SAIC

3.5
1,164 Reviews

SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco
Anthony Moraco

Pros
  • Work life balance good / Not Micro Managed unless your not meeting deadlines (in 50 reviews)

• Good benefits and lots of opportunities to expand your skill set (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't know (or is not saying) what they see for the future for SAIC (in 36 reviews)

• No loyalty from senior management as to long-term, mid-level employees (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Was once THE Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Under employee ownership spectacular. As a publicly traded company mediocre. Great customer. Interesting work. If you don't work on a customer site, most people telecommute.

Cons

Unorganized and decentralized management in a matrixed organizational structure. Publicly traded company, so went from a destination company to just another overhead heavy corporation. Zero training.

Start over and try to get it right.

A great company that is still trying to find itself following its first year of a company split/reorganization

I have been working at SAIC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Great/Passionate people more concerned about doing the right thing for the team as well as our government customer than achieving increased revenue at any cost.

Cons

Limited advancement and some very poor leadership either being recognized as poor leaders by their management/senior leadership and/or leaders exhibiting poor leadership skills and not being held accountable. Some leaders are too worried about the perception of themselves within the execution of their organizations activities vice empowering their subordinates to achieve as much as possible by providing them and the organization the resources, flexibility, etc. to obtain more for the company overall. In essence, some leaders limit the risk on themselves by limiting (micromanaging) the actions of their subordinates and control the consequences that leader wants to achieve as much as possible. It appears some of the more senior leaders selected/maintained for positions is based upon ethnic diversity reasons vice exhibiting strong leadership skills in the past.

Stop the madness, take a hard look at how some leaders are conducting themselves and their organizations and not just the raw revenue numbers...unleash the talent within while bringing more in...greater successes will be achieved for all.

I was brought on as a junior employee, and they mentored me quite well. There were a variety of projects to work on.

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The variety of work was definitely nice and challenging. As a junior employee they did not expect me to bring in work, but once I started to do that they offered me stock options as compensation.

Cons

I had a manager that liked to "bend" the rules, which I felt uncomfortable with. He would tell me that unless I went along with what he wanted to do, I was not a 'Team Player'.

Stress the value of Integrity across the company. For without integrity, nothing stands for long.

From great to beyond not great

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst IV (Senior Java/J2EE Developer) in Monterey, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Really no positive note with current company, but prior to going IPO, it was great, prior to split into 2 companies, it was okay. Now it's pretty bad.

Cons

Some managers within the company lost vision the value of people. Finger pointing and shifting blame isn't a good trait

Realize the true value of employee, sometimes the bottom (profit) isn't as important as a happy employee. People are watching

Going downhill

Current Employee - IT Manager in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at SAIC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company may be good overall. However, this particular contract thrives only on making money and they do not care if historical, valuable people walk because of low pay and retracting benefits. Really dropping after split.

Cons

Wants to hire less and less people to do multiple jobs for the same low level pay. Provides new titles and responsibilities with no rate increases. People drop like flies and then do not replace the skillset of people.

Think more about the people and overall contract instead of making a buck. You would have/kept the more qualified people.

THIS IS A RATING FOR SAIC PRIOR TO THE LEIDOS/SAIC SPLIT

I worked at SAIC (more than 10 years)

Pros

The salary was fair. The 401K was great with low-cost funds. For the most part, the people were great to work with.

Cons

Started in 1988. Company was employee-owned then, with a super CEO/Founder. Entrepreneurship was encouraged. After the company went public and the CEO was ousted, it became just another large defense firm. I did not stick around for the Leidos/SAIC split

Great company to work for....large company were you are treated as one of the family.

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Columbia, MD

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great pay and people care about each other.

Cons

This company should give more assistance to people that are losing coverage.

Try harder to retain loyal employees by forming a group of people to assist employees that lose coverage to find another position with the company.

Mainly does contracts

Current Employee - Help Desk Support in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Help Desk Support in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at SAIC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay. The company encourages you to continue with training and school. They stay out of your way and let you do your job. Good benefits and 401K match. No complaints with them at all.

Cons

Your at the mercy of the contract. The company is going to do everything they can to keep the contract and keep you there as it's good for them and you. But if the company that's contracting wants a change there's not much they can do about. If you're lucky you can catch on with the new company that takes over the contract.

Management does everything they need to do to keep things running smoothly. SAIC is first class.

Good solid traditional company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Human resources, payroll, travel services and other administrative roles are staffed with dedicated individuals.
    Reliable raises (at certain salary levels) for good performance.
    Training and College programs are well established (depending on the contract)
    Employees at all levels are professionals in attitudes and in their roles.

Cons

Satellite facilities are not as well maintained, since there are MANY facilities everywhere.

Review of SAIC

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at SAIC full-time

Pros

Wonderful employment opportunity. This is a company that rewards loyalty and will do what it takes to obtain, train, and retain valued employees. They regularly issue bonuses and raises to performers. In particular, their Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) and 401k benefits are quite impressive.

Cons

They changed / reduced their health benefits as a cost cutting measure in response to Obamacare / ACA that has turned lots of people off / away. They used to have a culture that "expected" regular uncompensated overtime hours but I seen that change firsthand in the past 5 years and they have made great progress towards respecting a healthy work-life balance.

Be sure to obtain surveys from people who have resigned willfully and in a timely manner. Understanding and incorporating feedback from these is key to reducing voluntary turnover.