SAIC Reviews in San Diego, CA

3.4
1,103 Reviews

SAIC Chief Executive Officer Anthony Moraco
Anthony Moraco

Pros
  • Work life balance good / Not Micro Managed unless your not meeting deadlines (in 47 reviews)

• Like I said above the company does have a good reputation along with good benefits (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little loyalty from senior management to long-term, mid-level employees (in 33 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't know (or is not saying) what they see for the future for SAIC (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

88 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Business System Analyst

Former Employee - Business Systems Anayls  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Business Systems Anayls in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Company to work for, flexible schedule and benefits package. Most campus's have gyms, and provide both fitness and nutritional classes. Great 401K for retirement.

Cons

Sometime it is difficult to get management to approve company provided training.

The company as a whole should go back to employee owned policy, in supporting employees in personal growth. ta

SAIC Review

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than a year

Pros

opportunity, values, culture, resources, management

Cons

politics, tedium, competition, backstabbers, closed-mindedness

have some compassion

Enjoyed!

Former Employee - ITS  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - ITS in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

A lot of great people to work with and learn from. When it was employee owned it couldn't have been better. You could really tell that even management cared about the employees and it showed when reviews/increases were done and just in general throughout the year. It was a great place to learn a lot of different things.

Cons

When it went public you could really tell that the culture of the company changed. Business is business though. The company looking out for new share holders forgot that the employees were also share holders.

consider hiring back employees that although were laid off were also offered to move to other locations but were unable to.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Things have Really Changed

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked for SAIC for 23 years before leaving spring 2014. The company has great infrastructure, training, ethics, and managers. They employ an incredible pool of technical talent.

Cons

Since SAIC and Leidos split, SAIC has gone to the Line Manager approach, where a Line Manager (someone you've never met, who doesn't know what you do or know your customer) manages assigning you to a new contract when your previous contract ends. The Line Manager responsibility is in addition to this person's other responsibilities, so tends to get short shrift. This approach is killing morale and losing employees. SAIC's proposal costs also tend to be high. They've reduced overhead in the last few years, but they still have trouble competing.

Take a close look at the ineffectiveness of the Line Manager position. You are losing valuable employees.

Great Long term career, but not as great as it used to be

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits were great. Opportunities for growth were great. Not sure it is true anymore now the company went public and then split into 2 companies.

Great technical people!

I felt the leadership was strong, fair and ethical in the case of the DMS business Unit. There was good technical leadership at the head. Can't speak for the other BUs

Cons

You used to be able to trade in hours over 80 in a pay period for time off within the payperiod. This was exceptional. I heard this benefit was removed.
    Also, you work a LOT of hours to succeed, it is expected. Great for overachievers, not so much for family life and life-work balance.

If you have removed the timebank yet, keep it, helps people keep life-work balance

A Great Team is No More

Former Employee - Instructional Designer  in  Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Vista, CA

I worked at SAIC as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

While I was there, it was a nice environment with good people. However, that was back in 2010. When I was there, there was flex time, work from home, and a generally employee friendly attitude. Please see the cons for the sad conclusion....

Cons

Our group was like a family and highly productive. The department has since been entirely laid off. I don't know what is happening there now, but before the last of the group was laid off, they were told they could no longer work from home, and were being asked to work more hours with too few people.

Management didn't listen or care about our process. I would recommend listening more instead of making decisions from "on high."

It was great back in Beyster's day.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The name of the company makes it sound like you are doing something sciency.

Cons

Company culture has gone downhill fast since the stock went public. Management no longer promotes from within. High employee turnover.

Interact with your employees. Don't look so stiff in a suit.

SAIC

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

dynamic and very diverse sci / tech company, interesting work, very smart people

Cons

increasing managerial hierarchiarchy, became too bureaucratic

return to earlier innovative approach

I had a great time working at point loma on the base.

Former Employee - Drafter  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Drafter in San Diego, CA

I worked at SAIC as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

professional peolpe / co-workers. great environment

Cons

temporary assignment, break in assignment, contract lapsed

don't let contracts lapse. keep on them for steady work and no interuptions or delays.

A challenging company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SAIC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Small projects, high regard for the customer (and typically from the customer as well), corporate support for career from HR and the new "service line" organization.

Cons

Low project stability, high responsibility and visibility, need to pay attention to contract expirations so you don't get "marooned" on a project without continuing funding.

Service line rollout has been really rocky; there's absolutely NO standard way to find out who an employee's project supervisor is (that information was completely lost because the company replaced "supervisor" information with "service line leader" information). We need both -- and it should be easy for the line and project managers for a particular employee to communicate, and instead it's simply guesswork.

Worked for SAIC? Contribute to the Community!