SAP

www.sap.com

SAP Reviews

Pros
  • SAP has a great work life balance with lots of opportunities to work from home (in 284 reviews)

• Relaxed work environment without a huge amount of stress or pressure (in 136 reviews)

Cons
  • In general work life balance is good, past 2013 year it has been bad for me (in 78 reviews)

• Disproportionate non-technical middle management in charge of technical projects (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

great place to work for with minor tweaks

Strategic Planning, Director (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Proscareer opportunities are good and there is a will to support it

Constough culture to accomodate if you are new into the org.

Advice to Senior Managementi think the salaries need to be more in par with competition esp. for loyal employees who have served for a longer duration

Hey, a software company that doesn't make you wear their logo on all articles of clothing.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Newtown Square, PA

ProsExtremely bright people who are doing work that actually impacts the businesses who buy our software. Culture appreciates knowledge, integrity, and hard work. Nice to work for a software company that doesn't want to "hit it big with the next whizbang idea"....but rather wants to improve how business get us the products and services we need.

ConsMany of the German employees view the American employees as "a step lower." Not incredibly so, but noticeable at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaking our software easier to work with would not take a miracle -- just a desire from above.

Great and stable company

Director (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsYou can really make things happen here. Rather flat hierarchies, very globally oriented company with loads of very smart people. Senior management is very accessible and it is a very stable employer who really protects their employees. Given the international setup there are a lot of opportunities to travel, work in intercultural setups, work accross different time zones and interaction between employees is very informal. Flexible work time agreements, generous vacation packages even in the US, possibilities to explore different carreer pathes. It is the leader in business applications and tends to make the right decisions.

ConsOnce you joined in a position and most importantly salary range, it is significantly tougher to make salary jumps as opposed when you join externally. Guess this is the flip side of the coin, where hierarchies are rather flat so there is limited opportunities for growth in the classical management carreer path, even though SAP offers expert carreer pathes and project management carreer pathes to compensate for this. Outside recognition of those titles though is awkward for interaction with customers.
    It is a very much consensus driven company which at times hinders fast paced innovation, creating internal competition rather than the best possible synergetic approaches

Advice to Senior ManagementDraft internal talent more effectively

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good opportunities at a solid company but be prepared to work hard

Solutions Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsLots of opportunity, a solid company, new things to learn. SAP has good products and a pretty solid management team. Of course, there are good things and bad things about SAP and there are good and bad managers. But, as a whole, it's a good company to work for if you can deal with working for a big company. It definitely doesn't have a start-up feel and after 4 years I still don't understand the org structure. But, you can grow at SAP and the benefits typically seem to outway the issues. Pay and benefits are pretty competitive and there's even a pension.

ConsHard work. Culture is to work very hard and long hours. SAP always wants more from employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut back on administrative activities and focus more on performance.

After 20 years in the workforce, I'm happy to be working for SAP

Project Manager (Current Employee) Newtown Square, PA

Prosrespect for employees, excellent benefits, good salaries, recognition for hard work and time invested

Consthe most extensive "meeting" culture I've ever seen in a 20-year career - I could spend 60 hours a week in meetings if I accepted all my invitations; as a global organization, the workday can extend from early morning hours to connect with the European colleagues all the way to very late nights to connect with the APJ (SIngapore, Australia) colleagues

Advice to Senior Managementpick one day per week to be meeting-free and penalize people who don't obey

A highly networked highly globalized company

Director (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsFlexible work/live arrangements. Truly global. Diverse employee base. Reliable cash compensation.

ConsAdvancement in grade can be a bit slow. Advancement in responsibilities can be even slower. Very process oriented.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe could probably do without one full layer of management that we currently have.

Market Leader, Innovative but Bureaucratic

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMarket leadership in the enterprise software space, a competent management team, an open culture (at least within SAP Global Marketing which is based primarily in New York and Palo Alto,) a continuous desire to do better. A very distinct strategy compared to the primary competitor - something that has been successful thus far.
    On average folks are very sharp - a lot of ex-management consultants from top strategy firms such as McKinsey, BCG, Booz. Also, top of the line compensation, some generous benefits e.g. free lunch, soda, water, coffee.

Overall agree with company strategy, its focus on employees and customer value creation.

ConsLarge organization that can feel difficult to navigate. Also, bureaucratic for a tech company though not sure how it compares with other organizations with 50,000+ employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLets shake things up in things that do not add value but at the same time don't go overboard in the whole sales focused culture

Dynamic firm that is growing

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGrowth, and complex business solutions

ConsBalancing personal life with the work schedule vs. the rewards that are reaped.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to look at the overall value and invest a little more in customer care. Need to buy more companies to ensure the growth and increase margin

SAP needs a Board Member that is up to speed with silicon valley

Director (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Prossecurity, flow, colleages, workload is ok

Consif you want cutting edge technology and innovate, this is not the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore innovation and structured processes would help reduce cost and get ahead. we need act now to stay in the game in the next 10 years. erp wont make it until then.

SAP is in a transition...

Director (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Pros- recognized leader on the software market. Customers listen to you, you have extended power when you wear SAP shirt. You influence the market

- lots of opportunities to change the job without changing the employer. You can move and advance from one role to another without leaving SAP (product development, consulting, marketing, sales, etc.)

- global company. You may travel A LOT if you like and you will work with people from different locations with different cultures, traditions, norms, and pace of work

Cons- back to ABAP;
    - very slow, monstrous decision making process;
    - lots of people working nowhere but at SAP;

Advice to Senior Management- increase intrapeneurship;
    - make people accountable;
    - make decisions;

Worked for SAP? Contribute to the Community!