SAIC

3.5
1,164 Reviews

SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco
Anthony Moraco

Pros
  • Work life balance good / Not Micro Managed unless your not meeting deadlines (in 50 reviews)

• Good benefits and lots of opportunities to expand your skill set (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't know (or is not saying) what they see for the future for SAIC (in 36 reviews)

• No loyalty from senior management as to long-term, mid-level employees (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

94 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working on Innovative Science, Engineering & Technology Products & Services

Former Employee - Vice President in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great variety of cutting edge projects and work on important problems/challenges facing our nation and the world; hires experienced staff/SMEs with deep knowledge and industry expertise; while there are defined career training tracks in several areas, emphasis is on the mid-career professional; benefits comparable to other Fortune 500 companies

Cons

Project and product based work that is mostly associated with commercial and federal contracts; employees are expected to stay on top of projects ending and new projects getting off the ground to ensure their continued engagement and work within the company.

As in the majority of corporate workplaces today, diversity, promotion of women and minorities needs to be a continuous focus to ensure a broadly diverse employee base, reflective of the diversity of customers served.

Once-great innovator being dragged into the depths of corporate mediocrity

Former Employee - Office Drone in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Office Drone in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

At the mid and lower levels there are still a great number of very intelligent, very skilled people working on the vast array of technical opportunities SAIC presents. The benefit/compensation package used to be very good and is still above average. There is enough brain-power and potential within the ranks to be optimistic for the future.

Cons

Middle and Upper management is less than worthless. Since becoming public, executive culture has shifted away from providing quality solutions for customers to squeezing every available penny out of each contract and worker. Benefits get chipped away at with every passing year. Feels like corporate view of employees is that we're all faceless, replaceable drones. Reorgs were an annual occurrence done so that the new executive could mark his/her territory, not because of any specific benefit to the customer.

Declare a reorg moratorium. I worked at SAIC for eight years in only two different positions, yet I still had EIGHT different managers/directors, went through SIX divisions, FIVE business units, and THREE different (internal) companies. STOP. Just stop. Breathe. Remember the great company Dr. Beyster founded. Get back to your roots. When I started, SAIC was a special company. Now it's just another generic Wall Street corporation.

Difficult Environment to Grow Career

Former Employee - Contracts in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Contracts in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

SAIC has competitive salaries and benefits. Job opportunities are based on projects associated with SAIC's products and services in the commercial and federal markets.

Cons

The culture is competitive based on project orientation. The environment does not foster creativity, innovation or constructive debate. Career development is not a top priority and it is very difficult to move up or into other positions as advancement is politically motivated. Valuable training and mentorship is minimal.

I was a software project manager at SAIC. I worked there for 23 years.

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are some really talented people at SAIC. There is a depth of knowledge that you can tap when needed. Management is generally very good. Ethics are strongly reinforced.

Cons

Stock isn't going anywhere any more. When it was an employee-owned company, there were many employee perks, such as a fitness center, cafeteria, good offices and equipment, good health benefits. Most of these have been eliminated, or reduced to be just in line with industry. SAIC's new line management structure removes line managers so far from employees that they don't even know each other. How can line managers find work opportunities for employees when they don't even know the skills of those employees?

Change your line management structure, put the personal touch back into the work culture.

Great place to work until 2012

Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, customer oriented. Telecommuting encouraged in past.

Cons

Layoffs of long-term, loyal employees. Upper management disconnected from workers.

Rethink your strategy to save costs. Getting rid of most people who had more than 20 years at the company was a huge mistake. It's not all about money.

Was once THE Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Under employee ownership spectacular. As a publicly traded company mediocre. Great customer. Interesting work. If you don't work on a customer site, most people telecommute.

Cons

Unorganized and decentralized management in a matrixed organizational structure. Publicly traded company, so went from a destination company to just another overhead heavy corporation. Zero training.

Start over and try to get it right.

I was brought on as a junior employee, and they mentored me quite well. There were a variety of projects to work on.

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The variety of work was definitely nice and challenging. As a junior employee they did not expect me to bring in work, but once I started to do that they offered me stock options as compensation.

Cons

I had a manager that liked to "bend" the rules, which I felt uncomfortable with. He would tell me that unless I went along with what he wanted to do, I was not a 'Team Player'.

Stress the value of Integrity across the company. For without integrity, nothing stands for long.

Business System Analyst

Former Employee - Business Systems Anayls in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Business Systems Anayls in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for, flexible schedule and benefits package. Most campus's have gyms, and provide both fitness and nutritional classes. Great 401K for retirement.

Cons

Sometime it is difficult to get management to approve company provided training.

The company as a whole should go back to employee owned policy, in supporting employees in personal growth. ta

SAIC Review

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

opportunity, values, culture, resources, management

Cons

politics, tedium, competition, backstabbers, closed-mindedness

have some compassion

Enjoyed!

Former Employee - ITS in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - ITS in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of great people to work with and learn from. When it was employee owned it couldn't have been better. You could really tell that even management cared about the employees and it showed when reviews/increases were done and just in general throughout the year. It was a great place to learn a lot of different things.

Cons

When it went public you could really tell that the culture of the company changed. Business is business though. The company looking out for new share holders forgot that the employees were also share holders.

consider hiring back employees that although were laid off were also offered to move to other locations but were unable to.