SAIF

Brenda Rocklin

Great

Assistant (Current Employee)
    Salem, OR

ProsGood company with a thoughtful employee approach.

ConsA lot of opinionated people with advice on how others can do their jobs better.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, make sure you are walking the talk.

Over 10 years at SAIF and the disfunction continues.

Salem, OR

ProsTelecommuting and flexible schedules are available. Competitive salary and benefits. Office located close to town in a beautiful setting with good places to walk. The people that are in the trenches doing the work care about the injured workers and the policyholders.

ConsMost of the senior management only cares about their hold on power and ability to control this beneath them. The CEO who's leadership style was to rule by fear and intimidation may have left, but the many of the VPs who remain appear to have adopted this style for themselves. Recent ousting of the new CEO was a coup and leaves the moral in shambles.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecrease the number of VPs, some should retire and others should leave to allow new ideas and a new culture to try and take hold.

Claims

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)

ProsGreat salary and benefits. Most people are easy to get along with. It is easy for anyone to carve a niche out for themselves there.

ConsNot everyone works hard, although most do. Some managers can be difficult because they easily feel threatened by new ideas. They tend to promote only one type of person to management, someone who will do exactly what they are told or what the established procedures are no matter what the results. They get trapped into ineffective processes but tend to be in denial about it. They set up innovation initiatives that go nowhere. Middle management sometimes alienates high performers. I once went a year barely seeing my supervisor and never seeing my supervisor's boss smile, although it has improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat new ideas as a threat. Don't demoralize high performers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

old school company propped up by the state

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosi dont work there any more

Consnothing good about working there

Advice to Senior Managementfire yourself and hire people who have a clue

Progressive ideals being implemented in a traditional workplace; but a great environment.

Pros+ Excellent pay and benefits
    + Receptive supervisors and management
    + Commendable progressive work/life initiatives (Teleworking, flex schedules, etc.)

Cons- Tradionalism is still strong, you can't always telecommute as some are still apprehensive
    - HR can be difficult to work with
    - Ceilings abound; this is not a move-up place, it's a camp in your position place.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving forward with initatives to garner and keep the new workforce and find ways to placate the "old guard" as it were.

Great Work Place

Salem, OR

ProsTelecommuting availability, work life balance, advancement opportunity, career development and training, education reimbursement, great benefits, management support, long-term employees.

ConsTendency to work over 40 hours during busy times of the year. Frustrations can arise as succession planning and long term employees retire and knowledge is walking out the door without the necessary replacement staffed and ready to take over.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue listening to staff

The best place to work

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)
    Salem, OR

ProsExcellent pay and benefits, great people work there, they give you the best resources to do your job well. I learned a lot working there. I only left because I moved out of state.

ConsSome of the managers are not that great. Staffing is always changing and because of that, I had 8 or 9 managers while I was there. This can affect reviews since sometimes your new manager doesn't really know you. There also seems to be a lot of nepotism since a lot of husbands/wives, parents/children, brothers/sisters, etc. work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot really, except some of the management choices don't make sense, and middle management seems a bit "top heavy".

Governmental Mentality and Backwards Thinking

Loss Control (Current Employee)

ProsThey pay the Medical and Dental Benefits
    If you are a drone you too could be a Manager

ConsDictatorship
    Micromanagement
    Not Forward Thinking
    Employees are Paranoid
    Poor Unqualified Supervisors
    Managers do not respect others opinions or experience
    Don't question authority or you are fired
    Promotions are given to employees that have some type of political connection

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people on the Executive Counsel that actually have Insurance experience outside of SAIF.
    Deal with the profound depression of the employees caused by Paranoia.

Love my job at SAIF

ProsEmployees care about the customer, the process, and the outcome. I love working with a group of people that are so conscientious. We have the tools we need, the environment is positive, and we are given many opportunities to learn and grow. I have worked at SAIF over 20 years, have held a few different positions, had the opportunity to advance, and finished my MBA with SAIF paying almost half of my tuition. We have good benefits and can telecommute.

ConsDepending on where you work at SAIF, you may experience some micromanagement, but I don't think any more than anywhere else. I experienced that with one supervisor, but in retrospect learned more than ever from her. Overall I have been given the freedom to do my work in the manner I find most effective.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Love working @ SAIF!

ProsAwesome benefits, telecommuting, flex schedules allowed, family/work balance understanding, great pay.

ConsIf I thought there was a downside... I wouldn't still be working here for the 22 years I have been :)

Worked for SAIF? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SAIF reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SAIF CEO Brenda Rocklin. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by SAIF employees.