SAP

3.8 1,641 reviews

SAP Co-CEO's Bill McDermott & Jim Hagemann Snabe

Bill McDermott & Jim Hagemann Snabe

1,641 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "variety of work opportunities, access to deep technical expertise, work life balance"
    in 235 reviews
  • "The company also has a flexible work environment and work from home options"
    in 111 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance can either be great or awful depending on which group you are in"
    in 61 reviews
  • "Disproportionate non-technical middle management in charge of technical projects"
    in 31 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Support Engineer (Current Employee)
Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at SAP full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat working environment. Great benifits. Frequent international travel as a consultant. Good reputation.

ConsFrequent international travel as a consultant.

Great company to work for!

I have been working at SAP for more than 10 years

ProsFair German culture, Open, on top of their game

ConsToo many layers and duplication of work

Great place to work

Program Director (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SAP full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOpportunity to work in different areas of product development

ConsGrowing too big and loosing employee attention

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate Consultant

I worked at SAP

ProsGreat benefits and good pay. The job also provides great travel opportunities to see the country and the world

ConsThe travel is extensive. Though you can see a lot of different places you are rarely home. When you are on a customer site you usually work long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsultant are re organized often so it is difficult to build a relationship with management. I suggest thinking about different solutions rather than re organizing the consultants every year.

Still a good place to work but a deteriorating environment for consultants

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SAP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- Good benefits package
- Growth company
- Learning materials readily available
- Most projects are M-Th and remote Friday

Cons- No mobility to new products when company direction changes, even if certifications are obtained in the new products
- Sales is not given incentives to promote services positions for implementation
- Price themselves out of project positions
- Reviews are fully focused on billable time for consultants but consultants are not given the full picture of available projects
- Full time projects any longer than a short duration are almost non-existent
- Focus on RDS methodology marginalizes consultants
- Bonus allocations continue to decline

Employee-oriented; German-dominated; sales-dominated.

Director (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SAP full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you're a technical person and work reasonably hard, you won't be laid off. Simple as that. Secure job for life. Lots of current innovations (HANA, mobility, etc).

ConsToo many salespeople on top. Significant confusion over strategy execution. Currently going through a transition.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more clarity on strategy. Need to provide employees with clear career growth path. Too many incompetent first-level managers who're wedded to their titles and power.

SAP offers great opportunities but bureaucracy and politics disappoints dramatically

Platinum Education Consultant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at SAP full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat compensation, Great benefits, great stock purchase program, great opportunities for growth

ConsYearly reorgs does not guarantee you will be here. Also, this does not provide any incentive to explore professional growth. The politics are of "Shark Tank" status and makes it difficult to manage career development.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just look for profits. Appreciate people for the hard work they do. Don't find ways of cheating them out of a larger bonus. They work hard and deserve it!

Good company poor management

I worked at SAP full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood benefits, training, and growth opportunity--as long as your on a visible team that is well promoted by its manager

ConsExtremely Eurocentric when I comes to adoption of new ideas. Too many middle managers that do NOT add any real value. Lack of diversity and the "good ole boy" network is truly in effect

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of mainly promoting individuals you like; try promoting those that are actually qualified into positions that matter.

Great company, terrible processes

I worked at SAP full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHaving worked with SAP internally and as a customer for 20 years, I have seen the ups, the downs, the sideways and the not-so-great. There are many technically brilliant people (particularly in Germany) happy to share knowledge and know-how, and almost endless opportunities for learning, with a competitive salary and benefits.

ConsContinous re-organisations are very stressful and difficult to handle; the predominantly sales-oriented current management is not focusing on products but on how to sell more.
Of course success goes through selling, but continously up-selling is destroying customers trust.
In addition, regular and almost random lay-offs are strange for a company deemed so successful, and represents a brain and experience drain. All that is new is not shiny.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-focus of product development, customer experience and transparency. The joint CEO model provided many benefits across geographies, now it is going to move to a strong US-based controls - could that mean trouble on the horizon?

Awesome

I have been working at SAP

ProsOverall company is great with very pleasant people

ConsMicro-Managers in departments where managers are not qualified for their jobs.

Worked for SAP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SAP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SAP CEO Bill McDermott & Jim Hagemann Snabe. All 1,641 reviews posted anonymously by SAP employees.