SAP

SAP Reviews

4.1

SAP CEO Bill McDermott
Bill McDermott

Pros
  • good work/life balance (relaxed work environment without stress or pressure) (in 331 reviews)

• Relaxed work environment without a huge amount of stress or pressure (in 150 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is encouraged, but some positions make it difficult to maintain (in 95 reviews)

• Disproportionate non-technical middle management in charge of technical projects (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

great place to work for with minor tweaks

Current Employee - Strategic Planning, Director in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Strategic Planning, Director in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SAP

Pros

career opportunities are good and there is a will to support it

Cons

tough culture to accomodate if you are new into the org.

i think the salaries need to be more in par with competition esp. for loyal employees who have served for a longer duration

Hey, a software company that doesn't make you wear their logo on all articles of clothing.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at SAP

Pros

Extremely bright people who are doing work that actually impacts the businesses who buy our software. Culture appreciates knowledge, integrity, and hard work. Nice to work for a software company that doesn't want to "hit it big with the next whizbang idea"....but rather wants to improve how business get us the products and services we need.

Cons

Many of the German employees view the American employees as "a step lower." Not incredibly so, but noticeable at times.

Making our software easier to work with would not take a miracle -- just a desire from above.

Great and stable company

I have been working at SAP

Pros

You can really make things happen here. Rather flat hierarchies, very globally oriented company with loads of very smart people. Senior management is very accessible and it is a very stable employer who really protects their employees. Given the international setup there are a lot of opportunities to travel, work in intercultural setups, work accross different time zones and interaction between employees is very informal. Flexible work time agreements, generous vacation packages even in the US, possibilities to explore different carreer pathes. It is the leader in business applications and tends to make the right decisions.

Cons

Once you joined in a position and most importantly salary range, it is significantly tougher to make salary jumps as opposed when you join externally. Guess this is the flip side of the coin, where hierarchies are rather flat so there is limited opportunities for growth in the classical management carreer path, even though SAP offers expert carreer pathes and project management carreer pathes to compensate for this. Outside recognition of those titles though is awkward for interaction with customers.
    It is a very much consensus driven company which at times hinders fast paced innovation, creating internal competition rather than the best possible synergetic approaches

Draft internal talent more effectively

Good opportunities at a solid company but be prepared to work hard

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SAP

Pros

Lots of opportunity, a solid company, new things to learn. SAP has good products and a pretty solid management team. Of course, there are good things and bad things about SAP and there are good and bad managers. But, as a whole, it's a good company to work for if you can deal with working for a big company. It definitely doesn't have a start-up feel and after 4 years I still don't understand the org structure. But, you can grow at SAP and the benefits typically seem to outway the issues. Pay and benefits are pretty competitive and there's even a pension.

Cons

Hard work. Culture is to work very hard and long hours. SAP always wants more from employees.

Cut back on administrative activities and focus more on performance.

After 20 years in the workforce, I'm happy to be working for SAP

Current Employee - Project Manager in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at SAP

Pros

respect for employees, excellent benefits, good salaries, recognition for hard work and time invested

Cons

the most extensive "meeting" culture I've ever seen in a 20-year career - I could spend 60 hours a week in meetings if I accepted all my invitations; as a global organization, the workday can extend from early morning hours to connect with the European colleagues all the way to very late nights to connect with the APJ (SIngapore, Australia) colleagues

pick one day per week to be meeting-free and penalize people who don't obey

A highly networked highly globalized company

I have been working at SAP

Pros

Flexible work/live arrangements. Truly global. Diverse employee base. Reliable cash compensation.

Cons

Advancement in grade can be a bit slow. Advancement in responsibilities can be even slower. Very process oriented.

We could probably do without one full layer of management that we currently have.

Market Leader, Innovative but Bureaucratic

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at SAP

Pros

Market leadership in the enterprise software space, a competent management team, an open culture (at least within SAP Global Marketing which is based primarily in New York and Palo Alto,) a continuous desire to do better. A very distinct strategy compared to the primary competitor - something that has been successful thus far.
    On average folks are very sharp - a lot of ex-management consultants from top strategy firms such as McKinsey, BCG, Booz. Also, top of the line compensation, some generous benefits e.g. free lunch, soda, water, coffee.

Overall agree with company strategy, its focus on employees and customer value creation.

Cons

Large organization that can feel difficult to navigate. Also, bureaucratic for a tech company though not sure how it compares with other organizations with 50,000+ employees.

Lets shake things up in things that do not add value but at the same time don't go overboard in the whole sales focused culture

Dynamic firm that is growing

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at SAP

Pros

Growth, and complex business solutions

Cons

Balancing personal life with the work schedule vs. the rewards that are reaped.

Need to look at the overall value and invest a little more in customer care. Need to buy more companies to ensure the growth and increase margin

SAP needs a Board Member that is up to speed with silicon valley

I have been working at SAP

Pros

security, flow, colleages, workload is ok

Cons

if you want cutting edge technology and innovate, this is not the place.

More innovation and structured processes would help reduce cost and get ahead. we need act now to stay in the game in the next 10 years. erp wont make it until then.

SAP is in a transition...

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SAP

Pros

- recognized leader on the software market. Customers listen to you, you have extended power when you wear SAP shirt. You influence the market

- lots of opportunities to change the job without changing the employer. You can move and advance from one role to another without leaving SAP (product development, consulting, marketing, sales, etc.)

- global company. You may travel A LOT if you like and you will work with people from different locations with different cultures, traditions, norms, and pace of work

Cons

- back to ABAP;
    - very slow, monstrous decision making process;
    - lots of people working nowhere but at SAP;

- increase intrapeneurship;