SAP Business Objects Reviews

John G. Schwarz

1. Senior Developer

Former Employee - Senior Developer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in San Jose, CA

I worked at SAP Business Objects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with one of the best teams. Spirit was very high each day. Customers are prime!

Cons

Nothing that I saw was negative, management was always with customers and employees.

2. Overall, good company to work for.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in San Jose, CA

I worked at SAP Business Objects

Pros

There are good people working for the company. Since it is original a French company, it provides opportunties to gain international experiences. The company does focus on community involment. Benefit is good with matching 401K program, stock option, Employee Stock Purchase Plan,...

Cons

Salary is average compared to other similar companies. High turn over in the sales team. The market that Business Objects in is very competitive. Limited growth opportunity.

Advice to Management

Provide frequent communcation and share more information.

Once great employer ruined by process over people SAP leadership philosophy.

Former Employee - Field Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Field Consultant in San Jose, CA

I worked at SAP Business Objects

Pros

They have great benefits and hire a lot of smart people.

Cons

Since the SAP acquisition, the place has really gone down the drain. Business Objects was never a perfect place to work, but it was pretty good before SAP purchased the company. SAP is extremely secretive. Throughout the year, waves of lay-offs in various parts of the company were never addressed by senior leadership. You heard through word of mouth--usually by knowing someone in a group that had lay-offs. SAP replaced all of Business Objects customer facing systems and processes, then refused to accept any responsibility for declines in customer satisfaction and sales. I heard one senior manager address this in a group setting by saying "we let you run as a separate company for the rest of the year precisely so you couldn't blame us for this stuff". At the rate at which people are being laid off or leaving voluntarily, I would expect the Business Objects product quality to drop as its revenue increases in the next few years. Many people in leadership positions at SAP seem to view their customers as nearly a captive audience. The Business Objects product may lure in a few customers, but it mostly seems to be something else they can coerce existing customers into spending money on.

Advice to Management

Business Objects success came because of its people. Our "enterprise lock-in" came about through creating a great product that customers didn't want to give up. They weren't locked in because they'd spent too much money to abandon ship. I once thought the SAP acquisition would be the end of an independent Business Intelligence sector. As I see former Business Objects (and Crystal) people fleeing for smaller B.I. and analytics software companies, I realize that's not the case. Poor personnel management has probably planted the seeds for a half dozen small,but innovative competitors to emerge.

A once amazing place to work has deteriorated to "barely tolerable" after a few months of SAP leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SAP Business Objects

Pros

Business Objects provides a great benefits package. The software is in demand. The skills you learn here are valuable. Once you get the experience at Business Objects, customers will pay top dollar for those skills if you want to work as a contractor. There are a lot of great people who work in the trenches.

Cons

SAP. SAP. SAP. SAP has ruined our support site. They've ruined many of our internal systems. They are a company that puts process and protecting one's own turf over common sense and getting the job done well. If the last few months are an indication of the future, Business Objects will no longer be the great place to work that it once was. Our leadership wants things to look good on paper regardless of how they look in the real world.

Advice to Management

All of the things that made Business Objects a market leader are being cast aside. The culture that produced innovative products and passionate, dedicated field employees is being eroded swiftly under SAP's ownership. We're no longer an organization. We're just a product. Were it not for the current state of the job market, you would see people fleeing this place like rats from a sinking ship.

All the bureaucracy of a large corporation and some of the benefits.

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SAP Business Objects

Pros

Global business with opportunities to work around the world. Generous vacation benefit since the SAP acquisition.

Cons

Career growth and compensation are hit or miss. Some will experience no career growth and sub-par compensation even after years of excellent performance reviews.

Advice to Management

The annual performance review system is not working. The disparity in salaries and titles depends partly on tenure, personality and circumstance but seemingly not at all on performance. This is starting to feel like a government job.

7. Was once a great place to work, now lets see if they can get that back post SAP.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SAP Business Objects

Pros

A very relaxed atmosphere. Good benefits and for the most part you are not micro-manged. The company is fairly good at recognizing employees and making sure that there is a balance between work and home life.

Cons

The company is currently undergoing an integration with SAP. All the problems one would expect are now popping up.

Advice to Management

Listen to the voice of the people on the front line. Overall management at BO is good. There is a sense that they do care about the organization and the people that work in it.

Challenging times but still a good place to work.

Current Employee - Developer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SAP Business Objects

Pros

The people you work with are passionate about what they do. Every day you are challenged and learning something new. The physical office environment is open and encourages collaboration.

Cons

The integration has brought a lot of uncertainty. People are being laid off when they said there would not be people laid off. People are unsure about their jobs.

Advice to Management

Be open and honest with employees throughout integration.

Was a great company to work in, awesome knowledge acquisition

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at SAP Business Objects

Pros

Great people network around the world All the place I've been working was really well furnished. High end product, usage of many inovative features Ability to work in many place Their customer satifaction is another good idea This company is also well known to pay above average salaries.

Cons

The recent acquisition which will become another so big company with no leadership Some unconstructible management decisions from the last 2 years Do not have enough communication for their product, at least in Europe Their current strategy isn't as clear at it was when they dealed with only BI customer, now with customs solutions for various domain (HR, banking), it is harder to have a good vision of all their product.

Advice to Management

Regular developper could have very good idea of the market, it is not exclusive or analyst or gartner chart!

Remember the good ol' days

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at SAP Business Objects

Pros

The work ethics of my peers and the way that employees used to be treated. Compensation was fair and there was a clear understanding of the importance of personal development.

Cons

Lack of honest communication from Senior Management and clear articlulation of the future of the company. Change management component of the acquisition was/continues to be an abysmal failure. Also, some of the EMEA management team lacks and understanding of the way to effectively manage in a global setting which leads to an us against them mentality.

Advice to Management

Be honest...trust your employees...they are smarter than you give them credit for. Don't let people make it up because they don't have a clue what is going on.

Good company faces uncertainty in wake of acquisition

Former Employee - Decline to State in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Decline to State in San Jose, CA

I worked at SAP Business Objects

Pros

Knowledgeable and helpful team. Collegial environment (depending on what group you are in). Getting involved in projects outside of your domain is encouraged. Now part of SAP (helps with "brand recognition" value for resume). Very good benefits (French origins contribute to that)

Cons

Uncertainty associated with acquisition by SAP. Senior management was not very communicative after the SAP acquisition was announced. Certain departments not particularly accommodating to alternative or flexible work schedules

Advice to Management

Overcommunicate. There was an interview in yesterday's Wall St. Journal with AT&T Wireless' leader, and this was the word he used to describe what the most important thing management can do during an acquisition. At Business Objects, after the SAP acquisition, rumors abounded and were permitted to fester (and still do). That's why the leadership needs to overcommunicate about what's going on with the acquisition.

RSS Feed </> Embed