SAP

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.8 1,816 reviews

SAP CEO Bill McDermott

Bill McDermott

Pros
  • SAP has a great work life balance with lots of opportunities to work from home(in 277 reviews)

• Relaxed work environment without a huge amount of stress or pressure(in 135 reviews)

Cons
  • In general work life balance is good, past 2013 year it has been bad for me(in 78 reviews)

• Disproportionate non-technical middle management in charge of technical projects(in 34 reviews)

1,816 Employee Reviews

The need to network is unsatiable

SAP Technical Consultant (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat swell of people to network.
    Great benefits for all ages. Started with 3 week vacation.
    Best name in the business for notoriety. This will get you places.

ConsSlow moving a giant colossus of a company.
    Direction can be hard to understand from the ground level.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing direction.
    Use the people below you and stop thinking you're all made from Heaven

Good Experience

Senior Solution Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsProfessional team and top flight talent, as of 2008. Good Benefits. Excellent training curriculum for the product suite.

ConsProcess Intensive. Simply requesting a memory upgrade for a laptop might take up to two months to get approved. That being said, the process for booking business travel was streamlined, and painless.

SAP is a great company to work with multiple opportunities for growth

Program Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPay, benefits, culture, training, flexible work arrangements (telecommuting)

ConsFrequent changes in leadership w/in some departments/orgs, unclear direction at times

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to start or end your career

Internal Strategic Consultant (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood work life balance. Can take time off when needed.

ConsHard dealing with Germany and India when you are in the USA

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds more excitement for younger people.

Competitive compensation and benefits, good work-life balance, sometimes uninteresting technologies

Development Architect (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsSAP has competitive compensation, practically guaranteed large bonuses, benefits and even decent stock option and employ stock purchase programs for such a large company. Palo Alto campus is in a nice location and in general colleagues are easy to work with and have a good attitude towards achieving success, solving problems, etc. SAP typically has long retention, minimal attrition and very few layoffs (almost unheard of), which I believe speaks to the general happiness and satisfaction of the employees. Many colleagues have deep expertise and knowledge and in general are willing to share and help w/out the attitude that many very senior employees typically have at other tech companies.

ConsMuch of SAP technology is antiquated and if you are an engineer there's a good chance you'll be working with their business suite (their largest and most important/lucrative product) which is complex, outdated and implemented in a proprietary programming language called ABAP. In Palo Alto there is a fair amount of modern development including cloud, mobile, HTML5, etc. However to varying degrees you can never get away from the R3 ABAP stack. Efforts to modernize the SAP product line is sometimes misguided or does not make sense with today's trends, but nevertheless the effort is there and in general is bringing SAP into the modern software world, albeit on a somewhat bumpy road.

SAP

ProsGreat Place to work; Good culture

ConsLack of work/life balance sometimes

Solid company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsProgressive, super nice people, good work life balance.

ConsToo complex, too many systems, too many layers of management.

Very good place to work

Senior Quality Specialist (Former Employee) Concord, NH

ProsThe product I worked on was just a GUI tool for database management, so I wasnt at the heart of things, but I did get a pretty good sense that the company is strong and thriving, and seems to attract good people. I knew everyone in my office really well, and worked with many, many people in our team that were in other locations, and there was not one in the whole bunch that I didnt have a really good relationship with. The work was always rather intense, as most software was, and for us especially since if we werent ready on time, the main product itself that our GUI tool was for, was not going to be held up on its release date. But I had another job where it was 70 to 80 hours a week, and SAP was nothing like that kind of stress. AND -> we got 5 weeks [really, 5!] of vacation per year because SAP is a German company and they extended that to the US employees. WOW. I am now laid off - they closed our little office as part of a move to close down smaller locations, but gosh the severance was good and other than having been let go, they did it rather nicely

ConsNone other than the normal aggravations of trying to get complex projects out the door.

Treats Employees well. Can Move slow

Business Process Consultant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVery flexible work from home policy. Generous benefits, especially if you are at one of the HQ offices. For consultants, the expense policy is really liberal.

ConsCompany strategy changes a lot, things dont always move as quickly as you want them to go. It is difficult to move across departments, especially going from consulting to a non-revenue job.

Good people and projects

Quality Expert (Former Employee) Concord, NH

ProsVery good pay and benefits. Plenty of challenging work and chances to show initiative and lead projects.

ConsCorporate emphasis on locating employees on a project at the same location limits career opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to get long-term employees to buy into new corporate direction.

Worked for SAP? Contribute to the Community!