly morale events since going to the new Service Line strategy for management.

Give us the 3rd option for the decent healthcare we had in 2012 and prior.

The Service Line idea isn't working.

Enjoyed!

Former Employee - ITS  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - ITS in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

A lot of great people to work with and learn from. When it was employee owned it couldn't have been better. You could really tell that even management cared about the employees and it showed when reviews/increases were done and just in general throughout the year. It was a great place to learn a lot of different things.

Cons

When it went public you could really tell that the culture of the company changed. Business is business though. The company looking out for new share holders forgot that the employees were also share holders.

consider hiring back employees that although were laid off were also offered to move to other locations but were unable to.

SAIC was great. Leidos stands for "Lies Before Us"

Former Employee - Logistics Analyst  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Logistics Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

SAIC was a great, dynamic company where my co-owners kept each other energized. The benefits were great and the company shared our success with us.

Cons

Since SAIC went public, it has gone downhill quickly. Lack of focus, leadership, increasing levels of management and bureaucracy.....lip service...and I found my management would not honor their commitments or promises. I left when promises made to me were not kept and my management outright lied to me about it.

Honor promises and commitments and hire scrupulous and honest people.

Things have Really Changed

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked for SAIC for 23 years before leaving spring 2014. The company has great infrastructure, training, ethics, and managers. They employ an incredible pool of technical talent.

Cons

Since SAIC and Leidos split, SAIC has gone to the Line Manager approach, where a Line Manager (someone you've never met, who doesn't know what you do or know your customer) manages assigning you to a new contract when your previous contract ends. The Line Manager responsibility is in addition to this person's other responsibilities, so tends to get short shrift. This approach is killing morale and losing employees. SAIC's proposal costs also tend to be high. They've reduced overhead in the last few years, but they still have trouble competing.

Take a close look at the ineffectiveness of the Line Manager position. You are losing valuable employees.

A loyal company...as long as they're billing you at 2-3x to the USG

Former Employee - Network Engineer III  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Network Engineer III in Washington, DC

I worked at SAIC as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

It's a place to work where they give you money in exchange for your time, so that's something. There are (presumably) a lot of opportunities to move around.

Cons

Let's face it--this place is a body shop. They throw a minimal number of bodies at a contract to keep the margins up, but will fling a bunch more at a contract when it's getting close to renewal. And you'd better hope they win it, because you've only got two weeks to find a new one if they don't, which is roughly the period of the announcement, depending on the contract. Benefits are barely average, and there are a number of mandatory meetings not billable to the customer so you're expected to "make up" that time. A lot of contracts require a clearance--if you don't have one, the opportunities dwindle rapidly.
    Work there if you must, but keep your resume updated and keep one eye on the door.

Understand that the company's success is predicated on the employees, not your ability to jigger numbers on a spreadsheet. Your employees have two bosses, the customer and you, so go light on the MBA nonsense and trust that your employees are doing the job you hired them for.

Worked for SAIC? Contribute to the Community!