SAIC Reviews

3.4
1,123 Reviews

SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco
Anthony Moraco

Pros
  • Work life balance good / Not Micro Managed unless your not meeting deadlines (in 47 reviews)

• Good benefits and lots of opportunities to expand your skill set (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't know (or is not saying) what they see for the future for SAIC (in 34 reviews)

• Very little loyalty from senior management to long-term, mid-level employees (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Formerly was a positive environment with lots of good and dedicated people

Current Employee - IT Staff
    Current Employee - IT Staff

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Corporate History and positive work environment

Cons

The SAIC/Leidos Split has been difficult and Leidos is not doing well at all. The Leidos staff is in the process of drastic cuts. It is a shame really. The New CEO as of this month has a BIG job to put Lipstick on this Pig to eventually (IMO) sell the firm.

The benefits are being reduced and staff eliminated because the Company needs to be competitive and win new business.

Who would listen? There is simply too much wrong to fix quickly without eliminating many jobs and outsourcing (formerly) internal systems, staff, processes, etc.

Enjoyed!

Former Employee - ITS  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - ITS in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

A lot of great people to work with and learn from. When it was employee owned it couldn't have been better. You could really tell that even management cared about the employees and it showed when reviews/increases were done and just in general throughout the year. It was a great place to learn a lot of different things.

Cons

When it went public you could really tell that the culture of the company changed. Business is business though. The company looking out for new share holders forgot that the employees were also share holders.

consider hiring back employees that although were laid off were also offered to move to other locations but were unable to.

Was better, recent changes have been negative.

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Will try to find you another position if your position loses coverage.

Many locations across the world.

Seems genuinely concerned that employees charge their time accurately.

Cons

Starting January 2013, the health care benefits are terrible.

Split off from Leidos last year as well, less opportunities to move within the company.

No more quarterly morale events since going to the new Service Line strategy for management.

Give us the 3rd option for the decent healthcare we had in 2012 and prior.

The Service Line idea isn't working.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SAIC was great. Leidos stands for "Lies Before Us"

Former Employee - Logistics Analyst  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Logistics Analyst in Norfolk, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

SAIC was a great, dynamic company where my co-owners kept each other energized. The benefits were great and the company shared our success with us.

Cons

Since SAIC went public, it has gone downhill quickly. Lack of focus, leadership, increasing levels of management and bureaucracy.....lip service...and I found my management would not honor their commitments or promises. I left when promises made to me were not kept and my management outright lied to me about it.

Honor promises and commitments and hire scrupulous and honest people.

A loyal company...as long as they're billing you at 2-3x to the USG

Former Employee - Network Engineer III  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Network Engineer III in Washington, DC

I worked at SAIC as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

It's a place to work where they give you money in exchange for your time, so that's something. There are (presumably) a lot of opportunities to move around.

Cons

Let's face it--this place is a body shop. They throw a minimal number of bodies at a contract to keep the margins up, but will fling a bunch more at a contract when it's getting close to renewal. And you'd better hope they win it, because you've only got two weeks to find a new one if they don't, which is roughly the period of the announcement, depending on the contract. Benefits are barely average, and there are a number of mandatory meetings not billable to the customer so you're expected to "make up" that time. A lot of contracts require a clearance--if you don't have one, the opportunities dwindle rapidly.
    Work there if you must, but keep your resume updated and keep one eye on the door.

Understand that the company's success is predicated on the employees, not your ability to jigger numbers on a spreadsheet. Your employees have two bosses, the customer and you, so go light on the MBA nonsense and trust that your employees are doing the job you hired them for.

Things have Really Changed

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked for SAIC for 23 years before leaving spring 2014. The company has great infrastructure, training, ethics, and managers. They employ an incredible pool of technical talent.

Cons

Since SAIC and Leidos split, SAIC has gone to the Line Manager approach, where a Line Manager (someone you've never met, who doesn't know what you do or know your customer) manages assigning you to a new contract when your previous contract ends. The Line Manager responsibility is in addition to this person's other responsibilities, so tends to get short shrift. This approach is killing morale and losing employees. SAIC's proposal costs also tend to be high. They've reduced overhead in the last few years, but they still have trouble competing.

Take a close look at the ineffectiveness of the Line Manager position. You are losing valuable employees.

Get rid of the matrix structure.

I have been working at SAIC

Pros

Smart people who work hard to provide the best product they can for their country.

Cons

Matrix organizational structure that tries to make sense but falls short of doing so.
    Decrease in employee benefits under the guise that everyone in the industry is cutting benefits.

Direct management is outstanding. Corporate management needs to concentrate on the employees and not the shareholders. This company performed extremely well prior to becoming a public company.

Great experience, learn a lot, they encourage training.

I worked at SAIC full-time

Pros

Encourage personal growth, believe in promoting from within the company

Cons

Work-life balance is encouraged and also give you an opportunity working from home. Which can be a big help for people that have small childeren.

They have been going thru a lay off and not really considering who is loyal to their company.

SAIC is an greedy upper management company that makes profit at the cost of the employees

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in North Charleston, SC

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

SAIC once was a very family and employee friendly company and then they split and created a new company under the name of SAIC. The reason for the split was to cover up past failures where the company was found at fault in several big legal issues. Now the company is structure in such that the senior management benefits from the profits at the cost of the employees' benefits and salaries.

Cons

SAIC has provided limited salary increases or bonuses to the employees but still gives huge grants of stock to the senior management. Take a look at the insider trades on any of the public financial sites and I think you will agree.

Get back to the realization that the employees make the company and stop being so greedy at the senior management levels. Granting millions of dollars in SAIC stocks to each other at the top is greedy when you demand lower salaries and bonuses to the employees doing the direct work and making the company succeed.

Had a rough time the 10 months I was employed with SAIC

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Technician  in  Crane, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Crane, IN

I worked at SAIC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, some of the people I worked with were friendly.

Cons

The location I worked at was horrible. Management didn't care about the employees, just the overall profit they brought the company. Lots of dishonesty to the customer.

Take some management courses.

Worked for SAIC? Contribute to the Community!