SAP

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.8 1,833 reviews

SAP CEO Bill McDermott

Bill McDermott

Pros
  • SAP has a great work life balance with lots of opportunities to work from home (in 284 reviews)

• Relaxed work environment without a huge amount of stress or pressure (in 136 reviews)

Cons
  • In general work life balance is good, past 2013 year it has been bad for me (in 78 reviews)

• Disproportionate non-technical middle management in charge of technical projects (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights
1,833 Employee Reviews

Very good place to work

Senior Quality Specialist (Former Employee) Concord, NH

ProsThe product I worked on was just a GUI tool for database management, so I wasnt at the heart of things, but I did get a pretty good sense that the company is strong and thriving, and seems to attract good people. I knew everyone in my office really well, and worked with many, many people in our team that were in other locations, and there was not one in the whole bunch that I didnt have a really good relationship with. The work was always rather intense, as most software was, and for us especially since if we werent ready on time, the main product itself that our GUI tool was for, was not going to be held up on its release date. But I had another job where it was 70 to 80 hours a week, and SAP was nothing like that kind of stress. AND -> we got 5 weeks [really, 5!] of vacation per year because SAP is a German company and they extended that to the US employees. WOW. I am now laid off - they closed our little office as part of a move to close down smaller locations, but gosh the severance was good and other than having been let go, they did it rather nicely

ConsNone other than the normal aggravations of trying to get complex projects out the door.

Treats Employees well. Can Move slow

Business Process Consultant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVery flexible work from home policy. Generous benefits, especially if you are at one of the HQ offices. For consultants, the expense policy is really liberal.

ConsCompany strategy changes a lot, things dont always move as quickly as you want them to go. It is difficult to move across departments, especially going from consulting to a non-revenue job.

Review for SAP

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChance to work for a global company with teams in different locations and different culture backgrounds. Good pay with good benefits, telecommute if you want to.

ConsHad to work late hours or early morning due to time zone difference,went through re-org at least once a year. Better to be at the "right" locations, seems US is not on that list.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great career skills development

ProsAble to work in various parts of the organization to learn about different aspects of the business. Great benefits. Great group of people to work with.

ConsWork-Life balance is very hard to attain. Have to sometimes work during your vacations. When you finally de-stress while on vacation, you jump back into stress on your first minutes back from vacation. Career development education and training is hard to accomplish due to constantly being on the go.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to take better care of your employees who do the day in and day out work. Too many VPs !

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Disappointing experience, all top talent is leaving

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsHuge customer base, that is about it.

ConsProducts are perceived in the market as old technology with bad user experience. Constant change in leadership (top and middle management); terrible culture; although they are trying to attract young talent they continue to fail to deliver on talent-development programs; rampant nepotism; lack of accountability, too many "legacy" employees with high salaries who are not bought into the idea of bringing new talent onboard and most importantly, keeping it!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really have to do something about the company's culture. If you want to attract young talent your current employees need to be bought into your vision, it is not enough to continue pouring money in new "Leadership Development Programs" that over-promise and under-deliver.

Frustrating Processes

Inside Sales Executive (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsFantastic benefits, large client base to sell to. Good work-life balance.

ConsInside sales is trying to find its stride. While a few reps fall in to large deals, most are scraping by and not meeting their numbers. It all depends on the territory you are assigned. The processes are not set up to handle volume transactions. To get a closed deal booked and delivered is laborious. Additionally, SAP support seems to drop the ball often, causing the clients to reach out to inside sales in desperation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current mantra is "simplify everything so we can do anything", but no formal teams are tasked specifically with doing this. This absolutely needs to be done.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good for now, but outlook for technical employees uncertain

ProsThe departments I've been involved with are accepting of remote working and flexible hours.
    Decent benefits, with 401K matching and contributions to HSA.
    Interesting projects to work on.

ConsAt the time of this review, there is a major re-org taking place in North America. Entire technical teams (dev, QA, doc, support, management) are being laid off, and whoever is left has to pick up the slack on already short-handed teams. If you're looking in the Bay Area, it's probably alright, but I'd be wary of smaller locations, as their days may be numbered.

Rigid and lacking thought-leadership

Vice President (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMany 'virtual' roles offer flexible work/life balance. My role requires me to travel 2-3 days per week and then work from home. The compensation package is very competitive as well.

ConsConflicting company values and strategic direction. Internal processes make it virtually impossible to get anything accomplished. Leadership cares more about the font and color used in a Power Point slide than the content.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a queue from Microsoft and eliminate a few middle layers of management.

Quality Assurance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome Team Culture
    Open to new initiatives

ConsNeed more better direction and commitment from middle level management

Large company, complicated processes

ProsGood pay, great benefits, flexible hours, ability to work remotely

ConsCompany is so large and internal processes are overly complicated. It's terribly difficult and frustrating to get anything done because of all the road blocks.

Worked for SAP? Contribute to the Community!