SANDOW Reviews

3.3
Adam I Sandow

1. Sales director

I have been working at SANDOW full-time

Pros

Work from home, great company!

Cons

Tough selling ad's at times w/ high prices.

Unique place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at SANDOW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been very lucky in Sandow as I work for a manager that has believed in my abilities and has given me the leg up into growing and succeeding. I have worked incredibly hard and given my job my all, and it has been rewarded. I have seen the company change drastically over the past few years from a very small operation with little to no upper management, to a company that has invested in bringing aboard leaders to shape the business and day-to-day operations. The offices in Boca and New York are very beautiful, and I feel lucky to work every day in a place that feels unique.

Cons

Sandow is definitely the most unique place I have ever worked. It is an environment in which I thrive, because the culture is very entrepreneurial. That being said, if you seek strict structure and stability in terms of project directions, this is not the place for you. If you want to be a clock watcher, put in your 40 hours and then go home, this is, again, not a place for you. A con to some, a pro to others, I have a never been pushed or challenged as hard. Working here has absolutely made me grow into a diligent, strategic and agile worker, though I only see that as a plus.

Advice to Management

Ensuring that managers are adhering to yearly reviews in a timely manner would be helpful, as I heard some complaints from other co-workers about this. Also, it does feel like the company used to invest more into bringing employees together and upping morale, though I understand it was much smaller a few years ago, and perhaps increasing resources is more important to the company at the time then having bagel fridays and regular company lunches. Lastly, it is not just a personal complaint, but also something very widely discussed with others on varying teams, but corporate cards are few and far between, and having to front hundreds, sometimes thousands, of my own dollars during a business trip can be very inconvenient. Accounting is quick to reimburse, though.

3. Hard work pays off

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at SANDOW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a hard worker who isn't afraid to put in the time, you will do very well here. Ideas are valued regardless of where they come from - strategic thinkers who are diligent and willing to roll up their sleeves are the most successful Sandow Media employees. The perks are great, not having to stop at Starbucks every morning on my way in is a pleasure! I work very hard, I am often among the last ones in the office each day, and that's ok. You have to put in the time and your work has to be exceptional - mediocre work is not acceptable here and it shouldn't be. This company has grown from a tiny little team in Boca to a powerhouse in NY and I am proud to work here. I have friends that work for other media companies in New York and many of them are clamoring for an opportunity to work at Sandow. It isn't easy, the expectations are high and there is no shortage of work, but that is how you learn and grow. Upper management recognizes the value I add and I recently received an unexpected bonus for going above and beyond. In last year, there has been an emphasis on company wide communication and I for one think it's great. I hope to continue to learn and grow here and move up within the organization.

Cons

It isn't really a con, but working here is demanding. You cannot skate by by simply showing up. You have to be accountable for your work, meet deadlines and be flexible.

Advice to Management

continue to share company wide information across the different brands and perhaps host some off site team building events, the happy hours are fun but I think we can do better.

Wonderful company!

I have been working at SANDOW full-time

Pros

Run by a genius entrepreneur, this company gives you the opportunity to work for a large business, without the stuffy "corporate" vibe.

Cons

There are no "cons" to working for this company

Advice to Management

Tap into some of the existing talent in the company. It's easy to continue to hire from outside when people have shiny resumes, but you may be missing an opportunity to promote from within.

Most unprofessional company I

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at SANDOW

Pros

Beautiful magazines and projects that are fun to work on.

Cons

Ridiculous hours at the expense of people's health and spirit. It's a sweat shop with free drinks and snacks.

Advice to Management

Let someone run the company with real corporate experience, who knows how to treat people with respect.

toxic environment

I have been working at SANDOW

Pros

They have purchased good brands: Interior Design & Material Connexion.

Cons

Upper management is a disaster. The ceo assumes the worst of everyone, likes to play games with people and is not shy about saying so - A twisted approach to managing a business. His inner circle have absolutely no experience in running a media company and operate by getting people to turn on one another for the advancement of their own careers - A truly toxic environment. There is no professionalism and favoritism abounds. They like to call themselves scrappy but that's only because they are tactless, rude, unsophisticated, nouveau riche wannabees. Unless you are desperate for work, stay far from this company.

Advice to Management

get a management coach, a lifestyle coach and learn to value talent

8. Team Spirit

I have been working at SANDOW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The thing I like the best is that everyone in our group really supports one another. Our manager points out the successes of the business frequently - whether it's an event or a deal that was closed. In sales, this is really important and is a good motivator. I have pride in the products we offer and believe it what I'm selling. Coming from mostly big companies, I like the accessibility to management and flexibility in making decisions. The design of the office is very appealing and Starbucks doesn't hurt!

Cons

I would prefer to have a physical office instead of a workstation on the floor. It can be loud when making calls to clients.

Advice to Management

I like that more information is being provided about other brands and I hope that continues. There is opportunity to work together across businesses that we are not fully tapping into yet. Overall, I like what we are doing.

9. Room for growth and opportunity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at SANDOW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, understanding bosses, great perks (starbucks, employee common areas, kitchen), beautiful facility!

Cons

Really none that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Management rewards those that want to work hard and advance their careers. There can be long hours, but its worth it for those that want to get ahead. Opportunities are available to those that see the possibilities.

Poor salary

I have been working at SANDOW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other than the Starbucks not many

Cons

They do not pay for the job you are doing. There is one man in charge of your salary and he doesn't even know what anyone does. Managers never seem to know who to talk to about an increase in salary when you move up in position and work load doubles, you are just expect to do the work of an extra position with no pay increase.

11. fabulous company

Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at SANDOW

Pros

Owner of company always on the leading edge in everything media. Room for advancement. Great environment, nice people. Lots of perks for employees.

Cons

I can't think of cons.

Advice to Management

nothing really

RSS Feed </> Embed