SAP

3.8 1,645 reviews

SAP Co-CEO's Bill McDermott & Jim Hagemann Snabe

Bill McDermott & Jim Hagemann Snabe

1,645 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "variety of work opportunities, access to deep technical expertise, work life balance"
    in 235 reviews
  • "The company also has a flexible work environment and work from home options"
    in 111 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance can either be great or awful depending on which group you are in"
    in 61 reviews
  • "Disproportionate non-technical middle management in charge of technical projects"
    in 31 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company, Great Benefits

Vice President (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I worked at SAP full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Company that offers what they promise. Strong German Culture. Flex Work approach. Benefits and bonuses always paid out.

ConsHierarchical structure and management interactions in some groups could be challenging political environment. Some managers are micro managers. Sometimes the way the organization runs doesn't allow to extract the full potential of an employee. Responsibilities are limited at times. Too many cooks in the kitchen often results in projects running out of synch and lengthy unproductive ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivate employees more. Hire and Retain Talent.

Developer at SAP

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Dublin, CA

ProsNice Environment, culture, defined projects

ConsLow Income, no innovation, hard to define career path

Good place to work but people take advantage

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SAP full-time

ProsGood executive management that cares about the employees. Management is transparent to its employees. There are a bunch of people in the company who want to take on challenges & want to make a difference in the industry. The CTO of the company is a good leader with qualities needed to make SAP competitive.

ConsEven though SAP has a great deal of positive energy, there are many people in the company who take advantage of it. Layers of mid-level management which do nothing but talk. I have seen many of them who have been here for years and do a lot of talking but deliver nothing useful to customers. CTO & leadership have a vision and SAP needs to cut all the layers of fat & create flat hierarchy of engineers to deliver the vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen someone starts talking, stop them and ask them to show what/when they will deliver. Talk to them about the results after they have delivered and give them constructive feedback.

Account Executives be judicious before you accept offer

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at SAP for more than a year

ProsI was an Account Executive as a Technology Specialist (examples: mobility, technology, hana etc.)
- Passionate leadership.
- very comfortable work environment and provided equipment
- innovative solutions (but are double edged if measure on rate of adoption)

Cons- Primary account execs not motivated by compensation plan to ensure inclusion of secondary products (specialist sales) are included in deals. They do get commission, but there should be a factor placed on whole deal for including the secondary products to better motivate them.
- Part of selling newer technology at times of early market adoption maturity is investing in relationships with customers whose revenue is further out.
- Sales compensation of these less mature technologies should include engagements and efforts leading to "advisor status" for future funded projects.
- Frequent and involuntary territory changes with poor split compensation policy (only compensated for 30 days after change for any of your existing opportunities / efforts prior to change of territory)
- very lopsided distribution of territories/ accounts, and of Customers with Funded sales cycles (the only way to make your number) are very unevenly distributed across sales reps.
- FOR any prospective Account Executive, choose to only accept position if you have responsibility that includes some mature technologies, as well as established and recurring existing customers if you want a prayer of hitting quota.

Advice to Senior Management- You have some very talented employees in your sales organization who are setup to fail due to poor distribution of accounts and methods of measurement for some of the specific products.

Senior Director Ecosystem and Channel

Senior Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at SAP full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeople are great, global work environment

ConsPolitical culture in upper management. Limited senior management roles for those not politically connected.

A fun, truly international company

Consultant (Former Employee)
Downers Grove, IL

I worked at SAP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDiversity, great work/life balance, and awesome benefits.

ConsSoftware consulting was/is sensitive to swings in the economy so projects can get stalled with a moment's notice. That experience left me in limbo and killed my consulting career.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great here.

Very positive experience

Client Partner (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at SAP full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people in the field are all willing to support you. Great team work and great people. Very good money if you have the right accounts/territory

ConsInternal politics are very tough and can be career limiting if you are on the wrong side. Difficult and time consuming to learn the internal network.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo comment

Nice place to work

Developer Intern (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at SAP as an intern for less than a year

ProsVery friendly work environment, good technical support from your buddy

Conssmall office, limited growth opportunity

Work on improving people's life

User Experience Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at SAP full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great culture
- Some good training for employees
- The work involve a wide number of users. if you want to make impact on a big scale this is the place to do it.

Cons- Compensation is just average, you have to negotiate to get better pay
- Unclear on how to move up in the company, internal bureaucracy is a thing

Advice to Senior Management- Be clear on why people get promotion and how, be open to new faces

Innovative company on the acquisition track - but need to be in software if you want traction

Client Partner (Current Employee)

Prossmart people
innovative technology
recently introduced cloud solutions (are late to game but catching up quickly)

Conssuggest working in the software area or you will not be relevant (e.g. services is not as important)
hugely process oriented - very slow to respond
a lot of churn in the sales area
virtual team - con is that if you are new that going into the office gets you nothing as almost everyone is virtual.

Worked for SAP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SAP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SAP CEO Bill McDermott & Jim Hagemann Snabe. All 1,645 reviews posted anonymously by SAP employees.