SAP

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.8 1,833 reviews

SAP CEO Bill McDermott

Bill McDermott

Pros
  • SAP has a great work life balance with lots of opportunities to work from home (in 284 reviews)

• Relaxed work environment without a huge amount of stress or pressure (in 136 reviews)

Cons
  • In general work life balance is good, past 2013 year it has been bad for me (in 78 reviews)

• Disproportionate non-technical middle management in charge of technical projects (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights
1,833 Employee Reviews

Typical Large Company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe Company has great benefits and great pay.

ConsThe company decision-making process is simply too "silo-ed". The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and it leads to decisions that can be detrimental to the entire organization (because the decision was made with the good of a single organization in mind).

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the silos. Product decisions need to be made at a product level, with input from each of the silos that are affected by it. Not making decisions within a single silo that affect every silo that the product touches.

SAP's cultural conundrum...

Sales (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart people, great eco-system, strong assets and customer install base

ConsInternal politics and confusion around messaging. Have struggled to pay people correctly and on time. Still focused in the on premise world and need to adjust more rapidly to be "the cloud company"

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency, Environment of Trust, Execute on the Simplification Message, Truly embrace the cloud, Need to make a radical change to stop good people from leaving

Great opportunity with the right support.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat pay and some benefits that compare to other large corporations. Lot's of chances to learn more via their online university as well. Very flexible with working locations/hours: telecommute okay with most groups.

ConsAbsolute the worst in terms of overlapping groups and projects. So much duplication it's a wonder things still progress at all. If you do not know right person or have support from an influential boss, good luck moving up in the company or getting more than a normal 3% bump.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate the duplicate and reallocate the resources else where. Stop letting VPs hire their friends for team lead positions that have no idea what they are doing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Changes are coming

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Newtown Square, PA

ProsIt's still big so the influence will remain strong for a while.

ConsA lot of high level changes such as Vishal's suddenly leaving for InfoSys. SAP is yet to put out an official announcement but Vishal's already assume his office in the new company. As for the small potatos, it is NOT easy to switch to another team - people tried and left.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need much more clarity to build confidence on our leadership. The bottom line is we need solid confidence on the software SAP produces - please try to avoid failures such as Windows Vista, Window 8 from happening at SAP coz we have already seen some bad ones...

Too many layers

ProsDecent pay; decent bonuses
    Great colleagues

ConsWhenever layoffs occur, all global locations are affected except Germany
    Time off is very uneven among all locations

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more; talk less

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Developer

Development Architect (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsIt is very large well run company, very stable with good benefit, such as various resource to get training, flexible working hour, and free lunch. Great working environment in Palo Alto Campus.

ConsMost of products are home grown, a little bit off from the new technologies which are popular outside the company. Two many re-org. which sometimes cause big overhead. There are two many layers on the management structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused, and avoid too frequent strategy changes.

Leveraging Market Leadership to adapt to evolving marketplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSAP has the long standing relationship with its customers that give it a trusted advisor status that is a great asset. Collaborative work culture filled with highly talented people who operate with high integrity.

ConsGiven SAP's size, there is a highly matrixed environment that can slow things down, but it also ensures initiatives are well thought out and professionally executed.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue culture of strong leaders, who can recognize, develop, and nurture talent.

Great place to work and build a career

Principal Applications Consultant (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMarket competitive pay, good benefits, multiple career paths available

ConsNeed a Godfather to pull you up

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more weight age to customer feedback about your Consultants

Good company, good people, good life/work balance

Director, Marketing (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood team, virtual work, global, easy going people

ConsEverything must be run through the headquarters in Waldorf, Germany
    Recent lay offs in North America

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't reorg company and change vision so often

Overall, satisfactory, but the touted "opportunties abound at SAP", is not exactly true.

ProsThe opportuntity for the company to do interesting things is great. Being part of such a well-known and respected brand has been great. Lots of great employee programs are run - fitness, wellness, financial planning assistance etc.

ConsYou are a number. Unless you stand up and shout and jump up and down, you are not recognized. The company is so large, and there are so many layers of people, it is very hard to navigate to find the stakeholders that have any influence.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for people who are doing great things at ALL levels.

Worked for SAP? Contribute to the Community!