SANYO

Be The First To
Add Photos

SANYO President Seiichiro Sano

Seiichiro Sano

Great opportunity to use all my IT computer and networking skills in addition to my Microsoft Office skills.

Network Administrator and Computer Help Desk and Data Entry (Former Employee)
Carson, CA

I worked at SANYO full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAble to grow and know all employees. Great people to work for. Able to grow and use skills from a variety of skill sets from Network administration, computer help desk support and Microsoft Office skills.

ConsWorking 18 to 20 hours a day some days. Not getting paid for all overtime worked or acknowledgement of the extra miles I was going to get the job done because I had several responsibilities between the QC and IT departments.

Rudderless ship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at SANYO full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat workers willing to work hard during their 8 hours
No extra work allowed so, easy to make work/home balance

ConsVirtually no management savvy (couple notable exceptions)
Resources pumped to bureaucratic headquarters "projects" instead of customer enhancing options
Low pay, limited advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn your craft and develop your staff
Understand budgeting
Develop ways to say "no" to mindless bureaucratic rabbit trails that take valued $ and time off the table

SANYO

Mechanical Design Engineer (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at SANYO

ProsBasically, benefit is good. It's not great but still good. It's easy taking day off.

ConsSalary is not competitive compare to similar jobs.
Upper management usually don't tell us important information until last minutes for example layoff.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving better communication with all employees

Exciting experience in an extremely difficult environment

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at SANYO full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunity to develop new competences and acquire new experiences

ConsDeclining business volume and eventually company sell-out

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild-up brand value

Comfortable, but too familiar

Computer Engineer (Current Employee)
Moriguchi (Japan)

I have been working at SANYO full-time for less than a year

ProsLess Zangyo than other IT companies. Not so bad salary. you can get much more holidays. better place to work longer.

ConsThey do as Pana directs. Not much freedom. They are transforming themselves but no much determination to the future as a company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSelect your business and cut the other, or individualize the business units. Be independent from Pana, or get together with other IT companies in our group.

A slow death

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at SANYO

ProsSanyo has a very friendly and close-knit working environment. Employees are always willing to help out one another and have a strong bond when working together. At work, you are not confined to working the same projects and tasks but can take on other tasks to expand your set skills outside of your scope of expertise. Taking time off is usually not a problem.

ConsNearly all management positions from Director and above are filled with lifetime Sanyo employees from Japan. There is usually a 4-5 year rotation between these upper managers. Hence, these managers are only thinking of how to make themselves look good on paper so they can receive a handsome promotion upon their return back to their original division. Nearlly all corporate profits are sent back to headquarters and reinvestment into the local company is non-existent, with the exception of the batteries and solar panel division. Most salaries within Sanyo rank in the bottom 20th percentile compared to other local salaries due to this phenomenon.
A slow decline has been evident from the early 90s until now, as more than half the employees are over the age of 50 while the other half are below age 30. Only time will tell how many former Sanyo divisions will remain after the buyout from Panasonic.

Advice to Senior ManagementMust be willing to incorporate change in culture as well as in leadership. However, the Panasonic buyout will force that decision.

Japanese company working conditions..

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Gifu (Japan)

I have been working at SANYO

ProsYou can experience working at a very traditional large Japanese company. There are also many vacation days.

ConsThe work hours are very long. Japanese work culture is not suitable for non-Japanese. There are too many rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementSanyo must be streamlined, get rid of useless workers and unimportant meetings.

Worked for SANYO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SANYO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SANYO CEO Seiichiro Sano. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by SANYO employees.