SAS Institute

SAS Institute Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

SAS Institute CEO Jim Goodnight

Jim Goodnight

Pros
  • Great work life balance but very challenging at the same time(in 79 reviews)

• relaxing working environment, great benefits including child care support(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to move around in the company unless you are at HQ(in 6 reviews)

• Top R&D leadership is questionable due to perceived erratic behavior and decision making(in 9 reviews)

Great place to work

R&D Director (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsCompany truly cares about its employees. A lot of very talented people to work with, If you want to make a difference you can. You can make opportunities for yourself if you have a good idea.

ConsR&D executive management has good ideas, but execution has been comical lately. Compensation is just average. With a lot of tech companies in the area hiring heavily, may start to lose key people.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the hard decisions so that people can start moving forward again. We've been in a holding pattern for the last 6 months.

nice company to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHigh-tech company
    Very friendly people,
    Not pressful
    Big campus full of green
    On campus daycare, gym
    Good universities around

ConsMid-size city, lack of various entertainments
    very hot in summer,

The Wrong Resources

Intern (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsThe people at SAS are amazing and make it a joy to work (in Cary). The campus is beautiful and many a stressful day was relieved by a walk through the woods. The food is excellent and has reduced prices. Good amenities on site (massage, facial, gym, etc.). Had a lot of fun at times working there. Felt really valued by my manager.

ConsOne word: Politics. There is something wrong with a company that keeps someone employed because they're a friend of senior management but they do no actual real work. It makes the people who do their work and excel lose motivation and feel like what's the point? Upper management is stuck in some kind of caste system where good ideas from younger workers are ignored. Promises about promotions aren't kept. There is a feeling that SAS is lagging behind in terms of new technology. Resources are wasted. Too many unnecessary parties.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to a clear path, stop moving in cliques around campus.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrific place to work. Managed like someone wants you to work there.

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsGreat work life balance but very challenging at the same time. While the benefits are second to none, the real fun of working at SAS is the problems we try to solve. Very advanced statistical procedures shed light on real world problems.

ConsIn house training is about all that is available. Tuition reimbursement would be nice. Advancement is somewhat limited by a relatively flat organizational structure so if you want to manage groups, it might not be the best for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSteady as she goes..

Sas does a great job at making every employee feel like they are valued in the workplace.

User Experience Design Specialist (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsOverall, as an intern, I am treated like a valuable employee, and that is simply incredible. This is a great place to start my career.

ConsOverall, there are far more developers than designers of software and therefore, the pace of production does not go as smoothly as it could if there was a more even ratio.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing a fantastic job!

Number one place to work!

Senior User Experience Designer (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsBenefits, work/life balance, interesting work

ConsOne owner, location, some parochial behaviors

Chaos reigns

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Cary, NC

ProsNice campus and benefits. Private offices.

ConsR&D lacks a leader that is committed to all R&D employees and has a plan to transition the work focus in a sane and rational manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the head of R&D.

Good opportunities if you are at Cary headquarters.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and campus, opportunities for job progression or lateral changes over time. Good products.

ConsManagement musical chairs. Constant reorganizations, management changes. Benefits and perks not as good for employees working in field offices away from HQ. These employees are also overlooked for key jobs. Company is owned by two founders -- no board of directors, no employee ownership, no external oversight of any kind. Makes campus feel like a kingdom run by CEO with no moderating influences.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed executive succession plan.

Best Company to work for

ProsWork life balance, motivation, freedom and responsibility

ConsNil. There are no Cons.

Great company

Senior Technical Architect (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsGood benefits, very good environment, stable

Consnot very aggressive, not public

Advice to Senior Managementpromotions

Worked for SAS Institute? Contribute to the Community!