SAP Reviews

3.8
1,881 Reviews

SAP CEO Bill McDermott
Bill McDermott

Pros
  • SAP has a great work life balance with lots of opportunities to work from home (in 284 reviews)

• Relaxed work environment without a huge amount of stress or pressure (in 136 reviews)

Cons
  • In general work life balance is good, past 2013 year it has been bad for me (in 78 reviews)

• Disproportionate non-technical middle management in charge of technical projects (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company but process heavy

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at SAP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company to work for quality of life balance. Things change frequently, which keeps any job at the company interesting. Great compensation and benefits. Management is excellent in communicating information to the workforce. Vast amount of training opportunities.

Cons

The many job function and department silos can make it challenging to get things done, despite management's belief that people should feel empowered to make decisions.

Streamline overlapping job functions if the goal is to become a more agile work environment.

SAP is a great company to work with multiple opportunities for growth

Former Employee - Program Manager
    Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at SAP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay, benefits, culture, training, flexible work arrangements (telecommuting)

Cons

Frequent changes in leadership w/in some departments/orgs, unclear direction at times

Senior Account Executive

I have been working at SAP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Innovative, great products, great marketing, global brand

Cons

Very current quarter focussed. If you have a good patch, then it is a great place and you have the time and space to build relationships and develop your pipeline/opportunities. If you have a bad patch, you are micro managed, and do not have as much time to engage with your customers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Competitive compensation and benefits, good work-life balance, sometimes uninteresting technologies

Current Employee - Development Architect  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Development Architect in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SAP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

SAP has competitive compensation, practically guaranteed large bonuses, benefits and even decent stock option and employ stock purchase programs for such a large company. Palo Alto campus is in a nice location and in general colleagues are easy to work with and have a good attitude towards achieving success, solving problems, etc. SAP typically has long retention, minimal attrition and very few layoffs (almost unheard of), which I believe speaks to the general happiness and satisfaction of the employees. Many colleagues have deep expertise and knowledge and in general are willing to share and help w/out the attitude that many very senior employees typically have at other tech companies.

Cons

Much of SAP technology is antiquated and if you are an engineer there's a good chance you'll be working with their business suite (their largest and most important/lucrative product) which is complex, outdated and implemented in a proprietary programming language called ABAP. In Palo Alto there is a fair amount of modern development including cloud, mobile, HTML5, etc. However to varying degrees you can never get away from the R3 ABAP stack. Efforts to modernize the SAP product line is sometimes misguided or does not make sense with today's trends, but nevertheless the effort is there and in general is bringing SAP into the modern software world, albeit on a somewhat bumpy road.

Great company to start or end your career

Current Employee - Internal Strategic Consultant  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Internal Strategic Consultant in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SAP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance. Can take time off when needed.

Cons

Hard dealing with Germany and India when you are in the USA

Needs more excitement for younger people.

SAP

I have been working at SAP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Place to work; Good culture

Cons

Lack of work/life balance sometimes

Solid company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at SAP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Progressive, super nice people, good work life balance.

Cons

Too complex, too many systems, too many layers of management.

Good people and projects

Former Employee - Quality Expert  in  Concord, NH
    Former Employee - Quality Expert in Concord, NH

I worked at SAP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very good pay and benefits. Plenty of challenging work and chances to show initiative and lead projects.

Cons

Corporate emphasis on locating employees on a project at the same location limits career opportunities.

Need to get long-term employees to buy into new corporate direction.

Treats Employees well. Can Move slow

Former Employee - Business Process Consultant  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Business Process Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at SAP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible work from home policy. Generous benefits, especially if you are at one of the HQ offices. For consultants, the expense policy is really liberal.

Cons

Company strategy changes a lot, things dont always move as quickly as you want them to go. It is difficult to move across departments, especially going from consulting to a non-revenue job.

Very good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Quality Specialist  in  Concord, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Specialist in Concord, NH

I worked at SAP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The product I worked on was just a GUI tool for database management, so I wasnt at the heart of things, but I did get a pretty good sense that the company is strong and thriving, and seems to attract good people. I knew everyone in my office really well, and worked with many, many people in our team that were in other locations, and there was not one in the whole bunch that I didnt have a really good relationship with. The work was always rather intense, as most software was, and for us especially since if we werent ready on time, the main product itself that our GUI tool was for, was not going to be held up on its release date. But I had another job where it was 70 to 80 hours a week, and SAP was nothing like that kind of stress. AND -> we got 5 weeks [really, 5!] of vacation per year because SAP is a German company and they extended that to the US employees. WOW. I am now laid off - they closed our little office as part of a move to close down smaller locations, but gosh the severance was good and other than having been let go, they did it rather nicely

Cons

None other than the normal aggravations of trying to get complex projects out the door.

Worked for SAP? Contribute to the Community!