SAP Reviews

3.8
1,930 Reviews

SAP CEO Bill McDermott
Bill McDermott

Pros
  • SAP has a great work life balance with lots of opportunities to work from home (in 284 reviews)

• Relaxed work environment without a huge amount of stress or pressure (in 136 reviews)

Cons
  • In general work life balance is good, past 2013 year it has been bad for me (in 78 reviews)

• Disproportionate non-technical middle management in charge of technical projects (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a good place to work if your a Business Consultant.

Former Employee - Senior Applications Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Consultant

I worked at SAP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

When i started 8 years ago, there were a lot of learning opportunities and career opportunities. I wouldn't say that any more

Cons

I can only talk about delivery organization, since I worked in that domain.
    1) Too many managers
    2) Managers have no say in your career. Managers in delivery org. are nothing by HR coordinators.
    3) You are treated as a pawn, no visibility of whats going on in the organization.
    4) Even after 100% utilization, management has ridiculous reasons for cutting bonuses back.
    5) Bad pay master, considering people like me joined thinking low base pay will be offset by bonuses.
    6) No growth via hard work, only if you have a good network you will grow. Talent & consulting knowledge mean nothing. Promotion based on nepotism and your connections.

Fire all managers & directors who are not client facing in the consulting division. They are plain overheads.

Excellent enterprise software development company

I worked at SAP

Pros

Direct access to communicating with skilled German software engineers who can resolve technical matters.

Cons

Impetuous leadership vision to focus on sales and only sales while business implications at the time of software deployment suffer.

Approachable communication with upper management is needed. Talented subordinates have an insurmountable mechanism to address their issues when direct manager(s) are incapable to do their job.

Excellent core solutions for companies.

I have been working at SAP

Pros

International company with breadth and depth of solutions in all core business areas.

Cons

Too many changes, lack of growth for management talent coming from outside of the company into it.

Break up the political clique across all areas. It is not helping the company catalyze change.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of perks, for a lot of work

Former Employee - Support Engineer  in  Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at SAP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the best training available at a company. We're talking classroom, books, etc. provided. It's a real throwback to your college days.
    Some of the best compensation possible as well, such as a large salary, a bonus, and equipment.

Cons

Long, long hours. Your fat salary comes at the price of long hours. Don't expect a 40-hour work week here, at all. If you're unfortunate enough to be in a position that requires traveling, expect to see your family a lot less than you do now.

Keep it up with the great training, the fantastic cafeteria (low cost to employees), and the compensation.
    Make a better work-life balance, people have families and kids they would like to see every few days. Being stationed in the middle of nowhere for 5/7 days a week for weeks on end gets old.

No work-life balance when working at SAP

I worked at SAP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Getting to work with smart people

Cons

There is no work-life balance when working at SAP. Vacation is a luxury. You will be financially hurt when taking vacations.

Difficult to break into the little mafia clicks

Former Employee - Client Partner  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Partner in Chicago, IL

I worked at SAP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, great people for the most part

Cons

Promotions are difficult. If you are not in the click you will not move up or get looks at new opportunities. Performance reviews can be more personal than business related. Errors in judgement are never forgot or forgiven, difficult to overcome once management has a set perception.

Make sure the little mafia's that develop are broken up. This culture will continue to keep quality employees from staying.

Innovations stifled outside Germany

I have been working at SAP full-time

Pros

Compensation, work-life balance. Mobility of non-management staff - i.e. can move teams/orgs relatively easily.

Cons

Too much talk and not enough action. Frequent change in direction. Frequent re-orgs. Management career very limited outside Germany. Control on everything almost exclusively in Germany and expect others to just be puppets.

If you consider yourself a global company then act like one. Don't be too German-centric and don't consider external sites such as US campuses a threat. You try to promote innovation but at the same time you stifle it just because it comes from outside Germany.

Too big to fail, I hope

Current Employee - IT Administrator  in  Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - IT Administrator in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at SAP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good brand. Will be good to have on resume for the future.

Cons

Too many people are coasting in their jobs, not my responsibility attitude.
    Too many responsibilities have been outsourced and the employees are only managing these contracts.
    Hard to describe what we sell to others.

Too many managers/directors and not enough people doing work.
    I get inspired during quarterly meetings but nothing seems to changed afterwards.

not bad company, a good company you can stay for years

I worked at SAP

Pros

free lunch, work life blance

Cons

salary is just average, and work content

Good workplace overall - May have a turmoil ahead?

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at SAP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Has solid policies & processes in place.
    - Work/Live balance has improved in the last few months.
    - A performing product (HANA) run by a company with strong user-base.
    - Great benefits and salary.
    - Employees are mostly friendly and collaborative.

Cons

- Recent mass layoff let go of many high-performing employees based simply on geographic location, leaving many not-so good performing employees in HQs.
    - Career path is not often times not clearly defined; promotions are often tied to political positioning of the individual
    - Every year first 4 to 6 months are in chaos while management take time to decide what employees supposed to achieve in the remaining 6 months of the year.
    - Often processes are too "German" and too process-oriented

- Strong alignment with the cutting-edge technology as well as the ability to be more agile will determine the future of this company.
    - Retain the talent.
    - Simplify communication before simplifying the workforce.

Worked for SAP? Contribute to the Community!